Old 02-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Allan McRae

Default Maintainer wanted for ruby

Ondřej Kučera wrote:

Hi,

Kessia 'even' Pinheiro wrote:

True, but, it depends of the user. If he don't use any gem, it wont
broke. So, we need decide if we'll provide a new package with many new
features, or wait some time (how much?) to provide this package
because some (how much?) users use a specific gem to code/run a Rails
app.

Yes, it's not an easy question, ideally someone enough involved in the
Rails community should say when it is OK (from Rails point of view) to
upgrade Ruby. I'm definitely not that person I'm afraid, I just wanted
to say that upgrading Ruby has its consequences. I myself don't
use/need any other gems than those that Rails require, at least for
now I don't.

We can alway have a ruby package and a ruby18 package at a later date,
much like what will happen when I make python3 to python. Currently, it
seems that nothing in the repos builds against ruby-1.9 so I (or whoever
takes ruby over) can wait for that transition and provide a ruby19 package.

Allan

Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Ondřej Kučera

Hi,

We can alway have a ruby package and a ruby18 package at a later date,
much like what will happen when I make python3 to python. Currently, it
seems that nothing in the repos builds against ruby-1.9 so I (or whoever
takes ruby over) can wait for that transition and provide a ruby19 package.

Well maintaining both versions (at least for some time) would be an
ideal solution, only I didn't dare to suggest it because I can imagine
it takes quite some work. :-)

Ondřej

--
Cheers,
Ondřej Kučera

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM
"Kessia 'even' Pinheiro"

Hi,

Maintain both version only depends of the developer, he'll maintain
both? And it can broke any actual package?

--
Kessia Pinheiro
Computer Science Student - Brazil, UFBa

Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Johannes Held

"Kessia 'even' Pinheiro" <kessiapinheiro@gmail.com>:
> And it can broke any actual package?
Updating to 1.9.1 broke vim (beeing compiled with --enable-rubyinterp.
libruby.so can't be located at startup...)

--
Gru, Johannes
Tglich http://blog.hehejo.de und du fhlst dich gut.

http://cryptocd.eduforge.org/online_version