Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Andreas Radke

Default coreutils 7.1-1

This is the new release declared "stable" by upstream devs after "beta"
7.0 release we left out.

I've added info file handling taking care of a possible missing
texinfo not sure if it is needed.

All patches have been updated to the latest Fedora/Gentoo versions. The
formerly preset POSIX behavior should be obsolete now. "tail -x" works
well here. Maybe you know for what case it was added in the past.

Please do some tests and give me signoffs.

-Andy

* Noteworthy changes in release 7.1 (2009-02-21) [stable]

** New features

Add extended attribute support available on certain filesystems like
ext2 and XFS.
cp: Tries to copy xattrs when --preserve=xattr or --preserve=all
specified mv: Always tries to copy xattrs
install: Never copies xattrs

cp and mv accept a new option, --no-clobber (-n): silently refrain
from overwriting any existing destination file

dd accepts iflag=cio and oflag=cio to open the file in CIO
(concurrent I/O) mode where this feature is available.

install accepts a new option, --compare (-C): compare each pair of
source and destination files, and if the destination has identical
content and any specified owner, group, permissions, and possibly
SELinux context, then do not modify the destination at all.

ls --color now highlights hard linked files, too

stat -f recognizes the Lustre file system type

** Bug fixes

chgrp, chmod, chown --silent (--quiet, -f) no longer print some
diagnostics [bug introduced in coreutils-5.1]

cp uses much less memory in some situations

cp -a now correctly tries to preserve SELinux context (announced in
6.9.90), doesn't inform about failure, unlike with --preserve=all

du --files0-from=FILE no longer reads all of FILE into RAM before
processing the first file name

seq 9223372036854775807 9223372036854775808 now prints only two
numbers on systems with extended long double support and good library
support. Even with this patch, on some systems, it still produces
invalid output, from 3 to at least 1026 lines long. [bug introduced
in coreutils-6.11]

seq -w now accounts for a decimal point added to the last number
to correctly print all numbers to the same width.

wc --files0-from=FILE no longer reads all of FILE into RAM, before
processing the first file name, unless the list of names is known
to be small enough.

** Changes in behavior

cp and mv: the --reply={yes,no,query} option has been removed.
Using it has elicited a warning for the last three years.

dd: user specified offsets that are too big are handled better.
Previously, erroneous parameters to skip and seek could result
in redundant reading of the file with no warnings or errors.

du: -H (initially equivalent to --si) is now equivalent to
--dereference-args, and thus works as POSIX requires

shred: now does 3 overwrite passes by default rather than 25.

ls -l now marks SELinux-only files with the less obtrusive '.',
rather than '+'. A file with any other combination of MAC and ACL
is still marked with a '+'.

* Noteworthy changes in release 7.0 (2008-10-05) [beta]

** New programs

timeout: Run a command with bounded time.
truncate: Set the size of a file to a specified size.

** New features

chgrp, chmod, chown, chcon, du, rm: now all display linear
performance, even when operating on million-entry directories on ext3
and ext4 file systems. Before, they would exhibit O(N^2)
performance, due to linear per-entry seek time cost when operating on
entries in readdir order. Rm was improved directly, while the others
inherit the improvement from the newer version of fts in gnulib.

comm now verifies that the inputs are in sorted order. This check can
be turned off with the --nocheck-order option.

comm accepts new option, --output-delimiter=STR, that allows
specification of an output delimiter other than the default single
TAB.

cp and mv: the deprecated --reply=X option is now also undocumented.

dd accepts iflag=fullblock to make it accumulate full input blocks.
With this new option, after a short read, dd repeatedly calls read,
until it fills the incomplete block, reaches EOF, or encounters an
error.

df accepts a new option --total, which produces a grand total of all
arguments after all arguments have been processed.

If the GNU MP library is available at configure time, factor and
expr support arbitrarily large numbers. Pollard's rho algorithm is
used to factor large numbers.

install accepts a new option --strip-program to specify the program
used to strip binaries.

ls now colorizes files with capabilities if libcap is available

ls -v now uses filevercmp function as sort predicate (instead of
strverscmp)

md5sum now accepts the new option, --quiet, to suppress the printing
of 'OK' messages. sha1sum, sha224sum, sha384sum, and sha512sum
accept it, too.

sort accepts a new option, --files0-from=F, that specifies a file
containing a null-separated list of files to sort. This list is used
instead of filenames passed on the command-line to avoid problems with
maximum command-line (argv) length.

sort accepts a new option --batch-size=NMERGE, where NMERGE
represents the maximum number of inputs that will be merged at once.
When processing more than NMERGE inputs, sort uses temporary files.

sort accepts a new option --version-sort (-V, --sort=version),
specifying that ordering is to be based on filevercmp.

** Bug fixes

chcon --verbose now prints a newline after each message

od no longer suffers from platform bugs in printf(3). This is
probably most noticeable when using 'od -tfL' to print long doubles.

seq -0.1 0.1 2 now prints 2,0 when locale's decimal point is ",".
Before, it would mistakenly omit the final number in that example.

shuf honors the --zero-terminated (-z) option, even with
--input-range=LO-HI

shuf --head-count is now correctly documented. The documentation
previously claimed it was called --head-lines.

** Improvements

Improved support for access control lists (ACLs): On MacOS X, Solaris
7..10, HP-UX 11, Tru64, AIX, IRIX 6.5, and Cygwin, "ls -l" now
displays the presence of an ACL on a file via a '+' sign after the
mode, and "cp -p" copies ACLs.

join has significantly better performance due to better memory
management

ls now uses constant memory when not sorting and using one_per_line
format, no matter how many files are in a given directory

od now aligns fields across lines when printing multiple -t
specifiers, and no longer prints fields that resulted entirely from
padding the input out to the least common multiple width.

** Changes in behavior

stat's --context (-Z) option has always been a no-op.
Now it evokes a warning that it is obsolete and will be removed.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Andreas Radke

There's a serious permission issue when leaving the fakechroot in
x86_64 causing http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13444 .

Any idea?

Wed Feb 25 19:30:01 2009