Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 PM
"Dan McGee"

Default What not to do when packaging (vbetool)

Problem here:
<http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/system/vbetool/PKGBUILD.diff?r1=1.5&r2=1.6&cvsroot=Extra>

There are about 4 revisions in a row of this, and none of them had a
pkgrel bump. Our dbscripts suck, but it looks like they got messed up
parsing the dependencies into the sync DB, leaving a nice little
problem on my system:

$ testdb
missing dependency for vbetool : libx86

The package contains the correct deps (zlib and libx86), but the sync
db only contains zlib. Thus, my system is "broken" at the moment. We
need to be careful when it comes to this kind of situation. If you
make a dependency change to a package, you must ensure you bump the
pkgrel when changing the PKGBUILD. It isn't the end of the world if
the end user doesn't see a built package for every pkgrel bump- that
is really for our internal use anyway.

-Dan

Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM
"James Rayner"

On Sun, December 30, 2007 07:02, Dan McGee wrote:
> Problem here:
> <http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/system/vbetool/PKGBUILD.diff?r1=1.5&r2=1.6&cvsroot=Extra>
>
> There are about 4 revisions in a row of this, and none of them had a
> pkgrel bump. Our dbscripts suck, but it looks like they got messed up
> parsing the dependencies into the sync DB, leaving a nice little
> problem on my system:
>
> $ testdb
> missing dependency for vbetool : libx86
>
> The package contains the correct deps (zlib and libx86), but the sync
> db only contains zlib. Thus, my system is "broken" at the moment. We
> need to be careful when it comes to this kind of situation. If you
> make a dependency change to a package, you must ensure you bump the
> pkgrel when changing the PKGBUILD. It isn't the end of the world if
> the end user doesn't see a built package for every pkgrel bump- that
> is really for our internal use anyway.

Oh. It was an update from vbetool 0.7 to 1.0... so I didn't see the need
for a PKGREL bump. Didn't realise I had to bump it with each commit also
-- thought it had to just be right for when the final package went up.

James

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Dec 29, 2007 3:21 PM, James Rayner <iphitus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, December 30, 2007 07:02, Dan McGee wrote:
> > Problem here:
> > <http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/system/vbetool/PKGBUILD.diff?r1=1.5&r2=1.6&cvsroot=Extra>
> >
> > There are about 4 revisions in a row of this, and none of them had a
> > pkgrel bump. Our dbscripts suck, but it looks like they got messed up
> > parsing the dependencies into the sync DB, leaving a nice little
> > problem on my system:
> >
> > $ testdb
> > missing dependency for vbetool : libx86
> >
> > The package contains the correct deps (zlib and libx86), but the sync
> > db only contains zlib. Thus, my system is "broken" at the moment. We
> > need to be careful when it comes to this kind of situation. If you
> > make a dependency change to a package, you must ensure you bump the
> > pkgrel when changing the PKGBUILD. It isn't the end of the world if
> > the end user doesn't see a built package for every pkgrel bump- that
> > is really for our internal use anyway.
>
> Oh. It was an update from vbetool 0.7 to 1.0... so I didn't see the need
> for a PKGREL bump. Didn't realise I had to bump it with each commit also
> -- thought it had to just be right for when the final package went up.

Yeah, I'm not completely sure what happened. However, if you are going
to do incremental checkins, I'd recommend using the cvs tools directly
instead of extrapkg (which moves the CURRENT tag every time). It was
more just something that came up when debugging pacman (thinking it
was a pacman bug), and just wanted to let everyone know that weird
things can happen.

-Dan

Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Xavier

James Rayner wrote:

[...]

Would it be possible to bump this package now then?
I just ran testdb on one of my box, which reminded me of this issue.