Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default My Saturday Sprints

I just wanted to keep you all informed about things, and ask for some
nudges in the right direction.

My Saturday nights are spent with my girlfriend while she's at work.
This means I don't spend a huge amount of time with her, I'm just
kinda there. So, I've started bringing my laptop there, and I actually
get a decent amount of work done.

This Saturday, I plan on stabbing at the installer. I already made
some changes to the archiso scripts last saturday.

I'm sending this email to let you know that every Saturday night, I
have a chunk of 8 hours to do Arch stuff, and I wanted to know what
was on *your* minds... where do we need focus and improvement?
Consider this a "status check" for all of you. Tell me your thoughts,
where we need to improve, and what I can do to improve it. And no, I
don't mean just devs. I mean users reading this list too. Anyone is
welcome to respond. Feel free to send me private email too.

Cheers,
Aaron

Old 09-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Thayer Williams

On Sep 12, 2008 at 03:08 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sending this email to let you know that every Saturday night, I
> have a chunk of 8 hours to do Arch stuff, and I wanted to know what
> was on *your* minds...

Mmm...well, I'm thinking about new york strips and Corona's. Oh wait,
you mean Arch stuff!

Well in that case, how about that trademark policy...I'd like to get that
wrapped up and published so we have something to refer folks to at the
website.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
"Hugo Doria"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> This Saturday, I plan on stabbing at the installer. I already made
> some changes to the archiso scripts last saturday.

The installer is a good point to start and its something that i want to help.

We (or you) could add that old patch to add i18n support. Probably
there are some codes that could be removed or re-arranged too.

-- Hugo

Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Thomas Bächler

Aaron Griffin schrieb:

This Saturday, I plan on stabbing at the installer. I already made
some changes to the archiso scripts last saturday.

Thinking about archiso here. You may want to include this:
http://git.archlinux.de/cgit.cgi?r=archiso-froscon into archiso. Maybe
find a way to automate it using a i686 chroot. Make archiso use its own
clean pacman.conf (I had my iso polluted by weird repositories I have
there) and make sure you can select any mirror (I think at one point
there was something about only being able to use ftp.archlinux.org, and
I had a local mirror in the LAN).

Also, in the archiso-froscon scripts, archlive-$(uname -r).sqfs was
mounted, maybe hardcode the right filename here (we had someone trying
to boot it on i586, which actually worked, but it wouldn't find the
squashfs. Also, if any of the archiso, boot-cd or boot-usb hooks fail,
drop into a ramfs shell instead of panicing.

These are my thoughts on archiso. The installer also needs some
improvement: We now install all of the base group by default. It would
be better that the whole base group is selected by default, but you can
unselect it again in the package list.

My 2 cents for now, maybe I'll post more later.