Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Firmicus

Default TeXLive

Some of you will remember that I have been hired as a dev to bring
texlive to extra... This I hope is very soon going to happen.

TeXLive 2008 has been released last week, and after several days of
preparation, I am (almost) ready to release the pkgs (perhaps after a
few days spent in testing? what do you think?)

Now since I have not yet played with the dev tools at all since joining
the team, I want to ask a few questions pertaining to the dev wiki
"HOWTO be a packager". Your answers should help me avoid a situation
where Allan would start saying "Firmicus broke it"

So here it goes:

I have added the packages to svn and commited them in the trunk. So far
so good. Now suppose I want to upload them to testing, so I'll run
testingpkg for the upload and then /arch/db-testing on gerolde. OK. What
I find unclear is when one needs to "tag" releases (with archrelease).
Is this for special situations only?

Also, concerning the svn $Id tag, should I add them to all my new
PKGBUILDs in trunk?

One more thing: source files for everything except the binary sources
are bundled by myself and will be put on
dev.archlinux.org/~francois/src/. Note that this can add up to several
hundred MB! Please tell me if this is going to be a problem. (The reason
for this is that the individual TL packages are continuously updated on
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/archive/, so any
PKGBUILD using these would be based on a constantly moving target.
Bundling my own sources at each release is I think the most practical
solution. The sources have a CONTENTS file which indicates the revision
number of each TeXLive package it provides).

Ah, and my packages have lzma-utils in the makedepends array, which is
currently in community. Should I move it to extra?

Best,
François

PS: You can have a look at related discussions here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=418242

Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Jan de Groot

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 11:40 +0200, Firmicus wrote:
> So here it goes:
>
> I have added the packages to svn and commited them in the trunk. So far
> so good. Now suppose I want to upload them to testing, so I'll run
> testingpkg for the upload and then /arch/db-testing on gerolde. OK. What
> I find unclear is when one needs to "tag" releases (with archrelease).
> Is this for special situations only?

testingpkg uploads the package, checks md5sum local and remote to make
sure it worked, then svn merges trunk to ../repos/testing-$CARCH and
then you're done to run /arch/db-testing on gerolde.

> Also, concerning the svn $Id tag, should I add them to all my new
> PKGBUILDs in trunk?

They're not needed, but somehow these things need an extra svn property
to get merge tracking. Without the property your PKGBUILDs will always
read $Id: $

> One more thing: source files for everything except the binary sources
> are bundled by myself and will be put on
> dev.archlinux.org/~francois/src/. Note that this can add up to several
> hundred MB! Please tell me if this is going to be a problem. (The reason
> for this is that the individual TL packages are continuously updated on
> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/archive/, so any
> PKGBUILD using these would be based on a constantly moving target.
> Bundling my own sources at each release is I think the most practical
> solution. The sources have a CONTENTS file which indicates the revision
> number of each TeXLive package it provides).

Please make a /home/ftp/other/texlive and put your sources in there. If
there's loads of sources, make subdirectories inside there to organize
it better.

> Ah, and my packages have lzma-utils in the makedepends array, which is
> currently in community. Should I move it to extra?

Would be fine to move it to extra, though there's more packages that
makedepend on community packages.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Thomas Bächler

Firmicus schrieb:
Some of you will remember that I have been hired as a dev to bring
texlive to extra... This I hope is very soon going to happen.

Good. I remember having trouble installing TeXLive from community once
because there were no sane dependencies at all. I hope that is now fixed.

TeXLive 2008 has been released last week, and after several days of
preparation, I am (almost) ready to release the pkgs (perhaps after a
few days spent in testing? what do you think?)

I do not think that is necessary, as these packages have never been in
extra. Note that for extra packages, whether to put them in testing or
not is completely up to you (an exception is SONAME bumps in libraries,
those must go to testing first).

Now since I have not yet played with the dev tools at all since joining
the team, I want to ask a few questions pertaining to the dev wiki
"HOWTO be a packager". Your answers should help me avoid a situation
where Allan would start saying "Firmicus broke it"

So here it goes:

I have added the packages to svn and commited them in the trunk. So far
so good. Now suppose I want to upload them to testing, so I'll run
testingpkg for the upload and then /arch/db-testing on gerolde. OK. What
I find unclear is when one needs to "tag" releases (with archrelease).
Is this for special situations only?

archrelease is called by testingpkg/extrapkg automatically.

Also, concerning the svn $Id tag, should I add them to all my new
PKGBUILDs in trunk?

Yes, add # $Id: $ to every file. You also have to use
svn propset svn:keywords "Id" my-package/trunk/PKGBUILD
on every PKGBUILD file so Subversion will work.

One more thing: source files for everything except the binary sources
are bundled by myself and will be put on
dev.archlinux.org/~francois/src/. Note that this can add up to several
hundred MB! Please tell me if this is going to be a problem. (The reason
for this is that the individual TL packages are continuously updated on
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/archive/, so any
PKGBUILD using these would be based on a constantly moving target.
Bundling my own sources at each release is I think the most practical
solution. The sources have a CONTENTS file which indicates the revision
number of each TeXLive package it provides).

You have no other choice here. Just make sure you don't fill the hard
drive completely. If there is a space problem that is to be solved by
upgrading the hard drives and should be discussed here. Just watch df -h
while you're doing it.

Ah, and my packages have lzma-utils in the makedepends array, which is
currently in community. Should I move it to extra?

Definitely.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Firmicus

Thanks Jan and Thomas for your advices.

Jan de Groot wrote:

Please make a /home/ftp/other/texlive and put your sources in there. If
there's loads of sources, make subdirectories inside there to organize
it better.

OK, but :
[francois@gerolde ~]$ mkdir /home/ftp/other/texlive
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/ftp/other/texlive': Permission
denied

I guess I have to be in the ftp-arch group.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Firmicus

Thomas Bächler a écrit :
Good. I remember having trouble installing TeXLive from community once
because there were no sane dependencies at all. I hope that is now fixed.

That's too harsh. There was only one dependency problem I can remember
and it was fixed quickly. Otherwise you could have filed a bug report on
flyspray

TeXLive 2008 has been released last week, and after several days of
preparation, I am (almost) ready to release the pkgs (perhaps after a
few days spent in testing? what do you think?)

I do not think that is necessary, as these packages have never been in
extra. Note that for extra packages, whether to put them in testing or
not is completely up to you (an exception is SONAME bumps in
libraries, those must go to testing first).

OK, I'll move everything directly to extra.

archrelease is called by testingpkg/extrapkg automatically.

Ah, that's what I hoped. Thanks.

Also, concerning the svn $Id tag, should I add them to all my new
PKGBUILDs in trunk?

Yes, add # $Id: $ to every file. You also have to use
svn propset svn:keywords "Id" my-package/trunk/PKGBUILD
on every PKGBUILD file so Subversion will work.

Will do.

[...]

OK, I'll be careful on that. Note that I decided NOT to provide the
documentation, which is easy to access online anyway, this saves us a
lot of space.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
"Dan McGee"

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 6:24 AM, Firmicus <Firmicus@gmx.net> wrote:

> Thanks Jan and Thomas for your advices.
>

> Jan de Groot wrote:
>>
>> Please make a /home/ftp/other/texlive and put your sources in there. If
>> there's loads of sources, make subdirectories inside there to organize
>> it better.
>>

> OK, but :
> [francois@gerolde ~]$ mkdir /home/ftp/other/texlive
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/ftp/other/texlive': Permission
> denied
>
> I guess I have to be in the ftp-arch group.

I created it and changed the group to ftp-extra, so you should be good to go.

-Dan

Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Jan de Groot

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 13:24 +0200, Firmicus wrote:
> Thanks Jan and Thomas for your advices.
>

> Jan de Groot wrote:
> > Please make a /home/ftp/other/texlive and put your sources in there. If
> > there's loads of sources, make subdirectories inside there to organize
> > it better.
> >

> OK, but :
> [francois@gerolde ~]$ mkdir /home/ftp/other/texlive
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/ftp/other/texlive': Permission
> denied
>
> I guess I have to be in the ftp-arch group.

Dan created it for you and setup ftp-extra permissions on it.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Thomas Bächler

Jan de Groot schrieb:

I guess I have to be in the ftp-arch group.

Dan created it for you and setup ftp-extra permissions on it.

You shouly probably make francois the owner of this directory, so
everybody will know whose this is.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Thomas Bächler

Firmicus schrieb:

Thomas Bächler a écrit :
Good. I remember having trouble installing TeXLive from community once
because there were no sane dependencies at all. I hope that is now fixed.

That's too harsh. There was only one dependency problem I can remember
and it was fixed quickly. Otherwise you could have filed a bug report on
flyspray

Yeah, I didn't have time and gave up. But if I remember correctly, it
was pretty screwed up. I'll try your new packages for 2008 and report
anything that's wrong. No need to bitch about old packages.

Yes, add # $Id: $ to every file. You also have to use
svn propset svn:keywords "Id" my-package/trunk/PKGBUILD
on every PKGBUILD file so Subversion will work.

Will do.

I guess you noticed, but still, I wrote it wrong: We only add # $Id: $
to every PKGBUILD file, not to every file like I wrote above. You can of
course - at your discretion - add it to other files as well. Just keep
in mind that this will invalidate md5sums for source files every time
you commit, but can be useful for .install files.