Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Daniel Isenmann

Default Moonlight in ArchLinux?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:34:14 +0100
Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:08:09 +0100
> Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not
> > adding moonlight to the repo
> > (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).
> >
> > Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of
> > view.
> >
> > I want your opinion about that topic, should we add moonlight to the
> > extra repo? And please don't give answers like: "What do we want
> > with this Micr**** shit?". We have closed source software like
> > flashplayer in our repos, so why not add an open source product
> > which do nearly the same (not seen as compatible to flash, instead
> > nearly same technology, etc.).
> >
> > I would maintain it, because it belongs to mono (more or less).
> >

> > Some information about moonlight:
> > ---------------------------------
> > The project page is here: http://mono-project.com/Moonlight
> >
> > The license shouldn't be a problem, it's distributed under open
> > source licenses. More information on the project page or here:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMonoGroup/Moonlight (which are
> > the information of the debian mono group).
> >
> > If you want try moonlight, feel free to build it on your own from my
> > submitted PKGBUILD in the AUR
> > (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23384).
> >
> > If you need some webpages to test moonlight:
> > http://go-mono.com/moonlight/MoonlightStatus.aspx
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
>
> Small update on the further processing. At the moment the plugin get
> 11 votes in the AUR. I plan to let it stay in AUR unless it get a
> little popular and maybe more votes. So, if the number of webpages
> which uses silverlight/moonlight increase a lot, I will push it to
> the extra repo. Until then it will stay in AUR.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Next update to moonlight in ArchLinux:
It will be moved to [community]. It has reached at the moment 31 votes
and Timm Preetz (aka gummibaerchen) is taking care of it in the
community repo. So, you will be able to do a "pacman -S
moonlight" to install it, if you need it.

Cheers,
Daniel

Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Eduardo Romero

On Sunday 15 February 2009 07:08:46 am Daniel Isenmann wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:34:14 +0100
>
> Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:08:09 +0100
> >
> > Daniel Isenmann <daniel.isenmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not
> > > adding moonlight to the repo
> > > (http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-
January/003326.ht
> > >ml).
> > >
> > > Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of
> > > view.
> > >
> > > I want your opinion about that topic, should we add moonlight to the
> > > extra repo? And please don't give answers like: "What do we want
> > > with this Micr**** shit?". We have closed source software like
> > > flashplayer in our repos, so why not add an open source product
> > > which do nearly the same (not seen as compatible to flash, instead
> > > nearly same technology, etc.).
> > >
> > > I would maintain it, because it belongs to mono (more or less).
> > >

> > > Some information about moonlight:
> > > ---------------------------------
> > > The project page is here: http://mono-project.com/Moonlight
> > >
> > > The license shouldn't be a problem, it's distributed under open
> > > source licenses. More information on the project page or here:
> > > http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMonoGroup/Moonlight (which are
> > > the information of the debian mono group).
> > >
> > > If you want try moonlight, feel free to build it on your own from my
> > > submitted PKGBUILD in the AUR
> > > (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23384).
> > >
> > > If you need some webpages to test moonlight:
> > > http://go-mono.com/moonlight/MoonlightStatus.aspx
> > >

> > > Cheers,
> > > Daniel
> >
> > Small update on the further processing. At the moment the plugin get
> > 11 votes in the AUR. I plan to let it stay in AUR unless it get a
> > little popular and maybe more votes. So, if the number of webpages
> > which uses silverlight/moonlight increase a lot, I will push it to
> > the extra repo. Until then it will stay in AUR.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
>
> Next update to moonlight in ArchLinux:
> It will be moved to [community]. It has reached at the moment 31 votes
> and Timm Preetz (aka gummibaerchen) is taking care of it in the
> community repo. So, you will be able to do a "pacman -S
> moonlight" to install it, if you need it.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
Since, I commented about this, I am now more eager to test this out, since
it has hit 1.0 versions. So thanks for working on this Daniel.