Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Aaron Griffin

Default Move libtorrent-rasterbar to extra

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:01, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I want to move libtorrent-rasterbar to [extra] to add as a dependency
>>> for deluge and close this bug report:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12764
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>
>> Not from me. We don't have "the other libtorrent" in extra either, so
>> if you feel like it, you could always rename it as just
>> "libtorrent"... though that means Jeff would have to update rtorrent
>> in community.
>>
> Would renaming it work properly? Can pacman handle versioned replace=?

I don't think it would need versioning for that. libtorrent with
replaces=(libtorrent-rasterbar) in extra will take precedence over
libtorrent in community.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Jeff Mickey

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:47, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it would need versioning for that. libtorrent with
> replaces=(libtorrent-rasterbar) in extra will take precedence over
> libtorrent in community.

I also don't mind changing the name of libtorrent in community to
libtorrent-rakshasa, as I believe rtorrent is the only consumer of his
libtorrent.

The only weird thing I see is, then updating my package, I'd have to
put a "replaces=(libtorrent)".. and I think that might cause a weird
circular replacement thingie.

// jeff

Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:47, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think it would need versioning for that. libtorrent with
>> replaces=(libtorrent-rasterbar) in extra will take precedence over
>> libtorrent in community.
>
> I also don't mind changing the name of libtorrent in community to
> libtorrent-rakshasa, as I believe rtorrent is the only consumer of his
> libtorrent.

That's what I was getting at. "libtorrent" in community is not the
popular "libtorrent" and gets a tad confusing. Plus only rtorrent uses
it.

> The only weird thing I see is, then updating my package, I'd have to
> put a "replaces=(libtorrent)".. and I think that might cause a weird
> circular replacement thingie.

Hmm, wouldn't changing the rtorrent dep take care of this? The current
libtorrent would be replaced by the one in extra, and rtorrent would
pull in libtorrent-rakshasa... which would conflict.

I wonder if a conflicts=() line would solve everything.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Xavier

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:47, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't think it would need versioning for that. libtorrent with
>>> replaces=(libtorrent-rasterbar) in extra will take precedence over
>>> libtorrent in community.
>>
>> I also don't mind changing the name of libtorrent in community to
>> libtorrent-rakshasa, as I believe rtorrent is the only consumer of his
>> libtorrent.
>
> That's what I was getting at. "libtorrent" in community is not the
> popular "libtorrent" and gets a tad confusing. Plus only rtorrent uses
> it.
>
>> The only weird thing I see is, then updating my package, I'd have to
>> put a "replaces=(libtorrent)".. and I think that might cause a weird
>> circular replacement thingie.
>
> Hmm, wouldn't changing the rtorrent dep take care of this? The current
> libtorrent would be replaced by the one in extra, and rtorrent would
> pull in libtorrent-rakshasa... which would conflict.
>
> I wonder if a conflicts=() line would solve everything.

That is a weird and interesting dependency problem.

I would suggest doing two steps :
1) rename libtorrent in a new libtorrent-rakshasa package, which
conflicts with libtorrent<=0.12.2 (and no other dep statements) and in
the same time, a new rtorrent package which depends on
libtorrent-rakshasa
2) rename libtorrent-rasterbar in a new libtorrent package, which
provides/conflicts/replaces libtorrent-rasterbar

It should be possible to do both steps in the same time, but 2) should
not be done before 1).

However my personal feeling is that these two projects were stupid and
arrogant to use such a generic name as libtorrent, and they both
deserve to be renamed. Also it might be unfair to only rename one. And
renaming both would be the most clear/explicit and less confusing
solution.
So my favorite choice would be to have libtorrent-rakshasa and
libtorrent-rasterbar

But if one has to be called libtorrent, I agree it should be the most
widely used one.
And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libtorrent, the difference is quite clear.
* Libtorrent (Rakshasa) which powers rTorrent.
* Libtorrent (Rasterbar) which powers BTG, Deluge, Free Download
Manager, Halite, Linkage, Miro, qBittorrent, SharkTorrent, and many
more.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 18:44, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> So my favorite choice would be to have libtorrent-rakshasa and
> libtorrent-rasterbar
[snip]

+1

Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Xavier

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 18:44, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> So my favorite choice would be to have libtorrent-rakshasa and
>> libtorrent-rasterbar
> [snip]
>
> +1

Ah, and there is another argument to keep the libtorrent-rasterbar name :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12764#comment41019
(but maybe also to keep libtorrent rakshasa as libtorrent, not sure)

Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Hugo Doria

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, and there is another argument to keep the libtorrent-rasterbar name :
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12764#comment41019
> (but maybe also to keep libtorrent rakshasa as libtorrent, not sure)

+1.

-- Hugo

Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Hugo Doria

Can i move it with the "libtorrent-rasterbar" name?

-- Hugo

Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 09:24, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can i move it with the "libtorrent-rasterbar" name?
>
> -- Hugo

No objections here

Old 03-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can i move it with the "libtorrent-rasterbar" name?

Sounds good.