Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Andreas Radke

Default man-db 2.5.3-2 replacing man

Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:27:01 -0600
schrieb Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:

> Don't Andy's and Jan's words here contradict with regard to creating
> a man user?
>
> -Dan

This was my mistake. I had cp'ed the install file from the community
pkg and missed make my changes before the commit.

So a -2 pkg is now up for signoff. I removed the unwanted man user
creation. Added a msg for anybody upgrading from 2.5.3-1 and earlier to
remove the user and change permission on the db dir. The cronjob runs in
quiet mode now. Added a backup array for its config file. Now it should
be ready to move.

Anything else to improve?

-Andy

Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:27:01 -0600
> schrieb Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:
>
>> Don't Andy's and Jan's words here contradict with regard to creating
>> a man user?
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> This was my mistake. I had cp'ed the install file from the community
> pkg and missed make my changes before the commit.
>
> So a -2 pkg is now up for signoff. I removed the unwanted man user
> creation. Added a msg for anybody upgrading from 2.5.3-1 and earlier to
> remove the user and change permission on the db dir. The cronjob runs in
> quiet mode now. Added a backup array for its config file. Now it should
> be ready to move.
>
> Anything else to improve?
>
> -Andy

I haven't tried the -2 pkg yet , but I noticed that with man-db I
don't have coloured man pages anymore when using 'less' as the pager.
To get coloured man pages, I need to use 'most' as pager.
Is there anyone else who has this problem? It might be caused by a
lack of a feature in man-db (I can't see why it would be the case) or
a config issue. I haven't spent much time looking it up as it's a
minor thing and works with 'most' although I would prefer 'less'.

Eric

Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Xavier

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>> Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:27:01 -0600
>> schrieb Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Don't Andy's and Jan's words here contradict with regard to creating
>>> a man user?
>>>
>>> -Dan
>>>

>> This was my mistake. I had cp'ed the install file from the community
>> pkg and missed make my changes before the commit.
>>
>> So a -2 pkg is now up for signoff. I removed the unwanted man user
>> creation. Added a msg for anybody upgrading from 2.5.3-1 and earlier to
>> remove the user and change permission on the db dir. The cronjob runs in
>> quiet mode now. Added a backup array for its config file. Now it should
>> be ready to move.
>>
>> Anything else to improve?
>>
>> -Andy
>>

> I haven't tried the -2 pkg yet , but I noticed that with man-db I
> don't have coloured man pages anymore when using 'less' as the pager.
> To get coloured man pages, I need to use 'most' as pager.
> Is there anyone else who has this problem? It might be caused by a
> lack of a feature in man-db (I can't see why it would be the case) or
> a config issue. I haven't spent much time looking it up as it's a
> minor thing and works with 'most' although I would prefer 'less'.
>
> Eric

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130#comment31955

If man-db becomes the default man reader, should we use most as the
default pager, or export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:

>>> This was my mistake. I had cp'ed the install file from the community
>>> pkg and missed make my changes before the commit.
>>>
>>> So a -2 pkg is now up for signoff. I removed the unwanted man user
>>> creation. Added a msg for anybody upgrading from 2.5.3-1 and earlier to
>>> remove the user and change permission on the db dir. The cronjob runs in
>>> quiet mode now. Added a backup array for its config file. Now it should
>>> be ready to move.
>>>
>>> Anything else to improve?
>>>
>>> -Andy
>>>

>> I haven't tried the -2 pkg yet , but I noticed that with man-db I
>> don't have coloured man pages anymore when using 'less' as the pager.
>> To get coloured man pages, I need to use 'most' as pager.
>> Is there anyone else who has this problem? It might be caused by a
>> lack of a feature in man-db (I can't see why it would be the case) or
>> a config issue. I haven't spent much time looking it up as it's a
>> minor thing and works with 'most' although I would prefer 'less'.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130#comment31955
>
> If man-db becomes the default man reader, should we use most as the
> default pager, or export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default?

Can you find what this affects? Added a profile.d script to export
this might not be a bad idea, but it's not exactly a good idea either.
most as a default pager is probably not a good idea.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:

>>> This was my mistake. I had cp'ed the install file from the community
>>> pkg and missed make my changes before the commit.
>>>
>>> So a -2 pkg is now up for signoff. I removed the unwanted man user
>>> creation. Added a msg for anybody upgrading from 2.5.3-1 and earlier to
>>> remove the user and change permission on the db dir. The cronjob runs in
>>> quiet mode now. Added a backup array for its config file. Now it should
>>> be ready to move.
>>>
>>> Anything else to improve?
>>>
>>> -Andy
>>>

>> I haven't tried the -2 pkg yet , but I noticed that with man-db I
>> don't have coloured man pages anymore when using 'less' as the pager.
>> To get coloured man pages, I need to use 'most' as pager.
>> Is there anyone else who has this problem? It might be caused by a
>> lack of a feature in man-db (I can't see why it would be the case) or
>> a config issue. I haven't spent much time looking it up as it's a
>> minor thing and works with 'most' although I would prefer 'less'.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130#comment31955
>
> If man-db becomes the default man reader, should we use most as the
> default pager, or export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default?

I would be better to export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default. 'most' is in
extra so I guess we'll need to move it to core if it's the default
pager. Most people probably use 'less' as we already have it in core.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I haven't tried the -2 pkg yet , but I noticed that with man-db I
>>> don't have coloured man pages anymore when using 'less' as the pager.
>>> To get coloured man pages, I need to use 'most' as pager.
>>> Is there anyone else who has this problem? It might be caused by a
>>> lack of a feature in man-db (I can't see why it would be the case) or
>>> a config issue. I haven't spent much time looking it up as it's a
>>> minor thing and works with 'most' although I would prefer 'less'.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>

>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130#comment31955
>>
>> If man-db becomes the default man reader, should we use most as the
>> default pager, or export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default?
>
> Can you find what this affects? Added a profile.d script to export
> this might not be a bad idea, but it's not exactly a good idea either.
> most as a default pager is probably not a good idea.

I was thinking the same about using a profile script. Maybe that
variable can be set in the config file: etc/man_db.conf

Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I haven't tried the -2 pkg yet , but I noticed that with man-db I
>>> don't have coloured man pages anymore when using 'less' as the pager.
>>> To get coloured man pages, I need to use 'most' as pager.
>>> Is there anyone else who has this problem? It might be caused by a
>>> lack of a feature in man-db (I can't see why it would be the case) or
>>> a config issue. I haven't spent much time looking it up as it's a
>>> minor thing and works with 'most' although I would prefer 'less'.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>

>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130#comment31955
>>
>> If man-db becomes the default man reader, should we use most as the
>> default pager, or export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default?
>>

> I would be better to export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default. 'most' is in
> extra so I guess we'll need to move it to core if it's the default
> pager. Most people probably use 'less' as we already have it in core.

Wait a tick....

Use the -c switch to revert to the old behaviour, printing a bold
character c with the sequence `c BACKSPACE c' and an italic
character c by the sequence `_ BACKSPACE c'. At the same time, color
out-put output put is disabled. The same effect can be achieved by
setting either the GROFF_NO_SGR environment variable or using the
`sgr' X command (see below).

GROFF_NO_SGR *disables* color output? Try unsetting all the less
environment vars, maybe it does color on its own?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130#comment31955
>>>
>>> If man-db becomes the default man reader, should we use most as the
>>> default pager, or export GROFF_NO_SGR=1 by default?
>>
>> Can you find what this affects? Added a profile.d script to export
>> this might not be a bad idea, but it's not exactly a good idea either.
>> most as a default pager is probably not a good idea.
>>

> I was thinking the same about using a profile script. Maybe that
> variable can be set in the config file: etc/man_db.conf

Adding -c to the TROFF and NROFF settings in man_db.conf fixes this

Old 02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Can you find what this affects? Added a profile.d script to export
>>> this might not be a bad idea, but it's not exactly a good idea either.
>>> most as a default pager is probably not a good idea.
>>>

>> I was thinking the same about using a profile script. Maybe that
>> variable can be set in the config file: etc/man_db.conf
>
> Adding -c to the TROFF and NROFF settings in man_db.conf fixes this

Hmmm do these settings look sane as default settings:

DEFINE troff groff -mandoc -Tutf8 -c
DEFINE nroff nroff -mandoc -Tutf8 -c

We used to use -Tps (which seems silly from reading the groff man
page) and the -c flags used to exist as well

Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:11:02 -0600
schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Eric Bélanger
> <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Aaron Griffin
> > <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can you find what this affects? Added a profile.d script to export
> >> this might not be a bad idea, but it's not exactly a good idea
> >> either. most as a default pager is probably not a good idea.
> >>

> > I was thinking the same about using a profile script. Maybe that
> > variable can be set in the config file: etc/man_db.conf
>
> Adding -c to the TROFF and NROFF settings in man_db.conf fixes this

I'd like to leave the package plain upstream. Maybe we can put this
into a wiki page where we also write down how man-pages have to be
encoded and where to put.

-Andy