Old 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.conf

On Dec 21, 2007 3:00 AM, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa@solnet.ch> wrote:
> hi devs,
>
> i just got surprised by this post-install message:
>
> (2/2) installing ndiswrapper
> [##################################################] 100%
> adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.conf ...
>
> on what logic is ndiswrapper adding wlan0 to be ndiswrapper? this
> should not be. you cannot assume that the user wants wlan0 to be a
> ndiswrapper device. it may (as in my case) be wlan1 because wlan1 is
> the internal wireless device (intel 4965). let the user configure
> things like this by himself, no?

File a bug report?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Damir Perisa

Friday 21 December 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
| On Dec 21, 2007 3:00 AM, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa@solnet.ch>
wrote:
| > hi devs,
| >
| > i just got surprised by this post-install message:
| >
| > (2/2) installing ndiswrapper
| > [##################################################] 100%
| > adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.conf ...
| >
| > on what logic is ndiswrapper adding wlan0 to be ndiswrapper?
| > this should not be. you cannot assume that the user wants wlan0
| > to be a ndiswrapper device. it may (as in my case) be wlan1
| > because wlan1 is the internal wireless device (intel 4965). let
| > the user configure things like this by himself, no?
|
| File a bug report?

i'm not using ndiswrapper myself, just had to try it once. i'm not
sure enough if this should not be like this to file a bug. rather i
wanted to hear from other devs who do use it if this is normal
(wanted) behaviour. i think it isn't.

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Old 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Dec 21, 2007 10:37 AM, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa@solnet.ch> wrote:
> i'm not using ndiswrapper myself, just had to try it once. i'm not
> sure enough if this should not be like this to file a bug. rather i
> wanted to hear from other devs who do use it if this is normal
> (wanted) behaviour. i think it isn't.

I use it, and it's normal. It's actually done by /usr/bin/ndiswrapper.
It adds the alias directive there once. If you modify it, or do
nothing, the exact same command will return with a "already contains
alias directive" line, or something of the sort.

So change it to wlan1 and then reinstall, it should not be overwritten.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Damir Perisa

Friday 21 December 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
| On Dec 21, 2007 10:37 AM, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa@solnet.ch>
wrote:
| > i'm not using ndiswrapper myself, just had to try it once. i'm
| > not sure enough if this should not be like this to file a bug.
| > rather i wanted to hear from other devs who do use it if this is
| > normal (wanted) behaviour. i think it isn't.
|
| I use it, and it's normal. It's actually done by
| /usr/bin/ndiswrapper. It adds the alias directive there once. If
| you modify it, or do nothing, the exact same command will return
| with a "already contains alias directive" line, or something of
| the sort.
|
| So change it to wlan1 and then reinstall, it should not be
| overwritten.

ah ok! so its not a bug but desired behaviour. good to know. thanx

- D

--

><((((>

<)))><