Old 02-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Andreas Radke

Default what about "ed" now?

I have made a change to the patch package that "ed" is now an optional
dependency. I've searched through our svn and all I've found is that no
other package depends on ed. I think "ed" is still a widely used *nix
editor and you would expect it to be there.

What do you think? Should we just keep in in

1) core(-devel),
2) move it to extra or even
3) drop it at all (means community could pick it up again).

I'm somewhat between 1) and 2). The package is still well maintained
upstream though releases happen only rarely.

Opinions?

-Andy

Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Xavier

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> I have made a change to the patch package that "ed" is now an optional
> dependency. I've searched through our svn and all I've found is that no
> other package depends on ed. I think "ed" is still a widely used *nix
> editor and you would expect it to be there.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually use ed? I never used
it, not even once

Anyway, it's a 100kb package with no deps, and according to you, well
maintained upstream, so I don't think it's much important where it
sits.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>> I have made a change to the patch package that "ed" is now an optional
>> dependency. I've searched through our svn and all I've found is that no
>> other package depends on ed. I think "ed" is still a widely used *nix
>> editor and you would expect it to be there.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually use ed? I never used
> it, not even once

I've only used it once or twice. It's definitely neat, I'll tell you that.

> Anyway, it's a 100kb package with no deps, and according to you, well
> maintained upstream, so I don't think it's much important where it
> sits.

I say we keep it in core, for now. ed is actually a POSIX required utility.

It appears the standards require registration to view - ugh. The LSB
has a list of POSIX compliant utilities here:
http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/command.html
See all commands marked [1]

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 14:07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>>> I have made a change to the patch package that "ed" is now an optional
>>> dependency. I've searched through our svn and all I've found is that no
>>> other package depends on ed. I think "ed" is still a widely used *nix
>>> editor and you would expect it to be there.
>>>

>> Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually use ed? I never used
>> it, not even once
>
> I've only used it once or twice. It's definitely neat, I'll tell you that.
>
>> Anyway, it's a 100kb package with no deps, and according to you, well
>> maintained upstream, so I don't think it's much important where it
>> sits.
>
> I say we keep it in core, for now. ed is actually a POSIX required utility.
>
> It appears the standards require registration to view - ugh. The LSB
> has a list of POSIX compliant utilities here:
> http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/command.html
> See all commands marked [1]

I second keeping it in core. It's a standard and according to what
I've heard, is extremely useful for visually impaired users.

--Daenyth