-   -   Non-X monitor shutdown? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/19662-non-x-monitor-shutdown.html)

"Aaron Griffin" 12-14-2007 04:46 PM

Non-X monitor shutdown?

Another message from the "when did this stop working?" camp:

I've had the following in my /etc/rc.local for a while:
setterm -blank 10
setterm -powersave powerdown
setterm -powerdown 15

Now what this does is put the monitor into the black-but-still-glowing
mode after 10 minutes, then shut it off after 15.

I have no idea when, why, or how, but it stopped working.
I use this on 2 machines that don't run X, so using 'xset' is not an
option, but I *think* xset works fine.

Does anyone else know much about this? The internet is fairly silent
on the topic

"Varun Acharya" 12-15-2007 07:50 AM

Non-X monitor shutdown?

Another message from the "when did this stop working?" camp:

I've had the following in my /etc/rc.local for a while:
* setterm -blank 10
* setterm -powersave powerdown
* setterm -powerdown 15

Now what this does is put the monitor into the black-but-still-glowing
mode after 10 minutes, then shut it off after 15.

I have no idea when, why, or how, but it stopped working.
I use this on 2 machines that don't run X, so using 'xset' is not an

option, but I *think* xset works fine.

Does anyone else know much about this? The internet is fairly silent
on the topic*I've noticed DPMS to be a bit effed too for the past 4 days. I have DPMS "off" in every possible place in
xorg.conf (I can never remember if its "device" "monitor" "screen" or whatever else), and I've also set "xset -dpms". In spite of all this, DPMS is still active, and its really pissing off when watching a movie.

Varun

Damir Perisa 12-15-2007 12:15 PM

Non-X monitor shutdown?

Saturday 15 December 2007, Varun Acharya wrote:
| I've noticed DPMS to be a bit effed too for the past 4 days. I
| have DPMS "off" in every possible place in xorg.conf (I can never
| remember if its "device" "monitor" "screen" or whatever else), and
| I've also set "xset -dpms". In spite of all this, DPMS is still
| active, and its really pissing off when watching a movie.

if you disable dpms, you have to disable screensaver blanking too, if
you want to watch a movie.

i'm running the following before watching movies or doing
presentations:

xset -dpms
xset s off

once finished presenting, the following restores settings:

xset dpms 0 0 600
xset s 300

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Damir Perisa 12-15-2007 12:43 PM

Non-X monitor shutdown?

Friday 14 December 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
| I've had the following in my /etc/rc.local for a while:
| * *setterm -blank 10
| * *setterm -powersave powerdown
| * *setterm -powerdown 15
|
| Now what this does is put the monitor into the
| black-but-still-glowing mode after 10 minutes, then shut it off
| after 15.
|
| I have no idea when, why, or how, but it stopped working.
| I use this on 2 machines that don't run X, so using 'xset' is not
| an option, but I *think* xset works fine.

i'm using only setterm -powerdown 5 and it works fine (x86_64).

maybe it depends on the hardware? i will see if it still works on i686
and report back. maybe its arch specific break.

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

"Jeff Mickey" 12-15-2007 08:25 PM

Non-X monitor shutdown?

These commands are all working fine for me. I haven't tried the
setterm stuff, but xset is working here fine on my laptop.

// jeff
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .