-   -   add -g option for cp and mv (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/167447-add-g-option-cp-mv.html)

"Andrea Scarpino" 09-28-2008 01:51 AM

add -g option for cp and mv

Hi DEVs,
I saw '-g' option in copy and move commands in Gentoo.
I want to request the same feauture for own coreutils package.
I updated the gentoo patch [1] for coreutils 6.12, then I added the
patch to PKGBUILD and it works.

-g option add a progress bar like as wget style when copy or move files.

$ cp -g iso/CoD_CD1.iso ~/Desktop/
CoD_CD1.iso
| 33% | 656 MiB | 28
MiB/s | ETA 00:00.15

What do you think about?

PS. I opened a FR [2] in bugs some minutes ago. You can get PKGBUILD and patch.

Regards

- [1] http://svn.pardus.org.tr/viewcvs/stable/pardus-1/system/base/coreutils/files/coreutils-gen-progress-bar.patch?revision=7276&root=pardus&view=markup&pa threv=7276
- [2] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11603

--
Andrea `BaSh` Scarpino
Arch Linux Trusted User

"Roman Kyrylych" 09-28-2008 12:22 PM

add -g option for cp and mv

2008/9/28 Andrea Scarpino <bash.lnx@gmail.com>:
> Hi DEVs,
> I saw '-g' option in copy and move commands in Gentoo.
> I want to request the same feauture for own coreutils package.
> I updated the gentoo patch [1] for coreutils 6.12, then I added the
> patch to PKGBUILD and it works.
>
> -g option add a progress bar like as wget style when copy or move files.
>
> $ cp -g iso/CoD_CD1.iso ~/Desktop/
> CoD_CD1.iso
> | 33% | 656 MiB | 28
> MiB/s | ETA 00:00.15
>
> What do you think about?
>
> PS. I opened a FR [2] in bugs some minutes ago. You can get PKGBUILD and patch.
>
> Regards
>
> - [1] http://svn.pardus.org.tr/viewcvs/stable/pardus-1/system/base/coreutils/files/coreutils-gen-progress-bar.patch?revision=7276&root=pardus&view=markup&pa threv=7276
> - [2] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11603

You risk to be flamed. ;-)
I doubt most devs will agree about this due to
"stay as close to vanilla as possible, with bugfixes only" policy.
This patch is just an extra feature, not merged by upstream.
And there are more generic ways to add progressbars to console utils.
For example:
bar - http://www.theiling.de/projects/bar.html
pv - http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml
both are in community, and I saw 2 or 3 other similar utils somewhere
on the web.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

"Dan McGee" 09-28-2008 01:03 PM

add -g option for cp and mv

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Roman Kyrylych
<roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/28 Andrea Scarpino <bash.lnx@gmail.com>:
>> Hi DEVs,
>> I saw '-g' option in copy and move commands in Gentoo.
>> I want to request the same feauture for own coreutils package.
>> I updated the gentoo patch [1] for coreutils 6.12, then I added the
>> patch to PKGBUILD and it works.
>>
>> -g option add a progress bar like as wget style when copy or move files.
>>
>> $ cp -g iso/CoD_CD1.iso ~/Desktop/
>> CoD_CD1.iso
>> | 33% | 656 MiB | 28
>> MiB/s | ETA 00:00.15
>>
>> What do you think about?
>>
>> PS. I opened a FR [2] in bugs some minutes ago. You can get PKGBUILD and patch.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> - [1] http://svn.pardus.org.tr/viewcvs/stable/pardus-1/system/base/coreutils/files/coreutils-gen-progress-bar.patch?revision=7276&root=pardus&view=markup&pa threv=7276
>> - [2] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11603
>
> You risk to be flamed. ;-)
> I doubt most devs will agree about this due to
> "stay as close to vanilla as possible, with bugfixes only" policy.
> This patch is just an extra feature, not merged by upstream.
> And there are more generic ways to add progressbars to console utils.
> For example:
> bar - http://www.theiling.de/projects/bar.html
> pv - http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml
> both are in community, and I saw 2 or 3 other similar utils somewhere
> on the web.

Same thought here. No need to patch coreutils from our end, this is
upstream's job.

-Dan

"Andrea Scarpino" 09-28-2008 01:08 PM

add -g option for cp and mv

2008/9/28 Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com>:
> You risk to be flamed. ;-)
I know, I know :P
> I doubt most devs will agree about this due to
> "stay as close to vanilla as possible, with bugfixes only" policy.
> This patch is just an extra feature, not merged by upstream.
> And there are more generic ways to add progressbars to console utils.
> For example:
> bar - http://www.theiling.de/projects/bar.html
> pv - http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml
> both are in community, and I saw 2 or 3 other similar utils somewhere
> on the web.
I didn't know they. I'll try them, thanks.

btw, I looked comments in the bug report.
Daenyth have persuaded me to keep the patch out from arch with these words:

"Let's keep things minimal, I'm pretty sure the stated policy is to
only patch when a major feature is broken, or if it needs patches to
work with arch, and not to add new features"

Thanks for your time

Cheers

--
Andrea `BaSh` Scarpino
Arch Linux Trusted User

Tobias Powalowski 09-28-2008 01:24 PM

add -g option for cp and mv

Am Sonntag 28 September 2008 schrieb Dan McGee:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Roman Kyrylych
>
> <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/9/28 Andrea Scarpino <bash.lnx@gmail.com>:
> >> Hi DEVs,
> >> I saw '-g' option in copy and move commands in Gentoo.
> >> I want to request the same feauture for own coreutils package.
> >> I updated the gentoo patch [1] for coreutils 6.12, then I added the
> >> patch to PKGBUILD and it works.
> >>
> >> -g option add a progress bar like as wget style when copy or move files.
> >>
> >> $ cp -g iso/CoD_CD1.iso ~/Desktop/
> >> CoD_CD1.iso

> >> MiB/s | ETA 00:00.15
> >>
> >> What do you think about?
> >>
> >> PS. I opened a FR [2] in bugs some minutes ago. You can get PKGBUILD and
> >> patch.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> - [1]
> >> http://svn.pardus.org.tr/viewcvs/stable/pardus-1/system/base/coreutils/f
> >>iles/coreutils-gen-progress-bar.patch?revision=7276&root=pardus&view=mark
> >>up&pathrev=7276 - [2] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11603
> >
> > You risk to be flamed. ;-)
> > I doubt most devs will agree about this due to
> > "stay as close to vanilla as possible, with bugfixes only" policy.
> > This patch is just an extra feature, not merged by upstream.
> > And there are more generic ways to add progressbars to console utils.
> > For example:
> > bar - http://www.theiling.de/projects/bar.html
> > pv - http://www.ivarch.com/programs/pv.shtml
> > both are in community, and I saw 2 or 3 other similar utils somewhere
> > on the web.
>
> Same thought here. No need to patch coreutils from our end, this is
> upstream's job.
>
> -Dan
Introducing such things, might hold us in updating if upstream and patch
doesn't fit together anymore.
-1 from my side

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

"Giovanni Scafora" 09-28-2008 01:50 PM

add -g option for cp and mv

2008/9/28, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de>:
> Introducing such things, might hold us in updating if upstream and patch
> doesn't fit together anymore.
> -1 from my side

-1 from my side too.

--
Arch Linux Developer (voidnull)
AUR & Pacman Italian Translations

Xavier 09-28-2008 02:29 PM

add -g option for cp and mv

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Andrea Scarpino <bash.lnx@gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't know they. I'll try them, thanks.
>
> btw, I looked comments in the bug report.
> Daenyth have persuaded me to keep the patch out from arch with these words:
>
> "Let's keep things minimal, I'm pretty sure the stated policy is to
> only patch when a major feature is broken, or if it needs patches to
> work with arch, and not to add new features"

The official coreutils should not be patched, but that does not
prevent you from creating an unofficial patched package.
It might be even better be to just build patched cp and mv versions
and install them as a different names to avoid conflicts.

But otherwise, if the generic ways mentioned by Roman work fine, then
this -g option looks pointless.