Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Damir Perisa

Default qt4 timeframe? stoppers? breaks? anything in the wheels?

Friday 28 December 2007, Damir Perisa wrote:
| i knwo that lots was going on and qt is not in version 4 in
| testing as well as qt3 also there.

this should read:

i KNOW that lots was going on and qt is NOW in version 4 in testing...

typos when hurrying, i should concentrate more on only one thing at a
time, since i'm not a woman

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Freitag, 28. Dezember 2007 15:47:49 schrieb Damir Perisa:
> it's me again, the testing-remindering-nag-person. this time in the
> programme... qt4.
>
> i knwo that lots was going on and qt is not in version 4 in testing as
> well as qt3 also there. i ran into lack of pyqt (4) some time ago but
> as we now have it (thanx again) and i checked the bugs and could not
> find any qt(4)-related issues, i would say, we finish this and put it
> in extra.
>
> lets give the squeaky wheel some grease
>
> anybody who knows about stoppers or at least breaking issues, please

You are right, there are currently no known problem with qt3 and qt-4. The
only showstopper is pacman. ATM pacman does not update the dependencies of a
package. And because I changed qt to qt3 and qt4 to qt you will get some
strange results when trying to remove packages etc.. This bug is fixed with
the upcoming 3.1-release.

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Damir Perisa

Wednesday 02 January 2008, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
| Am Freitag, 28. Dezember 2007 15:47:49 schrieb Damir Perisa:
| > it's me again, the testing-remindering-nag-person. this time in
| > the programme... qt4.
| >
| > i knwo that lots was going on and qt is not in version 4 in
| > testing as well as qt3 also there. i ran into lack of pyqt (4)
| > some time ago but as we now have it (thanx again) and i checked
| > the bugs and could not find any qt(4)-related issues, i would
| > say, we finish this and put it in extra.
| >
| > lets give the squeaky wheel some grease
| >
| > anybody who knows about stoppers or at least breaking issues,
| > please reply to this email as soon as possible. thanx
|
| You are right, there are currently no known problem with qt3 and
| qt-4. The only showstopper is pacman. ATM pacman does not update
| the dependencies of a package. And because I changed qt to qt3 and
| qt4 to qt you will get some strange results when trying to remove
| packages etc.. This bug is fixed with the upcoming 3.1-release.

so qt4 has as releasedependency pacman 3.1. this is good to know!
thank you!

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2008 00:31:54 schrieb Damir Perisa:
> so qt4 has as releasedependency pacman 3.1. this is good to know!
> thank you!

We'll see. Last year I thought pacman 3.1 is just about to be released. But it
seems to be delayed.

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 3, 2008 5:08 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2008 00:31:54 schrieb Damir Perisa:
> > so qt4 has as releasedependency pacman 3.1. this is good to know!
> > thank you!
>
> We'll see. Last year I thought pacman 3.1 is just about to be released. But it
> seems to be delayed.

I think one of the pending things is a german translation. Also,
testing is always appreciated. Both of these things will help get
pacman out the door faster, and both of them you could help with, if
you're waiting on it.

(Side note: de, es, pl_PL, pt_BR, and ru_RU are all pending translations still)

Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Freitag, 4. Januar 2008 00:38:55 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> I think one of the pending things is a german translation.

Afaik Matthias is working on this. I'll ask him if there is still some work to
do.

> Also,
> testing is always appreciated. Both of these things will help get
> pacman out the door faster, and both of them you could help with, if
> you're waiting on it.

If translation are the only showstoppers atm. I would suggest to just put it
into [testing]. Translations do not need to be perfect when testing pacman
and it would not hurt if some outputs are still in english.

If there are no critical bugs which might mess up your system it would be nice
to see pacman 3.1 in [testing].

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 3, 2008 6:24 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 4. Januar 2008 00:38:55 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > I think one of the pending things is a german translation.
>
> Afaik Matthias is working on this. I'll ask him if there is still some work to
> do.
>
> > Also,
> > testing is always appreciated. Both of these things will help get
> > pacman out the door faster, and both of them you could help with, if
> > you're waiting on it.
>
> If translation are the only showstoppers atm. I would suggest to just put it
> into [testing]. Translations do not need to be perfect when testing pacman
> and it would not hurt if some outputs are still in english.
>
> If there are no critical bugs which might mess up your system it would be nice
> to see pacman 3.1 in [testing].

I've had a pacman-git repo for some time where people can test it out,
and we still have some install issues to work out, unless we don't
care about wiping people's abs conf files (in all seriousness, do
we?).

In addition to that, once I make a release, it is a *release*. Meaning
I make tarballs, solidify the lib so number, etc. So "dropping it into
testing" works the same as any other package- I can't just update it
there every day willy-nilly when people find issues, which is why I
want them ironed out before I release 3.1.0.

-Dan

Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 3, 2008 6:24 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 4. Januar 2008 00:38:55 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > I think one of the pending things is a german translation.
>
> Afaik Matthias is working on this. I'll ask him if there is still some work to
> do.
>
> > Also,
> > testing is always appreciated. Both of these things will help get
> > pacman out the door faster, and both of them you could help with, if
> > you're waiting on it.
>
> If translation are the only showstoppers atm. I would suggest to just put it
> into [testing]. Translations do not need to be perfect when testing pacman
> and it would not hurt if some outputs are still in english.
>
> If there are no critical bugs which might mess up your system it would be nice
> to see pacman 3.1 in [testing].

We're talking two different things here. Releasing a PACKAGE is
totally different than releasing an APPLICATION. I'm positive Dan is
well aware of what it takes to deliver a piece of software.