Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Aaron Griffin

Default HTML email will be rejected

Hello all,
I am writing to inform you that I have changed all the Arch lists to
reject HTML formatted email. Please send messages in plain text only.

Note: This is true of all lists, but I am only sending this message to
the higher trafficked lists.

Cheers,
Aaron

Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:04:09 -0600
Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am writing to inform you that I have changed all the Arch lists to
> reject HTML formatted email. Please send messages in plain text only.
>
> Note: This is true of all lists, but I am only sending this message to
> the higher trafficked lists.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron

Any specific reason? afaik html emails are 100% backwards compatible, eg
those who don't want them can see the txt variant, no?

Dieter

Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:04:09 -0600
> Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> I am writing to inform you that I have changed all the Arch lists to
>> reject HTML formatted email. Please send messages in plain text only.
>>
>> Note: This is true of all lists, but I am only sending this message to
>> the higher trafficked lists.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aaron
>
> Any specific reason? afaik html emails are 100% backwards compatible, eg
> those who don't want them can see the txt variant, no?

That is only if you client also sends a text variant in a multipart
mime encoding. I believe mailman may still accept those and expand the
text portion.

To quote the mailman docs:
----------
After this initial filtering, any multipart attachments that are
empty are removed. If the outer message is left empty after this
filtering, then the whole message is discarded.

Then, each multipart/alternative section will be replaced by just the
first alternative that is non-empty after filtering if
collapse_alternatives is enabled.
----------
Allowed mimetypes:
multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
message/rfc822
text/plain

But to answer the "reason" part - we get periodic spam on these lists
and the only ones that seem to sneak through are HTML. That's where
the idea came from, so I asked the rest of the devs about blocking
html mail and got an emphatic "please do it!" from all of them - thus
it was done.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Loui Chang

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 07:02:38PM +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:04:09 -0600
> Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I am writing to inform you that I have changed all the Arch lists to
> > reject HTML formatted email. Please send messages in plain text only.
> >
> > Note: This is true of all lists, but I am only sending this message to
> > the higher trafficked lists.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Aaron
>
> Any specific reason? afaik html emails are 100% backwards compatible, eg
> those who don't want them can see the txt variant, no?

Well, there's no point in sending them at all if there's a text variant.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Eduardo Romero

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 01:04:09 pm Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am writing to inform you that I have changed all the Arch lists to
> reject HTML formatted email. Please send messages in plain text only.
>
> Note: This is true of all lists, but I am only sending this message to
> the higher trafficked lists.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron
< html >
< b >All understood!!!< / b >
< / html >

Old 02-11-2009, 08:32 PM
RedShift

Aaron Griffin wrote:

Hello all,
I am writing to inform you that I have changed all the Arch lists to
reject HTML formatted email. Please send messages in plain text only.

Note: This is true of all lists, but I am only sending this message to
the higher trafficked lists.

Cheers,
Aaron

Good riddance. When customers of me send me HTML email they can always expect a plaintext reply.

Glenn

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Grigorios Bouzakis

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:04:09AM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am writing to inform you that I have changed all the Arch lists to
> reject HTML formatted email. Please send messages in plain text only.
>
> Note: This is true of all lists, but I am only sending this message to
> the higher trafficked lists.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron

Heres a good resource for reasons not to use HTML in emails.
http://www.freeantispam.org/html-email.php
Theres countless others, including wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_e-mail

--
Greg

what to do and what not to do in public )
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php