Old 03-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Tobias Powalowski

Default mdadm-2.6.8-2

Hi
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10651
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9122
both states raid is broken for more complex setups.

According to my earlier mail about assembling raid arrays i wrote a new hook
and install file.
It uses mdassemble.static from mdadm tarball which is smaller than
mdadm.static and does the assembling job and loading of the needed raid
module.

How does it work:
- If a an array is defined on users system /etc/mdadm.conf, the file will be
added to initramfs and used for the assembling things.
- If no array was defined it falls back to commandline assembling and a
madm.conf file will be created on the fly during bootup.
Old command line syntax wasn't changed, uuid support is added
(eg. md=0,0900878d:f95f6057:c39a36e9:55efa61b)

Attention:
Tested normal raid 1 setup with and without mdadm.conf modified.
Not tested yet uuid assembling from commandline and partitionable raid!
Will test this soon, if an other dev wants to test, please do so

please signoff,
greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Dan McGee

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10651
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9122
> both states raid is broken for more complex setups.
>
> According to my earlier mail about assembling raid arrays i wrote a new hook
> and install file.
> It uses mdassemble.static from mdadm tarball which is smaller than
> mdadm.static and does the assembling job and loading of the needed raid
> module.
>
> How does it work:
> - If a an array is defined on users system /etc/mdadm.conf, the file will be
> *added to initramfs and used for the assembling things.
> - If no array was defined it falls back to commandline assembling and a
> *madm.conf file will be created on the fly during bootup.
> *Old command line syntax wasn't changed, uuid support is added
> *(eg. md=0,0900878d:f95f6057:c39a36e9:55efa61b)
>
> Attention:
> Tested normal raid 1 setup with and without mdadm.conf modified.
> Not tested yet uuid assembling from commandline and partitionable raid!
> Will test this soon, if an other dev wants to test, please do so

How do I test this, and or use this rather than the [raid] hook? Can
you show an example mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS line?

-Dan

Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi
>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10651
>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9122
>> both states raid is broken for more complex setups.
>>
>> According to my earlier mail about assembling raid arrays i wrote a new hook
>> and install file.
>> It uses mdassemble.static from mdadm tarball which is smaller than
>> mdadm.static and does the assembling job and loading of the needed raid
>> module.
>>
>> How does it work:
>> - If a an array is defined on users system /etc/mdadm.conf, the file will be
>> *added to initramfs and used for the assembling things.
>> - If no array was defined it falls back to commandline assembling and a
>> *madm.conf file will be created on the fly during bootup.
>> *Old command line syntax wasn't changed, uuid support is added
>> *(eg. md=0,0900878d:f95f6057:c39a36e9:55efa61b)
>>
>> Attention:
>> Tested normal raid 1 setup with and without mdadm.conf modified.
>> Not tested yet uuid assembling from commandline and partitionable raid!
>> Will test this soon, if an other dev wants to test, please do so
>
> How do I test this, and or use this rather than the [raid] hook? Can
> you show an example mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS line?
>
> -Dan

My x86_64 raid system booted fine. It has a modified /etc/mdadm.conf
and use RAID5.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Tobias Powalowski

Am Montag 09 März 2009 schrieb Eric Bélanger:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10651
> >> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9122
> >> both states raid is broken for more complex setups.
> >>
> >> According to my earlier mail about assembling raid arrays i wrote a new
> >> hook and install file.
> >> It uses mdassemble.static from mdadm tarball which is smaller than
> >> mdadm.static and does the assembling job and loading of the needed raid
> >> module.
> >>
> >> How does it work:
> >> - If a an array is defined on users system /etc/mdadm.conf, the file
> >> will be added to initramfs and used for the assembling things.
> >> - If no array was defined it falls back to commandline assembling and a
> >> madm.conf file will be created on the fly during bootup.
> >> Old command line syntax wasn't changed, uuid support is added
> >> (eg. md=0,0900878d:f95f6057:c39a36e9:55efa61b)
> >>
> >> Attention:
> >> Tested normal raid 1 setup with and without mdadm.conf modified.
> >> Not tested yet uuid assembling from commandline and partitionable raid!
> >> Will test this soon, if an other dev wants to test, please do so
> >
> > How do I test this, and or use this rather than the [raid] hook? Can
> > you show an example mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS line?
> >
> > -Dan
>
> My x86_64 raid system booted fine. It has a modified /etc/mdadm.conf
> and use RAID5.
Dan if you use simple raid hook just replace it with mdadm.

If you want to change to a mdadm.conf assembling run as root:
# to get just running md devices
mdadm -Ds >>mdadm.conf
# detecting by superblock
mdadm -Es >> mdadm.conf

If you use normal command line assembling you don't need to change anything
and just replace raid with mdadm in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to test this.
mkinitcpio -p kernel26
and it should work.

I replaced my command line assembling with mdadm.conf one, it's much cleaner
now

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Montag 09 März 2009 schrieb Eric Bélanger:

>> > How do I test this, and or use this rather than the [raid] hook? Can
>> > you show an example mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS line?
>> >
>> > -Dan
>>
>> My x86_64 raid system booted fine. It has a modified /etc/mdadm.conf
>> and use RAID5.
> Dan if you use simple raid hook just replace it with mdadm.
>
> If you want to change to a mdadm.conf assembling run as root:
> # to get just running md devices
> mdadm -Ds >>mdadm.conf
> # detecting by superblock
> mdadm -Es >> mdadm.conf
>
> If you use normal command line assembling you don't need to change anything
> and just replace raid with mdadm in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to test this.
> mkinitcpio -p kernel26
> and it should work.
>
> I replaced my command line assembling with mdadm.conf one, it's much cleaner
> now

I just realized that I was using the raid hook. I'll test the mdadm one later.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> My x86_64 raid system booted fine. It has a modified /etc/mdadm.conf
>>> and use RAID5.
>> Dan if you use simple raid hook just replace it with mdadm.
>>
>> If you want to change to a mdadm.conf assembling run as root:
>> # to get just running md devices
>> mdadm -Ds >>mdadm.conf
>> # detecting by superblock
>> mdadm -Es >> mdadm.conf
>>
>> If you use normal command line assembling you don't need to change anything
>> and just replace raid with mdadm in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to test this.
>> mkinitcpio -p kernel26
>> and it should work.
>>
>> I replaced my command line assembling with mdadm.conf one, it's much cleaner
>> now
>>

> I just realized that I was using the raid hook. I'll test the mdadm one later.

I tested the mdadm hook with modified mdadm.conf. System booted fine.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Montag 09 März 2009 schrieb Eric Bélanger:

>> > How do I test this, and or use this rather than the [raid] hook? Can
>> > you show an example mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS line?
>> >
>> > -Dan
>>
>> My x86_64 raid system booted fine. It has a modified /etc/mdadm.conf
>> and use RAID5.
> Dan if you use simple raid hook just replace it with mdadm.
>
> If you want to change to a mdadm.conf assembling run as root:
> # to get just running md devices
> mdadm -Ds >>mdadm.conf
> # detecting by superblock
> mdadm -Es >> mdadm.conf
>
> If you use normal command line assembling you don't need to change anything
> and just replace raid with mdadm in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to test this.
> mkinitcpio -p kernel26
> and it should work.
>
> I replaced my command line assembling with mdadm.conf one, it's much cleaner
> now

Worked good for me after a reboot, and I like not having to hardcode
anything on the GRUB line anymore.

Is this going to be documented somewhere, such as in the default
mkinitcpio.conf?

-Dan