Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Jan de Groot

Default xorg status (upcoming in testing)

I would like to inform people about the current status of X.Org on
archlinux. At this moment, we have some client libraries and protocol
definitions in extra targeted at xorg-server 1.6 already.
I've been busy with xorg-server 1.5.99.903 today, which is supposed to
be the last release candidate before 1.6 comes out. So far, the
packaging looks good, but there's some nasty side-effects on this
upgrade:

- all input drivers need a rebuild
- all video drivers need a rebuild

Besides these rebuilds, I think we're going to have problems with binary
drivers again. X will refuse to load them, unless you tell it to ignore
ABI mismatches.

I will be pushing xorg-server 1.5.99.903 or 1.6 to testing this week
together with libdrm 2.4.4, mesa 7.3 and a rebuild+update of all free
drivers in our repositories.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Geoffroy Carrier

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 22:43, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> Besides these rebuilds, I think we're going to have problems with binary
> drivers again. X will refuse to load them, unless you tell it to ignore
> ABI mismatches.

I can try nvidia (on a 32 bits laptop) and catalyst (on a 64 bits
desktop, with both x86_64 and i686 installs) drivers with gnome + a
few games (<ad>like the awesome world of goo and multiwinia</ad>) if
this can be of any help!

--
Geoffroy Carrier

Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Jan de Groot

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 00:41 +0100, Geoffroy Carrier wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 22:43, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> > Besides these rebuilds, I think we're going to have problems with binary
> > drivers again. X will refuse to load them, unless you tell it to ignore
> > ABI mismatches.
>
> I can try nvidia (on a 32 bits laptop) and catalyst (on a 64 bits
> desktop, with both x86_64 and i686 installs) drivers with gnome + a
> few games (<ad>like the awesome world of goo and multiwinia</ad>) if
> this can be of any help!

I read on phoronix about new nvidia drivers that have server-1.6
support. It seems AMD still doesn't support server-1.6 with their 9.2
catalyst release, so that one is likely to break (again).

Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 00:41 +0100, Geoffroy Carrier wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 22:43, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
>> > Besides these rebuilds, I think we're going to have problems with binary
>> > drivers again. X will refuse to load them, unless you tell it to ignore
>> > ABI mismatches.
>>
>> I can try nvidia (on a 32 bits laptop) and catalyst (on a 64 bits
>> desktop, with both x86_64 and i686 installs) drivers with gnome + a
>> few games (<ad>like the awesome world of goo and multiwinia</ad>) if
>> this can be of any help!
>
> I read on phoronix about new nvidia drivers that have server-1.6
> support. It seems AMD still doesn't support server-1.6 with their 9.2
> catalyst release, so that one is likely to break (again).

What was the "ignore abi" flag again? Might be worth mentioning in an
upgrade notice or news item, if this is going to be a problem