Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default Move the catalyst drivers from extra to AUR/Community

Eduardo Romero schrieb:

This discussion have got some press coverage by phoronix:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzEwMg
And by distrowatch:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090302#news

Well, some developers did not liked the press coverage we got from
phoronix, I have to say, I did liked it, they made it look more dramatic than
it was but we got outstanding support from the community. There were close
to no one against our decision. And yes the problem in part was the poor
quality of this drivers, so why try to deviate the attention from it?

I think they missed the point of what we consider "bad quality". The
article on phoronix talks about driver quality in terms of features
(like OpenGL extensions and such), while we talk about quality in terms
of compatibility and packagibility (I want the trademark on that word!).

ATI hardcodes paths that should be configurable (and actually are
configurable in Xorg - and other drivers respect those paths) and does
not ensure compatibility to current Xorg and Linux developments
(apparently, only to current Ubuntu developments). That is what we
dislike about it, not some nice features it has that you COULD use if
the driver WOULD work. The amount of time and uglification we need to
make it work in our distribution is just too much and keeps holding us back.