Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Andreas Radke

Default man-pages 3.17-1

next minor upstream release. please signoff.

-Andy

Old 01-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Allan McRae

Andreas Radke wrote:

next minor upstream release. please signoff.

-Andy

Signoff i686.

Allan

Old 01-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Dan McGee

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Andreas Radke wrote:
>>
>> next minor upstream release. please signoff.
>>
>> -Andy
>>

> Signoff i686.

OMG I broke it!

dmcgee@galway ~
$ man geteuid32 | cat
<standard input>:2: can't open `man2/getuid.2': No such file or directory

Probably not the biggest deal in the world, but it looks like
compression is doing something weird with the way these links work.
Any ideas on fixing?

-Dan

Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Andreas Radke

Am Sat, 24 Jan 2009 23:43:53 -0600
schrieb Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:

> OMG I broke it!
>
> dmcgee@galway ~
> $ man geteuid32 | cat
> <standard input>:2: can't open `man2/getuid.2': No such file or
> directory
>
> Probably not the biggest deal in the world, but it looks like
> compression is doing something weird with the way these links work.
> Any ideas on fixing?
>
> -Dan

[andyrtr@laptop64 ~]$ locate geteuid
/usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/auto/POSIX/geteuid.al
/usr/share/man/man2/geteuid.2.gz
/usr/share/man/man2/geteuid32.2.gz
/usr/share/man/man3p/geteuid.3p.gz
/usr/share/ri/1.8/system/Process/Sys/geteuid-c.yaml

your command is broken in all man-pages versions since 3.00 - are you
sure anything else but "man geteuid"(works here) is wanted and needed?

-Andy

Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Xavier

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> [andyrtr@laptop64 ~]$ locate geteuid
> /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/auto/POSIX/geteuid.al
> /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid.2.gz
> /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid32.2.gz
> /usr/share/man/man3p/geteuid.3p.gz
> /usr/share/ri/1.8/system/Process/Sys/geteuid-c.yaml
>

> your command is broken in all man-pages versions since 3.00 - are you
> sure anything else but "man geteuid"(works here) is wanted and needed?

Probably not, but this issue is quite weird, there are many others *32
man pages that are just simple links, and they all work fine.
$ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid32.2.gz
.so man2/geteuid.2
$ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/getgid32.2.gz
.so man2/getgid.2
$ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/getgroups32.2.gz
.so man2/getgroups.2

Yet, only geteuid32 is broken. Very weird.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Dan McGee

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>> [andyrtr@laptop64 ~]$ locate geteuid
>> /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/auto/POSIX/geteuid.al
>> /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid.2.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid32.2.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3p/geteuid.3p.gz
>> /usr/share/ri/1.8/system/Process/Sys/geteuid-c.yaml
>>

>> your command is broken in all man-pages versions since 3.00 - are you
>> sure anything else but "man geteuid"(works here) is wanted and needed?

I chose this one randomly and it happened to blow up on me, so sorry
for the lucky smoke test.

Not so much needed as "if we install something, it shouldn't be
broken". But with Xavier's comment below about them not all being
broken...

> Probably not, but this issue is quite weird, there are many others *32
> man pages that are just simple links, and they all work fine.
> $ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid32.2.gz
> .so man2/geteuid.2
> $ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/getgid32.2.gz
> .so man2/getgid.2
> $ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/getgroups32.2.gz
> .so man2/getgroups.2
>
> Yet, only geteuid32 is broken. Very weird.

That is quite odd. What is different about this one that it fails to
link correctly?

-Dan

Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Xavier

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
>>> [andyrtr@laptop64 ~]$ locate geteuid
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/auto/POSIX/geteuid.al
>>> /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid.2.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid32.2.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3p/geteuid.3p.gz
>>> /usr/share/ri/1.8/system/Process/Sys/geteuid-c.yaml
>>>

>>> your command is broken in all man-pages versions since 3.00 - are you
>>> sure anything else but "man geteuid"(works here) is wanted and needed?
>
> I chose this one randomly and it happened to blow up on me, so sorry
> for the lucky smoke test.
>
> Not so much needed as "if we install something, it shouldn't be
> broken". But with Xavier's comment below about them not all being
> broken...
>
>> Probably not, but this issue is quite weird, there are many others *32
>> man pages that are just simple links, and they all work fine.
>> $ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/geteuid32.2.gz
>> .so man2/geteuid.2
>> $ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/getgid32.2.gz
>> .so man2/getgid.2
>> $ zcat /usr/share/man/man2/getgroups32.2.gz
>> .so man2/getgroups.2
>>
>> Yet, only geteuid32 is broken. Very weird.
>
> That is quite odd. What is different about this one that it fails to
> link correctly?

Oh I am so stupid, I finally found what the difference is. It breaks
when we have more than 1-level symlink.
lstat64 -> lstat -> stat
geteuid32 -> geteuid -> getuid

Now it doesn't look so odd anymore, good

And thanks, you just gave me another argument for pushing for man-db :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130
It works perfectly fine with man-db.
What's up with a tool for reading man pages that does not even support
their compression? Sounds unbelievable.