Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Aaron Griffin

Default bash 3.2.048-3, texinfo 4.13a-2, glibc 2.9-3

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:20, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So how bad does Arch break by replacing /bin/sh with a link to dash
>> instead of bash? Dash has zero deps, so my guess is we could kill just
>> about any dep cycle involving bash by doing this. There is going to be
>> definite fallout, however, and I haven't tried it in a while.

I don't think that's really the issue here. We determined that the
shell is used from the *parent* system, so it's not needed in the new
root to run scriptlets and the like.

> I don't know how much it would break things, but I do like linking sh
> to dash in general. Just change the initscripts to use #!/bin/bash
> instead of /bin/sh (Which they should anyway if they don't, as they
> use bashisms)

output trimmed:
$ grep bash *
netfs:#!/bin/bash
network:#!/bin/bash
rc.local:#!/bin/bash
rc.local.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
rc.multi:#!/bin/bash
rc.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
rc.single:#!/bin/bash
rc.sysinit:#!/bin/bash

Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:20, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So how bad does Arch break by replacing /bin/sh with a link to dash
>> instead of bash? Dash has zero deps, so my guess is we could kill just
>> about any dep cycle involving bash by doing this. There is going to be
>> definite fallout, however, and I haven't tried it in a while.

I don't think that's really the issue here. We determined that the
shell is used from the *parent* system, so it's not needed in the new
root to run scriptlets and the like.

> I don't know how much it would break things, but I do like linking sh
> to dash in general. Just change the initscripts to use #!/bin/bash
> instead of /bin/sh (Which they should anyway if they don't, as they
> use bashisms)

output trimmed:
$ grep bash *
netfs:#!/bin/bash
network:#!/bin/bash
rc.local:#!/bin/bash
rc.local.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
rc.multi:#!/bin/bash
rc.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
rc.single:#!/bin/bash
rc.sysinit:#!/bin/bash

Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:33, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know how much it would break things, but I do like linking sh
>> to dash in general. Just change the initscripts to use #!/bin/bash
>> instead of /bin/sh (Which they should anyway if they don't, as they
>> use bashisms)
>
> output trimmed:
> $ grep bash *
> netfs:#!/bin/bash
> network:#!/bin/bash
> rc.local:#!/bin/bash
> rc.local.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
> rc.multi:#!/bin/bash
> rc.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
> rc.single:#!/bin/bash
> rc.sysinit:#!/bin/bash

Ah nice, I missed that change. Seems like it shouldn't have a huge
impact. Worth a news item if you do it though.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:33, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know how much it would break things, but I do like linking sh
>>> to dash in general. Just change the initscripts to use #!/bin/bash
>>> instead of /bin/sh (Which they should anyway if they don't, as they
>>> use bashisms)
>>
>> output trimmed:
>> $ grep bash *
>> netfs:#!/bin/bash
>> network:#!/bin/bash
>> rc.local:#!/bin/bash
>> rc.local.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
>> rc.multi:#!/bin/bash
>> rc.shutdown:#!/bin/bash
>> rc.single:#!/bin/bash
>> rc.sysinit:#!/bin/bash
>>

> Ah nice, I missed that change. Seems like it shouldn't have a huge
> impact. Worth a news item if you do it though.

Looks like they'd been sneaking in for some time. Here's one change I found:
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=initscripts.git;a=commitdiff;h=662a52c15343338e 9d843c6f70d39acefd3a2c4c

And that was Nov. 2007.