Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Allan McRae

Default bash 4.0 / readline 6.0 rebuilds

Aaron Griffin wrote:

So bash 4.0 is out, and there's lots of neat little changes, but this
also requires readline 6.0, which is a big old nasty soname change.

Unless anyone has any objections, I'd like to do these upgrades
tonight and put everything in testing if it all goes as plans.

Any problems with that?

Packages affected, according to the web interface:
* abook
* afterstep
* archboot
* bash
* bc
* cdcd
* clisp
* device-mapper
* freeciv
* fvwm
* fvwm-devel
* gftp
* gnuchess
* gnutls
* gphoto2
* gutenprint
* hugs98
* inetutils
* jack-audio-connection-kit
* lftp
* libxml2
* lua
* maxima
* mysql-clients
* ntp
* pal
* php
* pilot-link
* postgresql-libs
* python24
* r
* ratpoison
* rosegarden
* ruby
* socat
* sqlite3
* sqlite3 (testing)
* swi-prolog
* tunepimp
* uml_utilities
* unixodbc
* wvstreams

I thought there will be more than that, maybe covered by dependency
chains. I have been using the attached script to find needed rebuilds
and it works but is slow (takes under two hours to scan my entire cache
being all [core] and [extra] plus part of [community]).

Allan

#! /bin/bash

# Run in minimal chroot to avoid false positives due to dependancies.
# Chroot can be built with:
# sudo mkarchroot <chrootdir>/root glibc coreutils findutils grep tar gzip

# Copy script to <chrootdir>/root/tmp and packages to <chrootdir>/root/tmp/pkg

# Usage:
# ./rebuildlist <library>
# <library> does not contain ".so"

library=$1
if [ "x$library" == "x" ]; then
echo "Usage $0 <library>"
exit
fi

for pkg in $(ls pkg); do
echo $pkg
mkdir tmp
cp pkg/$pkg tmp
cd tmp
tar -xf $pkg
rm $pkg
found=$(ldd $(find .) 2>/dev/null | grep "${library}.so" | wc -l)
if [ $found -ne 0 ]; then
echo $pkg >> ../rebuildlist.txt
fi
cd ..
rm -rf tmp
done

Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> So bash 4.0 is out, and there's lots of neat little changes, but this
> also requires readline 6.0, which is a big old nasty soname change.
>
> Unless anyone has any objections, I'd like to do these upgrades
> tonight and put everything in testing if it all goes as plans.
>
> Any problems with that?
>
> Packages affected, according to the web interface:
> * abook
> * afterstep
> * archboot
> * bash
> * bc
> * cdcd
> * clisp
> * device-mapper
> * freeciv
> * fvwm
> * fvwm-devel
> * gftp
> * gnuchess
> * gnutls
> * gphoto2
> * gutenprint
> * hugs98
> * inetutils
> * jack-audio-connection-kit
> * lftp
> * libxml2
> * lua
> * maxima
> * mysql-clients
> * ntp
> * pal
> * php
> * pilot-link
> * postgresql-libs
> * python24
> * r
> * ratpoison
> * rosegarden
> * ruby
> * socat
> * sqlite3
> * sqlite3 (testing)
> * swi-prolog
> * tunepimp
> * uml_utilities
> * unixodbc
> * wvstreams

I was working on a rosegarden (and depends) update. It's ready. I'll
just do the changes in trunk. It has to go in testing first,
regardless of the rebuild, have I can't really test these things.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [...]
> # Chroot can be built with:
> # sudo mkarchroot <chrootdir>/root glibc coreutils findutils grep tar gzip
>
> # Copy script to <chrootdir>/root/tmp and packages to
> <chrootdir>/root/tmp/pkg
>
> # Usage:
> # ./rebuildlist <library>
> # <library> does not contain ".so"
>

> library=$1
> if [ "x$library" == "x" ]; then
> echo "Usage $0 <library>"
> exit
> fi
>
> for pkg in $(ls pkg); do
> echo $pkg
> mkdir tmp
> cp pkg/$pkg tmp
> cd tmp
> tar -xf $pkg
> rm $pkg
> found=$(ldd $(find .) 2>/dev/null | grep "${library}.so" | wc -l)

Hmm, is this intensive? Would it be bad to run it on gerolde? I don't
have all of the packages cached, and don't have enough space on my
x86_64 machine (slicehost slice) to run it from that side

Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So bash 4.0 is out, and there's lots of neat little changes, but this
>> also requires readline 6.0, which is a big old nasty soname change.
>>
>> Unless anyone has any objections, I'd like to do these upgrades
>> tonight and put everything in testing if it all goes as plans.
>>
>> Any problems with that?
>>
>> Packages affected, according to the web interface:
>> * abook
>> * afterstep
>> * archboot
>> * bash
>> * bc
>> * cdcd
>> * clisp
>> * device-mapper
>> * freeciv
>> * fvwm
>> * fvwm-devel
>> * gftp
>> * gnuchess
>> * gnutls
>> * gphoto2
>> * gutenprint
>> * hugs98
>> * inetutils
>> * jack-audio-connection-kit
>> * lftp
>> * libxml2
>> * lua
>> * maxima
>> * mysql-clients
>> * ntp
>> * pal
>> * php
>> * pilot-link
>> * postgresql-libs
>> * python24
>> * r
>> * ratpoison
>> * rosegarden
>> * ruby
>> * socat
>> * sqlite3
>> * sqlite3 (testing)
>> * swi-prolog
>> * tunepimp
>> * uml_utilities
>> * unixodbc
>> * wvstreams
>>

> I was working on a rosegarden (and depends) update. It's ready. I'll
> just do the changes in trunk. It has to go in testing first,
> regardless of the rebuild, have I can't really test these things.

If you want, I have readline and bash rebuilt (as that part's a big
pain - makepkg needs bash) - I could stick those in a temporary repo
if anyone wants to split up these builds. I'm at work now, so can only
do a few in the background when I get a chance

Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

Moderately intensive... probably best to not run on gerolde. I can run
it once I get into work today (so results in ~4 hours).

Allan

Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:37:31 -0600
schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:

> So bash 4.0 is out, and there's lots of neat little changes, but this
> also requires readline 6.0, which is a big old nasty soname change.

So far I'm the maintainer. I guess more likely unwanted because it was
a long time orphan? If you think it should be in one hand along bash
feel free to take it from me. I'm busy with other stuff.

> Unless anyone has any objections, I'd like to do these upgrades
> tonight and put everything in testing if it all goes as plans.
>
> Any problems with that?
>
> Packages affected, according to the web interface:
> * abook
> * afterstep
> * archboot
> * bash
> * bc
> * cdcd
> * clisp
> * device-mapper
> * freeciv
> * fvwm
> * fvwm-devel
> * gftp
> * gnuchess
> * gnutls
> * gphoto2
> * gutenprint
> * hugs98
> * inetutils
> * jack-audio-connection-kit
> * lftp
> * libxml2
> * lua
> * maxima
> * mysql-clients
> * ntp
> * pal
> * php
> * pilot-link
> * postgresql-libs
> * python24
> * r
> * ratpoison
> * rosegarden
> * ruby
> * socat
> * sqlite3
> * sqlite3 (testing)
> * swi-prolog
> * tunepimp
> * uml_utilities
> * unixodbc
> * wvstreams

sqlite3 should get some signoffs and could be moved to core first.

-Andy

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:37:31 -0600
> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
>
>> So bash 4.0 is out, and there's lots of neat little changes, but this
>> also requires readline 6.0, which is a big old nasty soname change.
>
> So far I'm the maintainer. I guess more likely unwanted because it was
> a long time orphan? If you think it should be in one hand along bash
> feel free to take it from me. I'm busy with other stuff.

If you want to do this, you're more then welcome to - I just say bash
4.0 was out, got excited, and noticed they also released a new
readline at the same time... and I started doing that and just figured
I might as well do the rebuilds too.

If you want me to maintain readline, I can, as it's very closely tied
to bash. I'll leave it up to you

Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:43:20 -0600
schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:

> If you want me to maintain readline, I can, as it's very closely tied
> to bash. I'll leave it up to you

Just orphaned readline. Go and adopt it for both arches.

-Andy

Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:43:20 -0600
> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
>

>> If you want me to maintain readline, I can, as it's very closely tied
>> to bash. I'll leave it up to you
>>

> Just orphaned readline. Go and adopt it for both arches.

Done.

Thanks to Gerardo for running Allan's script with a minor speed
update, I now have the following list:
http://phraktured.net/readline-rebuilds

Woohoo.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Thomas Bächler

Aaron Griffin schrieb:

[...]

Add the new wpa_supplicant to that list (wpa_cli now uses readline).

[...]

Don't use ldd here, as it also covers indirect dependencies. If libA
depends on libB and libB depends on libC, then only libB needs updating
when libC changes the SOname, as long as libA never calls libC directly.

You should parse the output of readelf -d, which only shows direct
dependencies and thus allows you to distinguish between direct and
indirect dependencies ... at least as far as I understand it.