Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 AM
"Giovanni Scafora"

Default Package Colours - better visual information

2008/9/28, Jud <jud@judfilm.net>:
> I had an idea to improve the information provided to the user and
> indicate a clearer picture of the status of a Package via the website.
>
> Package Colours - 6 Major states of a Package
> Black - latest version, all ok
>
> Blue - latest version, bug report(s) outstanding
>
> Red - out-of-date
>
> Yellow - out-of-date, new package in Testing
>
> Orange - out-of-date, new package in Testing, bug report(s) outstanding
>
> Purple/Magenta - out-of-date, bug report(s) outstanding

It would be a good idea.
+1

--
Arch Linux Developer (voidnull)
AUR & Pacman Italian Translations

Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Giovanni Scafora <linuxmania@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/28, Jud <jud@judfilm.net>:
>> I had an idea to improve the information provided to the user and
>> indicate a clearer picture of the status of a Package via the website.
>>
>> Package Colours - 6 Major states of a Package
>> Black - latest version, all ok
>>
>> Blue - latest version, bug report(s) outstanding
>>
>> Red - out-of-date
>>
>> Yellow - out-of-date, new package in Testing
>>
>> Orange - out-of-date, new package in Testing, bug report(s) outstanding
>>
>> Purple/Magenta - out-of-date, bug report(s) outstanding
>
> It would be a good idea.
> +1

It's a nice idea, but the "outstanding bugs" part would be difficult
for us, as Flyspray is not integrated into the system...
I'm sure we could do the "outdated, new package in testing" part
though. Dusty? Would this be a lot of work?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 PM
"Dusty Phillips"

2008/9/29 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Giovanni Scafora <linuxmania@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/9/28, Jud <jud@judfilm.net>:
>>> I had an idea to improve the information provided to the user and
>>> indicate a clearer picture of the status of a Package via the website.
>>>
>>> Package Colours - 6 Major states of a Package
>>> Black - latest version, all ok
>>>
>>> Blue - latest version, bug report(s) outstanding
>>>
>>> Red - out-of-date
>>>
>>> Yellow - out-of-date, new package in Testing
>>>
>>> Orange - out-of-date, new package in Testing, bug report(s) outstanding
>>>
>>> Purple/Magenta - out-of-date, bug report(s) outstanding
>>
>> It would be a good idea.
>> +1
>
> It's a nice idea, but the "outstanding bugs" part would be difficult
> for us, as Flyspray is not integrated into the system...
> I'm sure we could do the "outdated, new package in testing" part
> though. Dusty? Would this be a lot of work?

Excepting the flyspray integration it shouldn't be too much work to do
it hackishly, but to do it properly would be a bit of a chore.
Currently there isn't much of a connection between packages in core
and packages in testing, since testing is just another repo. My head
keeps bouncing around ideas for redesigning the web package models to
support more of a 'workflow' style that would support this and some of
Jud's other ideas more intuitively, but right now I need to find some
way to get the time for this.

I'm also getting fired up about creating a new bug tracker that
integrates with the package system that would make some of this other
stuff more trivial. I don't much like flyspray and this would be a
good start for some of my other plans. But again, I need to rearrange
my life so I can take more time for these things first.

In the meantime, Jud, can you file a bug report for this so I don't
forget it. My memory is getting shorter and shorter these days.

Dusty

Old 09-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Jud

> 2008/9/29 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Giovanni Scafora <linuxmania at
> > gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It would be a good idea.
> >> +1
> >
> > It's a nice idea, but the "outstanding bugs" part would be difficult
> > for us, as Flyspray is not integrated into the system...
> > I'm sure we could do the "outdated, new package in testing" part
> > though. Dusty? Would this be a lot of work?
>
> Excepting the flyspray integration it shouldn't be too much work to do
> it hackishly, but to do it properly would be a bit of a chore.
> Currently there isn't much of a connection between packages in core
> and packages in testing, since testing is just another repo. My head
> keeps bouncing around ideas for redesigning the web package models to
> support more of a 'workflow' style that would support this and some of
> Jud's other ideas more intuitively, but right now I need to find some
> way to get the time for this.
>
> I'm also getting fired up about creating a new bug tracker that
> integrates with the package system that would make some of this other
> stuff more trivial. I don't much like flyspray and this would be a
> good start for some of my other plans. But again, I need to rearrange
> my life so I can take more time for these things first.
>
> In the meantime, Jud, can you file a bug report for this so I don't
> forget it. My memory is getting shorter and shorter these days.
>
> Dusty

This part was cut off all the replies:
"
I'm not picky about the colours as long as it seems logical.

Also, I have filed this as a feature request:
FS#11604 - http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11604
"

@ Dusty - What can "we" do to help you get this organised?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
"Dusty Phillips"

2008/9/29 Jud <jud@judfilm.net>:
>> 2008/9/29 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

>> > It's a nice idea, but the "outstanding bugs" part would be difficult
>> > for us, as Flyspray is not integrated into the system...
>> > I'm sure we could do the "outdated, new package in testing" part
>> > though. Dusty? Would this be a lot of work?
>>
>> Excepting the flyspray integration it shouldn't be too much work to do
>> it hackishly, but to do it properly would be a bit of a chore.
>> Currently there isn't much of a connection between packages in core
>> and packages in testing, since testing is just another repo. My head
>> keeps bouncing around ideas for redesigning the web package models to
>> support more of a 'workflow' style that would support this and some of
>> Jud's other ideas more intuitively, but right now I need to find some
>> way to get the time for this.
>>
>> I'm also getting fired up about creating a new bug tracker that
>> integrates with the package system that would make some of this other
>> stuff more trivial. I don't much like flyspray and this would be a
>> good start for some of my other plans. But again, I need to rearrange
>> my life so I can take more time for these things first.
>>
>> In the meantime, Jud, can you file a bug report for this so I don't
>> forget it. My memory is getting shorter and shorter these days.
>>
>> Dusty
>
> This part was cut off all the replies:
> "
> I'm not picky about the colours as long as it seems logical.
>
> Also, I have filed this as a feature request:
> FS#11604 - http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11604
> "

oops, I knew that. See the short memory reference. =)

> @ Dusty - What can "we" do to help you get this organised?

Pay me a salary. :-D

As always, patches are welcome, but I don't even have time to
integrate them right now. In a couple days I'll be taking some time to
knock of some of the 'simple' requests I've let pile up (I've been on
vacation). That will include this one and a few new mirror requests. I
also need to either finish porting archweb to django 1.0 or starting a
new design as discussed above.

Dusty