Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Aaron Griffin

Default man-db 2.5.3-2 replacing man

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:11:02 -0600
> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Eric Bélanger
>> <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I was thinking the same about using a profile script. Maybe that
>> > variable can be set in the config file: etc/man_db.conf
>>
>> Adding -c to the TROFF and NROFF settings in man_db.conf fixes this
>>

> I'd like to leave the package plain upstream. Maybe we can put this
> into a wiki page where we also write down how man-pages have to be
> encoded and where to put.

Hmm, we ship modified config files for a lot of things (the "sane
defaults" rationale). This one seems cryptic enough to boggle most
people. It's not like there's a "turn_color_on = yes" setting... it's
a command line arg to groff, which most people haven't heard of... to
me it seems more beneficial to do it at the package level and we end
up with groff output as close to what we got with the 'man' package as
we can get.

I'll log a bug with upstream for this one

Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>> Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:11:02 -0600
>> schrieb Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:

>>> Adding -c to the TROFF and NROFF settings in man_db.conf fixes this
>>>

>> I'd like to leave the package plain upstream. Maybe we can put this
>> into a wiki page where we also write down how man-pages have to be
>> encoded and where to put.
>
> Hmm, we ship modified config files for a lot of things (the "sane
> defaults" rationale). This one seems cryptic enough to boggle most
> people. It's not like there's a "turn_color_on = yes" setting... it's
> a command line arg to groff, which most people haven't heard of... to
> me it seems more beneficial to do it at the package level and we end
> up with groff output as close to what we got with the 'man' package as
> we can get.
>
> I'll log a bug with upstream for this one

Apparently Debian disables SGR output the same way we do some
character translations in the groff package:

The following is in /usr/share/groff/site-tmac/{man,mdoc}.local

if n {
. " Debian: Disable the use of SGR (ANSI colour) escape sequences by
. " grotty.
. if 'V[GROFF_SGR]'
. output x X tty: sgr 0
.}

We could do the same, considering we already make additions to the
tmac files - would anyone be against this?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:27:01 -0600
> schrieb Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:
>
>> Don't Andy's and Jan's words here contradict with regard to creating
>> a man user?
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> This was my mistake. I had cp'ed the install file from the community
> pkg and missed make my changes before the commit.
>
> So a -2 pkg is now up for signoff. I removed the unwanted man user
> creation. Added a msg for anybody upgrading from 2.5.3-1 and earlier to
> remove the user and change permission on the db dir. The cronjob runs in
> quiet mode now. Added a backup array for its config file. Now it should
> be ready to move.
>
> Anything else to improve?
>
> -Andy

There's a typo in the post-install message (required instead of
requiered). I'm not a native speaker but I would change it to:

echo "The system user "man" is not required anymore."
echo "Please run "userdel man" and "chown root:root /var/cache/man""