-   -   remove netcfg from initscripts (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/17781-remove-netcfg-initscripts.html)

"Aaron Griffin" 12-12-2007 04:28 AM

On Nov 9, 2007 8:38 PM, James Rayner <iphitus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, November 10, 2007 12:29, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> >>
> >> missed something in rc.conf, use this patch instead.
> >> http://src.iphitus.org/netcfg-release/initscripts-netcfg2-2.diff
> >
> > Would it be possible to get this in git-format-patch syntax? This way
> > we maintain your authorship and description of the diff in one nice
> > little package.
> >
> > I can apply it as is, if that's a problem - but git-format-patch is
> > soo much cooler. Take a look at Dan's "pacman workflow" on
> > toofishes.net if you want a rundown.
>
> done.
> http://src.iphitus.org/netcfg-release/0001-Removing-netcfg-from-initscripts.patch
>
> I think it might be better to depends rather than merge. It'd probably be
> easer to maintain them separately.

I'm way behind here. This is merged on my local working branch
(code.phraktured.net). I'm going to pull in a few more initscripts
patches, then push to master and release a new package.

That package will depend on netcfg

Cheers,
Aaron

"James Rayner" 12-12-2007 12:46 PM

On Wed, December 12, 2007 16:28, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 8:38 PM, James Rayner <iphitus@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Would it be possible to get this in git-format-patch syntax? This way
>> > we maintain your authorship and description of the diff in one nice
>> > little package.
>> >
>> > I can apply it as is, if that's a problem - but git-format-patch is
>> > soo much cooler. Take a look at Dan's "pacman workflow" on
>> > toofishes.net if you want a rundown.
>>
>> done.
>> http://src.iphitus.org/netcfg-release/0001-Removing-netcfg-from-initscripts.patch
>>
>> I think it might be better to depends rather than merge. It'd probably
>> be
>> easer to maintain them separately.
>
> I'm way behind here. This is merged on my local working branch
> (code.phraktured.net). I'm going to pull in a few more initscripts
> patches, then push to master and release a new package.
>
> That package will depend on netcfg

one kinda catch I just realised. netcfg2 depends on wireless_tools,
wpa_supplicant -- so effectively that'd be making them a dep of
initscripts. Some won't like that.

"Roman Kyrylych" 12-12-2007 12:56 PM

2007/12/12, James Rayner <iphitus@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, December 12, 2007 16:28, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> >> done.
> >> http://src.iphitus.org/netcfg-release/0001-Removing-netcfg-from-initscripts.patch
> >>
> >> I think it might be better to depends rather than merge. It'd probably
> >> be
> >> easer to maintain them separately.
> >
> > I'm way behind here. This is merged on my local working branch
> > (code.phraktured.net). I'm going to pull in a few more initscripts
> > patches, then push to master and release a new package.
> >
> > That package will depend on netcfg
>
> one kinda catch I just realised. netcfg2 depends on wireless_tools,
> wpa_supplicant -- so effectively that'd be making them a dep of
> initscripts. Some won't like that.

I definetely won't like that.
Can't we script our rc.sysinit so it won't call netcfg2 if it's not found?
And make it optional dependency of initscripts.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

"Aaron Griffin" 12-12-2007 03:06 PM

On Dec 12, 2007 7:56 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> I definetely won't like that.
> Can't we script our rc.sysinit so it won't call netcfg2 if it's not found?
> And make it optional dependency of initscripts.

I'm fine with an optional dep - how about we throw a comment above
'NETWORKS' and have rc.sysinit throw a warning it NETWORKS is defined
but /etc/rc.d/netcfg isn't found?

"Roman Kyrylych" 12-12-2007 03:16 PM

2007/12/12, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> On Dec 12, 2007 7:56 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I definetely won't like that.
> > Can't we script our rc.sysinit so it won't call netcfg2 if it's not found?
> > And make it optional dependency of initscripts.
>
> I'm fine with an optional dep - how about we throw a comment above
> 'NETWORKS' and have rc.sysinit throw a warning it NETWORKS is defined
> but /etc/rc.d/netcfg isn't found?

that would be great

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

"James Rayner" 12-12-2007 11:38 PM

On Thu, December 13, 2007 03:16, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2007/12/12, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
>> On Dec 12, 2007 7:56 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I definetely won't like that.
>> > Can't we script our rc.sysinit so it won't call netcfg2 if it's not
>> found?
>> > And make it optional dependency of initscripts.
>>
>> I'm fine with an optional dep - how about we throw a comment above
>> 'NETWORKS' and have rc.sysinit throw a warning it NETWORKS is defined
>> but /etc/rc.d/netcfg isn't found?
>
> that would be great

nothing in the initscripts themselves actually references or touches
netcfg2 -- it's entirely seperate now.

The reason for the depends was originally... this is a "breaking" change.
People upgrade initscripts, and they no longer have any wireless scripts.
Though it's a breaking change either way -- the configs are not backwards
compatible.

Further, should I entirely remove /etc/conf.d/wireless too, or just
rewrite it to be 'compatible' with netcfg2? I don't want to support it in
it's present state.

James

"Aaron Griffin" 12-12-2007 11:42 PM

On Dec 12, 2007 6:38 PM, James Rayner <iphitus@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason for the depends was originally... this is a "breaking" change.
> People upgrade initscripts, and they no longer have any wireless scripts.
> Though it's a breaking change either way -- the configs are not backwards
> compatible.
>
> Further, should I entirely remove /etc/conf.d/wireless too, or just
> rewrite it to be 'compatible' with netcfg2? I don't want to support it in
> it's present state.

I say remove it. If it's in the backup array, pacman will overwrite it.

Would you mind providing me some text for the initscripts package
install file regarding the new netcfg changes? Just some "make sure to
X and Y and install netcfg"