Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Daniel Isenmann

Default Moonlight in ArchLinux?

Hi,

there were a discussion on the arch-general list about why not adding
moonlight to the repo
(http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2009-January/003326.html).

Now I want to discuss this topic further from a developer point of view.

I want your opinion about that topic, should we add moonlight to the
extra repo? And please don't give answers like: "What do we want with
this Micr**** shit?". We have closed source software like flashplayer
in our repos, so why not add an open source product which do nearly
the same (not seen as compatible to flash, instead nearly same
technology, etc.).

I would maintain it, because it belongs to mono (more or less).

Some information about moonlight:
---------------------------------
The project page is here: http://mono-project.com/Moonlight

The license shouldn't be a problem, it's distributed under open source
licenses. More information on the project page or here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMonoGroup/Moonlight (which are the
information of the debian mono group).

If you want try moonlight, feel free to build it on your own from my
submitted PKGBUILD in the AUR
(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23384).

If you need some webpages to test moonlight:
http://go-mono.com/moonlight/MoonlightStatus.aspx

Cheers,
Daniel

Old 01-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Hugo Doria

If you have time and desire to maintain the package, why not add it?

In my point of view the big problem here was find a maintainer.

-- Hugo