-   -   udev 128 core move blockers (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/159995-udev-128-core-move-blockers.html)

Thomas Bächler 09-14-2008 07:24 PM

udev 128 core move blockers

- http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9739
rc.single needs to be adjusted here, because init s apparently kills
udev. Should be easy, I'll take care of it.

- New udev breaks installation: post_install doesn't create /dev/console
anymore. If /dev/console does not exist, kinit will fail to switch to
the rootfs and the kernel will panic. This is due to the removal of
migrate-udev. We need to include this code into the post_install:

TMPDIR=$(mktemp -d /tmp/udev.XXXXXX)
mount --bind / $(TMPDIR)
[ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/console ] || mknod ....
[ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/null ] || mknod ....
[ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/zero ] || mknod ....
umount $(TMPDIR)
rmdir $(TMPDIR)

We also need to make sure this works when pacman is used with the -r
option. Maybe we don't need the bind mount, as udev installation is
never done in a running system anymore, but only from a chroot or in the
installer.

"Aaron Griffin" 09-15-2008 05:31 PM

udev 128 core move blockers

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> - http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9739
> rc.single needs to be adjusted here, because init s apparently kills udev.
> Should be easy, I'll take care of it.
>
> - New udev breaks installation: post_install doesn't create /dev/console
> anymore. If /dev/console does not exist, kinit will fail to switch to the
> rootfs and the kernel will panic. This is due to the removal of
> migrate-udev. We need to include this code into the post_install:
>
> TMPDIR=$(mktemp -d /tmp/udev.XXXXXX)
> mount --bind / $(TMPDIR)
> [ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/console ] || mknod ....
> [ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/null ] || mknod ....
> [ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/zero ] || mknod ....
> umount $(TMPDIR)
> rmdir $(TMPDIR)
>
> We also need to make sure this works when pacman is used with the -r option.
> Maybe we don't need the bind mount, as udev installation is never done in a
> running system anymore, but only from a chroot or in the installer.

I doubt we need all that TMPDIR malarky. It doesn't even make sense to
me. Just use mknod on /dev/*

Thomas Bächler 09-15-2008 06:00 PM

udev 128 core move blockers

Aaron Griffin schrieb:

TMPDIR=$(mktemp -d /tmp/udev.XXXXXX)
mount --bind / $(TMPDIR)
[ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/console ] || mknod ....
[ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/null ] || mknod ....
[ -c $(TMPDIR)/dev/zero ] || mknod ....
umount $(TMPDIR)
rmdir $(TMPDIR)

We also need to make sure this works when pacman is used with the -r option.
Maybe we don't need the bind mount, as udev installation is never done in a
running system anymore, but only from a chroot or in the installer.

I doubt we need all that TMPDIR malarky. It doesn't even make sense to
me. Just use mknod on /dev/*

The /dev directory on / is hidden by the ramfs mounted over it. Using a
bind mount makes it visible.