-   -   Request to add klibc-915resolution to extra (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/162412-request-add-klibc-915resolution-extra.html)

Thomas Bächler 09-18-2008 05:55 PM

Request to add klibc-915resolution to extra

I'd like to add a klibc version of 915resolution to extra. 915resolution
is unnecessary for Xorg these days, it is however useful when compiled
with klibc if you want to use uvesafb for widescreen framebuffer. Any
objections?

Jan de Groot 09-18-2008 09:08 PM

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 19:55 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> I'd like to add a klibc version of 915resolution to extra. 915resolution
> is unnecessary for Xorg these days, it is however useful when compiled
> with klibc if you want to use uvesafb for widescreen framebuffer. Any
> objections?

As long as it's an optional hook it's fine to me.
Can you add a klibc compiled version to the regular 915resolution
package instead of having a 915resolution-klibc?

Thomas Bächler 09-19-2008 07:41 AM

Jan de Groot schrieb:

I'd like to add a klibc version of 915resolution to extra. 915resolution
is unnecessary for Xorg these days, it is however useful when compiled
with klibc if you want to use uvesafb for widescreen framebuffer. Any
objections?

As long as it's an optional hook it's fine to me.

All hooks are optional!

Can you add a klibc compiled version to the regular 915resolution
package instead of having a 915resolution-klibc?

I'd have to move that in from community, as I have to keep it in sync
with klibc all the time. However, I don't see a point in having
915resolution around except for klibc, as the only use nowadays is
adjusting the resolutions for uvesafb - nobody uses the old i810 xorg
driver anymore. If you insist I'll talk to voidnull about moving his
community packages to extra.

Jan de Groot 09-19-2008 07:46 AM

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 09:41 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Jan de Groot schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 19:55 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> >> I'd like to add a klibc version of 915resolution to extra. 915resolution
> >> is unnecessary for Xorg these days, it is however useful when compiled
> >> with klibc if you want to use uvesafb for widescreen framebuffer. Any
> >> objections?
> >
> > As long as it's an optional hook it's fine to me.
>
> All hooks are optional!
>
> > Can you add a klibc compiled version to the regular 915resolution
> > package instead of having a 915resolution-klibc?
>
> I'd have to move that in from community, as I have to keep it in sync
> with klibc all the time. However, I don't see a point in having
> 915resolution around except for klibc, as the only use nowadays is
> adjusting the resolutions for uvesafb - nobody uses the old i810 xorg
> driver anymore. If you insist I'll talk to voidnull about moving his
> community packages to extra.

There's a large group with older hardware that still uses the i810
driver, but remember i810 is completely broken with xorg-server 1.5, so
we shouldn't care about it anymore.