Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Aaron Griffin

Default Scripting large rebuilds

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 23. Februar 2009 22:26:36 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> Or something to that effect, that would not only build all packages in
>> a chroot, but auto-bump the pkgrels and dump the correct results to
>> your svn dir, for a later run of testingpkg...
>
> Would be ncie to have some helper scripts. I use some dumb scripts to manage
> the kde rebuilds: http://git.archlinux.de/build-scripts/tree/kde
>
> Maybe some of those can be extended to be more genereal. Espeically this which
> sets pkgver, pkgrel and updates the md5sums: http://git.archlinux.de/build-
> scripts/tree/kde/update-pkgbuilds (the awk scripts is stolen from some post of
> the forums ;-))

And I just noticed the undocumented -i flag to makechrootpkg, which
installs a package without dirtying the chroot - this just became way
easier

Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

Well.... it doesn't dirty the chroot exactly, but you do end up with
everything you built being installed so could get unwanted deps further
down the rebuild list unless you are careful. I have been meaning to
adjust that to put the package in a local repo in the chroot so rebuilt
packages could be installed as necessary (much like in the chroot
building wiki page) but have not had time.

Allan

Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Would be ncie to have some helper scripts. I use some dumb scripts to
>>> manage
>>> the kde rebuilds: http://git.archlinux.de/build-scripts/tree/kde
>>>
>>> Maybe some of those can be extended to be more genereal. Espeically this
>>> which
>>> sets pkgver, pkgrel and updates the md5sums:
>>> http://git.archlinux.de/build-
>>> scripts/tree/kde/update-pkgbuilds (the awk scripts is stolen from some
>>> post of
>>> the forums ;-))
>>>

>> And I just noticed the undocumented -i flag to makechrootpkg, which
>> installs a package without dirtying the chroot - this just became way
>> easier
>>

> Well.... it doesn't dirty the chroot exactly, but you do end up with
> everything you built being installed so could get unwanted deps further down
> the rebuild list unless you are careful. I have been meaning to adjust that
> to put the package in a local repo in the chroot so rebuilt packages could
> be installed as necessary (much like in the chroot building wiki page) but
> have not had time.

Added a new section to the wiki - these changes are in git right now,
not in the current devtools release:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot#Alternate _Rebuild_Handling

Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:

>>> And I just noticed the undocumented -i flag to makechrootpkg, which
>>> installs a package without dirtying the chroot - this just became way
>>> easier
>>>

>> Well.... it doesn't dirty the chroot exactly, but you do end up with
>> everything you built being installed so could get unwanted deps further down
>> the rebuild list unless you are careful. I have been meaning to adjust that
>> to put the package in a local repo in the chroot so rebuilt packages could
>> be installed as necessary (much like in the chroot building wiki page) but
>> have not had time.
>
> Added a new section to the wiki - these changes are in git right now,
> not in the current devtools release:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot#Alternate _Rebuild_Handling

The -u and -I flag are in git. -i exists now, but I wanted makepkg -i
to be usable, so I renamed that one

Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

It took me a while to figure out why you said the old method dirtied the
chroot. IThe way I thought about this is that the packages I rebuilt
and updated in the chroot are soon going to be the official Arch ones so
it will self clean eventually. Anyway, making the chroot is so easy
that I just make a new one to deal with major rebuilds.

Allan

Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Added a new section to the wiki - these changes are in git right now,
>>> not in the current devtools release:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot#Alternate _Rebuild_Handling
>>>

>> The -u and -I flag are in git. -i exists now, but I wanted makepkg -i
>> to be usable, so I renamed that one
>>

> It took me a while to figure out why you said the old method dirtied the
> chroot. IThe way I thought about this is that the packages I rebuilt and
> updated in the chroot are soon going to be the official Arch ones so it will
> self clean eventually. Anyway, making the chroot is so easy that I just
> make a new one to deal with major rebuilds.

Yeah, I was just thinking that too, but there's always the case where
things might not work and you may need to patch or roll things back or
something. To me it's easier to just "rm -rf <chrootdir>/rw" to clean
it up than to rebuild it 8)

Additionally, even if they do become the official packages, they'll be
in testing for a while and your chroot will be in a weird limbo state
where some of the packages are from testing and some are not.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

OK, I see your point. Of course it only applies for packages in
base/base-devel. I guess I didn't see ths because I have never need to
rollback because my packaging skills are awesome and I never break
anything....