Old 09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Andreas Radke

Default handling info files

Now that we decided that we want to ship info documentation we
should decide how to package such files: info files could be gzipped by
makepkg or stay uncompressed.

On my system they already take quiet a lot of space compared to much
more packages shipping man-pages:

[root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -ch /usr/share/info/
21M /usr/share/info/
[root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -sch /usr/share/man
61M /usr/share/man

Some are really big like gcc.info being 1.8mb uncompressed. I vote for
auto-gzipping the info pages like man-pages.

And shouldn't we check and remove the $pkgdir/usr/share/info/dir
file that every pkg with info files produces?

Maybe we can also print at the end of the makepkg run an array of
found info files the packager should put into the *.install file. Right
now we use the proto-info.install shipped with the "abs" pkg. An
automated solution would be also nice for that.

Opinions?

-Andy

Old 09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Now that we decided that we want to ship info documentation we
> should decide how to package such files: info files could be gzipped by
> makepkg or stay uncompressed.
>
> On my system they already take quiet a lot of space compared to much
> more packages shipping man-pages:
>
> [root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -ch /usr/share/info/
> 21M /usr/share/info/
> [root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -sch /usr/share/man
> 61M /usr/share/man
>
> Some are really big like gcc.info being 1.8mb uncompressed. I vote for
> auto-gzipping the info pages like man-pages.
>
> And shouldn't we check and remove the $pkgdir/usr/share/info/dir
> file that every pkg with info files produces?
>
> Maybe we can also print at the end of the makepkg run an array of
> found info files the packager should put into the *.install file. Right
> now we use the proto-info.install shipped with the "abs" pkg. An
> automated solution would be also nice for that.
>
> Opinions?

Hmm, I've been thinking about this too, but I was hoping to avoid
special-case code for some of this. But maybe we should, at least,
automate the removal of the dir file...
With regard to printing info files, that seems easy enough with
something like "tar tzf <pkgfile> | grep info"

Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Xavier

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Now that we decided that we want to ship info documentation we
> should decide how to package such files: info files could be gzipped by
> makepkg or stay uncompressed.
>
> On my system they already take quiet a lot of space compared to much
> more packages shipping man-pages:
>
> [root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -ch /usr/share/info/
> 21M /usr/share/info/
> [root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -sch /usr/share/man
> 61M /usr/share/man
>
> Some are really big like gcc.info being 1.8mb uncompressed. I vote for
> auto-gzipping the info pages like man-pages.

I believe this mail answers your concern :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2008-August/018448.html

Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/9/17 Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de>:
> Now that we decided that we want to ship info documentation we
> should decide how to package such files: info files could be gzipped by
> makepkg or stay uncompressed.
>
> On my system they already take quiet a lot of space compared to much
> more packages shipping man-pages:
>
> [root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -ch /usr/share/info/
> 21M /usr/share/info/
> [root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -sch /usr/share/man
> 61M /usr/share/man
>
> Some are really big like gcc.info being 1.8mb uncompressed. I vote for
> auto-gzipping the info pages like man-pages.
>
> And shouldn't we check and remove the $pkgdir/usr/share/info/dir
> file that every pkg with info files produces?

I thought that 'zipman' in makepkg.conf do this for info pages too.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Allan McRae

Roman Kyrylych wrote:

Now that we decided that we want to ship info documentation we
should decide how to package such files: info files could be gzipped by
makepkg or stay uncompressed.

On my system they already take quiet a lot of space compared to much
more packages shipping man-pages:

[root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -ch /usr/share/info/
21M /usr/share/info/
[root@workstation64 andyrtr]# du -sch /usr/share/man
61M /usr/share/man

Some are really big like gcc.info being 1.8mb uncompressed. I vote for
auto-gzipping the info pages like man-pages.

And shouldn't we check and remove the $pkgdir/usr/share/info/dir
file that every pkg with info files produces?

I thought that 'zipman' in makepkg.conf do this for info pages too.

Yes, but the compressing of info pages is only on the master branch.
There is no automatic removing of the dir file but that would require
hard-coding a file name into makepkg which I am not too sure about...

Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Miklos Vajna

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 08:43:17PM +1000, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Yes, but the compressing of info pages is only on the master branch. There
> is no automatic removing of the dir file but that would require hard-coding
> a file name into makepkg which I am not too sure about...

I don't exaclty know how you can do it with your KISS way, but we have a
(you can call it distro-specific) install macro that already does stuff
like removing perl's perllocal.pod/.packlist files, etc.

That macro takes care of removing such info dirs as well.