Old 01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default Moonlight in ArchLinux?

Daniel Isenmann schrieb:

Hi,

there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not adding
moonlight to the repo
(http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).

Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of view.

First thought: I don't care. I have never come across anything that
needs Silverlight/Moonlight.

Second thought: If I ever come across a site that needs it, I'd be happy
if it would be available with pacman -S moonlight.

Third thought: I still don't care, and I won't until I come across the
situation in my second thought.

So if you want to maintain it, do it. If not, then don't.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Geoffroy Carrier

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 19:47, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> First thought: I don't care. I have never come across anything that needs
> Silverlight/Moonlight.
>
> Second thought: If I ever come across a site that needs it, I'd be happy if
> it would be available with pacman -S moonlight.
>
> Third thought: I still don't care, and I won't until I come across the
> situation in my second thought.
>
> So if you want to maintain it, do it. If not, then don't.

+1

--
Geoffroy Carrier

Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:47:22 +0100
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:

> Daniel Isenmann schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not
> > adding moonlight to the repo
> > (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).
> >
> > Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of
> > view.
>
> First thought: I don't care. I have never come across anything that
> needs Silverlight/Moonlight.
>
> Second thought: If I ever come across a site that needs it, I'd be
> happy if it would be available with pacman -S moonlight.
>
> Third thought: I still don't care, and I won't until I come across
> the situation in my second thought.
>
> So if you want to maintain it, do it. If not, then don't.

In some way I don't care too. If you want to maintain then do it.

But I see no need to do this in our official extra repository. I
haven't come across one single website using it. So I see no reason for
an exception from our rules here. We should do what we do with all other
packages: put it into AUR and wait how important it will become. The
number of votes will be one point. An increasing number of websites
using it may be the other one.

-Andy

Old 01-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:47:22 +0100
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:
>
>> Daniel Isenmann schrieb:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not
>> > adding moonlight to the repo
>> > (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).
>> >
>> > Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of
>> > view.
>>
>> First thought: I don't care. I have never come across anything that
>> needs Silverlight/Moonlight.
>>
>> Second thought: If I ever come across a site that needs it, I'd be
>> happy if it would be available with pacman -S moonlight.
>>
>> Third thought: I still don't care, and I won't until I come across
>> the situation in my second thought.
>>
>> So if you want to maintain it, do it. If not, then don't.
>>

> In some way I don't care too. If you want to maintain then do it.
>
> But I see no need to do this in our official extra repository. I
> haven't come across one single website using it. So I see no reason for
> an exception from our rules here. We should do what we do with all other
> packages: put it into AUR and wait how important it will become. The
> number of votes will be one point. An increasing number of websites
> using it may be the other one.
>
> -Andy

I agree with Andy. We should keep it in AUR for a while to see if it's
popular enough to be in the extra repo. |Anyway, I'm sharing everyone
sentiment of not caring.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Aaron Griffin

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Daniel Isenmann schrieb:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not adding
>> moonlight to the repo
>>
>> (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).
>>
>> Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of view.
>
> First thought: I don't care. I have never come across anything that needs
> Silverlight/Moonlight.
>
> Second thought: If I ever come across a site that needs it, I'd be happy if
> it would be available with pacman -S moonlight.
>
> Third thought: I still don't care, and I won't until I come across the
> situation in my second thought.
>
> So if you want to maintain it, do it. If not, then don't.

This is my sentiment too. I've never needed Silver/Moon-light for
anything. I even used to use it for work at my last job, but I never
needed to visit those sites in Linux. That said: the recent US
Inauguration was broadcast with Silverlight, so it is seeing some use.

I will echo Thomas' point: I don't care, but if I need to care at some
point, pacman -S moonlight would be great.

+1 for inclusion as long as you have the desire to maintain it.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Allan McRae

Eric Bélanger wrote:

[...]

I think AUR is the place for it initially. Even if just to show that
six emails to arch-general does not get what you want...

Other than that, I am in a state of utter ambivalence.

Allan

Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Eduardo Romero

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:

> Daniel Isenmann schrieb:

>> Hi,

>> there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not adding

>> moonlight to the repo

>> (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).

>> Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of view.

> First thought: I don't care. I have never come across anything that needs

> Silverlight/Moonlight.

> Second thought: If I ever come across a site that needs it, I'd be happy if

> it would be available with pacman -S moonlight.

> Third thought: I still don't care, and I won't until I come across the

> situation in my second thought.

> So if you want to maintain it, do it. If not, then don't.

This is my sentiment too. I've never needed Silver/Moon-light for

anything. I even used to use it for work at my last job, but I never

needed to visit those sites in Linux. That said: the recent US

Inauguration was broadcast with Silverlight, so it is seeing some use.

I will echo Thomas' point: I don't care, but if I need to care at some

point, pacman -S moonlight would be great.

+1 for inclusion as long as you have the desire to maintain it.

I add ny +1 to this group.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Freitag 23 Januar 2009 19:08:09 schrieb Daniel Isenmann:
> If you want try moonlight, feel free to build it on your own from my
> submitted PKGBUILD in the AUR
> (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23384).

I am surprised that it does not require mono at runtime. I have tested it with
Firefox; but the demo linked at the silverlight page complains that I need to
enable moonlighjt 2 support.

Konqueror detects the plugin but it does just nothing. Annd Opera segfaults.
:-) Accoriding to their website only Firefox is supported. Its a shame that
all open source Flash alternatives (gnash, swfdec) only support Firefox.
Adobe's flash runs with every browser...

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76
53115 Bonn

Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre@jabber.archlinux.de
WWW http://www.archlinux.de

Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Daniel Isenmann

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:34:40 +0100
Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag 23 Januar 2009 19:08:09 schrieb Daniel Isenmann:
> > If you want try moonlight, feel free to build it on your own from my
> > submitted PKGBUILD in the AUR
> > (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23384).
>
> I am surprised that it does not require mono at runtime. I have
> tested it with Firefox; but the demo linked at the silverlight page
> complains that I need to enable moonlighjt 2 support.

Moonlight only supports Silverlight 1. Silverlight 2 will be supported
with the next version. Moonlight is completly written in C/C++ and
doesn't need mono. The next moonlight version with Silverlight 2 support
needs mono.

> Konqueror detects the plugin but it does just nothing. Annd Opera
> segfaults. :-) Accoriding to their website only Firefox is supported.
> Its a shame that all open source Flash alternatives (gnash, swfdec)
> only support Firefox. Adobe's flash runs with every browser...

I have only tested it with Firefox. Good to know that the other
browsers not really works with Moonlight.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Daniel Isenmann

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:08:09 +0100
Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not adding
> moonlight to the repo
> (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).
>
> Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of
> view.
>
> I want your opinion about that topic, should we add moonlight to the
> extra repo? And please don't give answers like: "What do we want with
> this Micr**** shit?". We have closed source software like flashplayer
> in our repos, so why not add an open source product which do nearly
> the same (not seen as compatible to flash, instead nearly same
> technology, etc.).
>
> I would maintain it, because it belongs to mono (more or less).
>

> Some information about moonlight:
> ---------------------------------
> The project page is here: http://mono-project.com/Moonlight
>
> The license shouldn't be a problem, it's distributed under open source
> licenses. More information on the project page or here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMonoGroup/Moonlight (which are the
> information of the debian mono group).
>
> If you want try moonlight, feel free to build it on your own from my
> submitted PKGBUILD in the AUR
> (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23384).
>
> If you need some webpages to test moonlight:
> http://go-mono.com/moonlight/MoonlightStatus.aspx
>

> Cheers,
> Daniel

Small update on the further processing. At the moment the plugin get 11
votes in the AUR. I plan to let it stay in AUR unless it get a little
popular and maybe more votes. So, if the number of webpages which uses
silverlight/moonlight increase a lot, I will push it to the extra
repo. Until then it will stay in AUR.

Cheers,
Daniel