Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Thomas Bächler

Default Dumping klibc (WAS: Changing raid/raid-partitions initcpio hooks)

Tobias Powalowski schrieb:
Now comes the point, to achive this, mdadm will be needed in initramfs which
means having a 900k static binary in early boot sequence.
(raid-partitions hook already uses this binary)

I am really annoyed by the fact that almost nothing builds against klibc.

Wouldn't it be easier to switch to uclibc and busybox? Both are much
more powerful and we wouldn't need static binaries for lvm, cryptsetup
or mdadm. We would also have much less problems with all the ABI changes
that happen with klibc.

I thought we needed a complete toolchain for that, but Jan claimed that
it is possible to use our normal gcc and binutils for that.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Jan de Groot

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 02:38 +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> I thought we needed a complete toolchain for that, but Jan claimed
> that
> it is possible to use our normal gcc and binutils for that.

I'm using an unofficial debian package for uclibc. There's a package
called uclibc-toolchain, which contains a script to munge the gcc spec
file. After this script is used to munge the gcc spec file (we could
alter the gcc specfile by default in the gcc package btw), there's a new
flag for gcc: -uclibc. Whenever you compile something with this option,
includefiles are diverted to /usr/i486-linux-uclibc/include and
libraries are linked against uclibc instead of glibc. The only problem
we have to solve is getting shared libraries like the ones from
devicemapper installed in a way that it doesn't conflict with the ones
that link against glibc.