Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Dan McGee

Default Fix texinfo-based depcycles in core

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> This idea is Thomas', I take no credit, except that I actually wrote it up.
>
> The idea:
> texinfo, on install, processes all info files. bash and glibc (and,
> likely, other packages in core) no longer need to depend on texinfo,
> but should check for install-info in the scriptlets before running.
>
> a) user installs bash and glibc. No info files are processed, texinfo
> not installed
> user then installs texinfo, all info files are processed
> b) user installs texinfo first (somehow)
> user then installs bash, info files processed due to existence of
> install-info
> c) user follows case a or b
> user upgrades bash or glibc, info files processed as normal due to
> presence of install-info
>
> Any issues with this? See attached patch. Please review. If possible,
> this needs to go to core before we release the ISOs.

Seems reasonable for now. Basically any package in core should
1) not depend on texinfo
2) attempt to call install-info if it has info pages AND install-info is found?

-Dan

Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This idea is Thomas', I take no credit, except that I actually wrote it up.
>>
>> The idea:
>> texinfo, on install, processes all info files. bash and glibc (and,
>> likely, other packages in core) no longer need to depend on texinfo,
>> but should check for install-info in the scriptlets before running.
>>
>> a) user installs bash and glibc. No info files are processed, texinfo
>> not installed
>> user then installs texinfo, all info files are processed
>> b) user installs texinfo first (somehow)
>> user then installs bash, info files processed due to existence of
>> install-info
>> c) user follows case a or b
>> user upgrades bash or glibc, info files processed as normal due to
>> presence of install-info
>>
>> Any issues with this? See attached patch. Please review. If possible,
>> this needs to go to core before we release the ISOs.
>
> Seems reasonable for now. Basically any package in core should
> 1) not depend on texinfo
> 2) attempt to call install-info if it has info pages AND install-info is found?

Yeah

I guess, technically all packages should check for install-info before
actually doing anything - it's only proper.

Allan, can we get the proto file updated with the -x check (and full paths) ?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This idea is Thomas', I take no credit, except that I actually wrote it up.
>>>
>>> The idea:
>>> texinfo, on install, processes all info files. bash and glibc (and,
>>> likely, other packages in core) no longer need to depend on texinfo,
>>> but should check for install-info in the scriptlets before running.
>>>
>>> a) user installs bash and glibc. No info files are processed, texinfo
>>> not installed
>>> user then installs texinfo, all info files are processed
>>> b) user installs texinfo first (somehow)
>>> user then installs bash, info files processed due to existence of
>>> install-info
>>> c) user follows case a or b
>>> user upgrades bash or glibc, info files processed as normal due to
>>> presence of install-info
>>>
>>> Any issues with this? See attached patch. Please review. If possible,
>>> this needs to go to core before we release the ISOs.
>>
>> Seems reasonable for now. Basically any package in core should
>> 1) not depend on texinfo
>> 2) attempt to call install-info if it has info pages AND install-info is found?
>
> Yeah
>
> I guess, technically all packages should check for install-info before
> actually doing anything - it's only proper.
>
> Allan, can we get the proto file updated with the -x check (and full paths) ?

Any opinions on this (well, the second email, with the fixed patch) ?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Seems reasonable for now. Basically any package in core should
>>> 1) not depend on texinfo
>>> 2) attempt to call install-info if it has info pages AND install-info is found?
>>
>> Yeah
>>
>> I guess, technically all packages should check for install-info before
>> actually doing anything - it's only proper.
>>
>> Allan, can we get the proto file updated with the -x check (and full paths) ?
>
> Any opinions on this (well, the second email, with the fixed patch) ?

Seems fine to me. Good catch on the executable not being there.

-Dan

Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

That fix looks good to me. How long does it take to scan all info pages
when reinstalling texinfo on a system with a decent number of packages
installed?

I will update the proto file soon.

Allan