FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Andreas Radke
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

I've added xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-drm to testing. Together with
Xorg 7.5 this is a nice replacement for the binary crap when you don't
need 3D stuff. 2D works well accelerated. 3D will follow later with
gallium 3d. For more read:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/


I run a DualHead setup on my desktop. This is my full xorg.conf for
example:

# the right one
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "NEC"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
EndSection
# the left one
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "FUS"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
Option "LeftOf" "NEC"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia card"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)]
rev 161" Driver "nouveau"
Option "Monitor-DVI-I-0" "NEC"
Option "Monitor-DVI-I-1" "FUS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 2560 1024
EndSubSection
Device "nvidia card"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
Screen "screen1"
# will be replaced by gallium 3D
Option "AIGLX" "false"
EndSection



Have fun getting rid off nvidia binary blobs.

-Andy
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Andreas Radke
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

I've added xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-drm to testing. Together with
Xorg 7.5 this is a nice replacement for the binary crap when you don't
need 3D stuff. 2D works well accelerated. 3D will follow later with
gallium 3d. For more read:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/


I run a DualHead setup on my desktop. This is my full xorg.conf for
example:

# the right one
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "NEC"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
EndSection
# the left one
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "FUS"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
Option "LeftOf" "NEC"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia card"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)]
rev 161" Driver "nouveau"
Option "Monitor-DVI-I-0" "NEC"
Option "Monitor-DVI-I-1" "FUS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 2560 1024
EndSubSection
Device "nvidia card"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
Screen "screen1"
# will be replaced by gallium 3D
Option "AIGLX" "false"
EndSection



Have fun getting rid off nvidia binary blobs.

-Andy
 
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Eduardo Romero
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 04:55:31 pm Andreas Radke wrote:
> Have fun getting rid off nvidia binary blobs.
>
> -Andy
I will take care of that, I that way I can get to the news sites again.
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Aaron Griffin
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Eduardo Romero <k3nsai@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009 04:55:31 pm Andreas Radke wrote:
>> Have fun getting rid off nvidia binary blobs.
>>
>> -Andy
> I will take care of that, I that way I can get to the news sites again.

"Arch Linux revolts against EVERYTHING"
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Daniel Isenmann
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:55:31 +0100
Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:

> I've added xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-drm to testing. Together with
> Xorg 7.5 this is a nice replacement for the binary crap when you don't
> need 3D stuff. 2D works well accelerated. 3D will follow later with
> gallium 3d. For more read:
>
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
>
> I run a DualHead setup on my desktop. This is my full xorg.conf for
> example:
>
> # the right one
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "NEC"
> Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
> EndSection
> # the left one
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "FUS"
> Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
> Option "LeftOf" "NEC"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "nvidia card"
> BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)]
> rev 161" Driver "nouveau"
> Option "Monitor-DVI-I-0" "NEC"
> Option "Monitor-DVI-I-1" "FUS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "screen1"
> DefaultDepth 24
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Virtual 2560 1024
> EndSubSection
> Device "nvidia card"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "layout1"
> Screen "screen1"
> # will be replaced by gallium 3D
> Option "AIGLX" "false"
> EndSection
>
>
>
> Have fun getting rid off nvidia binary blobs.
>
> -Andy

I have installed nouveau and everything runs fine here on my computer.
The normal work like surfing, building packages, mails, etc. works as
always. There are no problems so far. Ok, there is no 3D at the moment
but who needs 3D. (I don't need 3D)

The installation process was a little bit stony. This way worked:

- uninstalling nvidia and nvidia-utils
- installing xf86-video-nouveau and nouveau-drm
- reboot (removing the drm module doesn't work here)
- reinstalling libgl and xorg-server

That's it. After the steps everything worked as expected. Maybe there
is an easier way for installing it (normally removing the module
should work), but it works this way.

I will test it (and the future versions) further and I'm looking forward
for the 3D support.

Cheers,
Daniel
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Daniel Isenmann
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:10:23 +0100
Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:55:31 +0100
> Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>
> > I've added xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-drm to testing. Together
> > with Xorg 7.5 this is a nice replacement for the binary crap when
> > you don't need 3D stuff. 2D works well accelerated. 3D will follow
> > later with gallium 3d. For more read:
> >
> > http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
> >
> >
> > I run a DualHead setup on my desktop. This is my full xorg.conf for
> > example:
> >
> > # the right one
> > Section "Monitor"
> > Identifier "NEC"
> > Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
> > EndSection
> > # the left one
> > Section "Monitor"
> > Identifier "FUS"
> > Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
> > Option "LeftOf" "NEC"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier "nvidia card"
> > BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)]
> > rev 161" Driver "nouveau"
> > Option "Monitor-DVI-I-0" "NEC"
> > Option "Monitor-DVI-I-1" "FUS"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Screen"
> > Identifier "screen1"
> > DefaultDepth 24
> > SubSection "Display"
> > Depth 24
> > Virtual 2560 1024
> > EndSubSection
> > Device "nvidia card"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> > Identifier "layout1"
> > Screen "screen1"
> > # will be replaced by gallium 3D
> > Option "AIGLX" "false"
> > EndSection
> >
> >
> >
> > Have fun getting rid off nvidia binary blobs.
> >
> > -Andy
>
> I have installed nouveau and everything runs fine here on my computer.
> The normal work like surfing, building packages, mails, etc. works as
> always. There are no problems so far. Ok, there is no 3D at the moment
> but who needs 3D. (I don't need 3D)
>
> The installation process was a little bit stony. This way worked:
>
> - uninstalling nvidia and nvidia-utils
> - installing xf86-video-nouveau and nouveau-drm
> - reboot (removing the drm module doesn't work here)
> - reinstalling libgl and xorg-server
>
> That's it. After the steps everything worked as expected. Maybe there
> is an easier way for installing it (normally removing the module
> should work), but it works this way.
>
> I will test it (and the future versions) further and I'm looking
> forward for the 3D support.
>

One additional point:
I'm using an dualhead setup on my desktop, too.
 
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Xavier
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:55:31 +0100
> Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> I've added xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-drm to testing. Together with
>> Xorg 7.5 this is a nice replacement for the binary crap when you don't
>> need 3D stuff. 2D works well accelerated. 3D will follow later with
>> gallium 3d. For more read:
>>
>> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>>
>>
>
> I have installed nouveau and everything runs fine here on my computer.
> The normal work like surfing, building packages, mails, etc. works as
> always. There are no problems so far. Ok, there is no 3D at the moment
> but who needs 3D. (I don't need 3D)
>
> The installation process was a little bit stony. This way worked:
>
> - uninstalling nvidia and nvidia-utils
> - installing xf86-video-nouveau and nouveau-drm
> - reboot (removing the drm module doesn't work here)
> - reinstalling libgl and xorg-server
>
> That's it. After the steps everything worked as expected. Maybe there
> is an easier way for installing it (normally removing the module
> should work), but it works this way.
>
> I will test it (and the future versions) further and I'm looking forward
> for the 3D support.
>

An easier way for installing it is to not have nvidia drivers in the
first place
It went smoother for me because it was a fresh install.

If I usually don't need 3D support, I do need xv for video playback.
This didn't work by default.
I was told to run a composite manager (xcompmgr is enough) to make it
work, so I enabled composite extension in xorg, ran xcompmgr, and
everything worked fine.

http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20612
 
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Xavier
 
Default xf86-video-nouveau/nouveau-drm in testing

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If I usually don't need 3D support, I do need xv for video playback.
> This didn't work by default.
> I was told to run a composite manager (xcompmgr is enough) to make it
> work, so I enabled composite extension in xorg, ran xcompmgr, and
> everything worked fine.
>
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20612
>

Ah something I didn't understand before : this only concerns NV50
chipset ( GeForce 8, GeForce 9, GeForce GTX2x0 )
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org