Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Alexander Duscheleit

Default Boost

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 06:56:48 -0400
Loui Chang <louipc.ist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri 18 Jun 2010 11:52 +0200, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> > >>>

> > What's the issue here though? We have a working split package and
> > everyone is happy? Bjam is a crappy build system but until CMake is
> > more actively maintained by Boost (last boost-cmake release was
> > 1.41) it'll have to do. Boost is an important part of C++
> > development, it should not go without update in Arch.
>
> Wow, this is kind of depressing. Why would some package in community
> block an established library from being upgraded in extra?

In this special case, because it caused data loss of probably very
important files (hence encrypted) _without_ prior warning.

But there seems to be a trend starting in this direction which worries
me a little. IIRC there is nothing holding back Xorg 1.8 except for
legacy nvidia drivers, and that for quite a while. If that is true,
it's even more depressing for me, since nobody waited for us poor ATI
R500 users when catalyst dropped support.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Jan de Groot

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 23:56 +0200, Alexander Duscheleit wrote:

> But there seems to be a trend starting in this direction which worries
> me a little. IIRC there is nothing holding back Xorg 1.8 except for
> legacy nvidia drivers, and that for quite a while. If that is true,
> it's even more depressing for me, since nobody waited for us poor ATI
> R500 users when catalyst dropped support.

Which is not true...
The reason for dropping catalyst is that they only release drivers when
Ubuntu does a release. if Ubuntu doesn't ship a version of xorg-server,
no driver will be made.
The reason for holding back xorg-server 1.8 in testing was because of
bugs and crashes. Until a week or two ago when I did the latest changes
to the Intel driver, I couldn't get OpenGL on intel stable for more than
30 seconds. Also, the kernel contais massive changes for AMD and Intel
drivers, so we basically needed the new kernel that was also in testing.