Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default udev 128-2

Aaron Griffin schrieb:

Thanks Eric for being on the ball. I didn't check for a new version today.

Pushed to testing.
Some important changes:
* Stock rules are not in /lib/udev/rules.d/
* /etc/udev/rules.d is still respected and should be used for non-stock rules
* Custom readme moved to /usr/share/udev. slated for removal later
(man pages are superior)
* Improved stock rules, will eventually need to clean up our Arch rules...
* Possibly others.

Please test and let me know how it goes.

Also, a x86_64 build would be nice.

Changes compared to -1:
- Fixed path: /lib/pkgconfig -> /usr/lib/pkgconfig
- Rewrote load-modules.sh:
+ Fixes http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10972
This adds a new resolve-modalias binary, which resolves an alias
without resolving the dependencies (modprobe can't do that). If you
have a device which can be used by modules A and B, blacklisting A
will no longer result in B being blacklisted with it.
resolve-modalias has gcc-libs as a dependency, but gcc-libs is in
base anyway, so it shouldn't matter.
+ Adds more comprehensive messages to /var/log/everything.log
including a reason why a module hasn't been loaded.
+ If you want to disable a device completely, you can blacklist the
modalias to prevent all matching modules from being loaded.
This should make rc.conf blacklisting way more intuitive.
- Fixed 80-drivers.rules: This was horribly broken, as modprobe was
often called instead of load-modules.sh and thus blacklisting was
completely disabled in -1,
- Add only framebuffer drivers to the framebuffer blacklist, not random
modules containing the string 'fb'

Packages are available for i686 and x86_64 now, please sign off.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>>
>> Thanks Eric for being on the ball. I didn't check for a new version today.
>>
>> Pushed to testing.
>> Some important changes:
>> * Stock rules are not in /lib/udev/rules.d/
>> * /etc/udev/rules.d is still respected and should be used for non-stock
>> rules
>> * Custom readme moved to /usr/share/udev. slated for removal later
>> (man pages are superior)
>> * Improved stock rules, will eventually need to clean up our Arch rules...
>> * Possibly others.
>>
>> Please test and let me know how it goes.
>>
>> Also, a x86_64 build would be nice.
>
> Changes compared to -1:
> - Fixed path: /lib/pkgconfig -> /usr/lib/pkgconfig
> - Rewrote load-modules.sh:
> + Fixes http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10972
> This adds a new resolve-modalias binary, which resolves an alias
> without resolving the dependencies (modprobe can't do that). If you
> have a device which can be used by modules A and B, blacklisting A
> will no longer result in B being blacklisted with it.
> resolve-modalias has gcc-libs as a dependency, but gcc-libs is in
> base anyway, so it shouldn't matter.
> + Adds more comprehensive messages to /var/log/everything.log
> including a reason why a module hasn't been loaded.
> + If you want to disable a device completely, you can blacklist the
> modalias to prevent all matching modules from being loaded.
> This should make rc.conf blacklisting way more intuitive.
> - Fixed 80-drivers.rules: This was horribly broken, as modprobe was
> often called instead of load-modules.sh and thus blacklisting was
> completely disabled in -1,
> - Add only framebuffer drivers to the framebuffer blacklist, not random
> modules containing the string 'fb'

Thanks for the rewrite Thomas. Has this sped anything up for you? I
know my udev time on boot is usually between 4s and 6s, so I'll see if
this affects anything when I reboot

Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Thomas Bächler

- Rewrote load-modules.sh:
[...]

3.2 seconds as usual.

However, I now get
Sep 12 18:32:25 artin load-modules.sh: Not loading module '8139cp' for
alias 'pci:v000010ECd00008139sv000017AAsd00002074bc02sc0 0i00' because it
is blacklisted
in my everything.log. In earlier load-modules version, blacklisting
8139cp would have also disabled 8139too, which is necessary for my LAN.