Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
"Thayer Williams"

Default Conflicting PKGBUILDs between trunk and repos

I'm trying to commit a pkgrel bump on gtk-xfce-engine, but I keep
encountered an svn conflict on the PKGBUILDs. I followed the
instructions to resolve and commit, but the repos/ subdirs are still
showing the old PKGBUILD file even though the trunk has been updated.

Is there something I'm missing here? A command perhaps to force the update?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:27 PM
"Thayer Williams"

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to commit a pkgrel bump on gtk-xfce-engine, but I keep
> encountered an svn conflict on the PKGBUILDs. I followed the
> instructions to resolve and commit, but the repos/ subdirs are still
> showing the old PKGBUILD file even though the trunk has been updated.
>
> Is there something I'm missing here? A command perhaps to force the update?

Nevermind, I think I've got it working...not sure why though there was
a conflict in the first place though.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Thomas Bächler

Thayer Williams schrieb:

I'm trying to commit a pkgrel bump on gtk-xfce-engine, but I keep
encountered an svn conflict on the PKGBUILDs. I followed the
instructions to resolve and commit, but the repos/ subdirs are still
showing the old PKGBUILD file even though the trunk has been updated.

Is there something I'm missing here? A command perhaps to force the update?

First of all, have you run svn up on trunk and repos (or their parent)
before you started working? You should always do that.

You could always delete the repos/ directory and svn up it again, then
run archrelease again. If that doesn't work, you need someone who really
knows subversion.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:43 PM
"Giovanni Scafora"

2008/9/7, Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org>:
> I'm trying to commit a pkgrel bump on gtk-xfce-engine, but I keep
> encountered an svn conflict on the PKGBUILDs. I followed the
> instructions to resolve and commit, but the repos/ subdirs are still
> showing the old PKGBUILD file even though the trunk has been updated.
>
> Is there something I'm missing here? A command perhaps to force the update?

How do you solved?

--
Arch Linux Developer (voidnull)
AUR & Pacman Italian Translations

Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
"Thayer Williams"

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Thayer Williams schrieb:
>>
>> I'm trying to commit a pkgrel bump on gtk-xfce-engine, but I keep
>> encountered an svn conflict on the PKGBUILDs. I followed the
>> instructions to resolve and commit, but the repos/ subdirs are still
>> showing the old PKGBUILD file even though the trunk has been updated.
>>
>> Is there something I'm missing here? A command perhaps to force the
>> update?
>>

> First of all, have you run svn up on trunk and repos (or their parent)
> before you started working? You should always do that.

Definitely yes--I had never checked out this package before last night
so it was fresh.

> You could always delete the repos/ directory and svn up it again, then run
> archrelease again. If that doesn't work, you need someone who really knows
> subversion.

What I don't understand is why the repos PKGBUILD was flagged as
conflicting, since it was identical to the PKGBUILD in trunk (prior to
my changes of course).

All I did was update the PKGBUILD in trunk, built the package, tested
it and then ran 'extrapkg'. That's when it told me there was problem
with the repos/extra-i686 version of the PKGBUILD.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 PM
"Thayer Williams"

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Giovanni Scafora <linuxmania@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/7, Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org>:
>> I'm trying to commit a pkgrel bump on gtk-xfce-engine, but I keep
>> encountered an svn conflict on the PKGBUILDs. I followed the
>> instructions to resolve and commit, but the repos/ subdirs are still
>> showing the old PKGBUILD file even though the trunk has been updated.
>>
>> Is there something I'm missing here? A command perhaps to force the update?
>
> How do you solved?

I think I entered the wrong path when trying to resolve the conflict
the first time around--I pointed it to the PKGBUILD in trunk when I
should have pointed it to the PKGBUILD in repos/extra-i686. On my
second attempt I corrected this and everything seems to be working
now.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Eric Belanger

[...]

FTR, I got a conflict with extra-x86_64 as well. It was the maintainer
tag. I guess that i686 had the same conflict.

believed to be clean.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Giovanni Scafora <linuxmania@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/9/7, Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org>:
>>> I'm trying to commit a pkgrel bump on gtk-xfce-engine, but I keep
>>> encountered an svn conflict on the PKGBUILDs. I followed the
>>> instructions to resolve and commit, but the repos/ subdirs are still
>>> showing the old PKGBUILD file even though the trunk has been updated.
>>>
>>> Is there something I'm missing here? A command perhaps to force the update?
>>
>> How do you solved?
>
> I think I entered the wrong path when trying to resolve the conflict
> the first time around--I pointed it to the PKGBUILD in trunk when I
> should have pointed it to the PKGBUILD in repos/extra-i686. On my
> second attempt I corrected this and everything seems to be working
> now.

When you run into a conflict, svn is really smart about it. You
actually end up with 3 files, named like so:
PKGBUILD.orig
PKGBUILD.r1234
PKGBUILD.r2345
and also "PKGBUILD". If you take a look at the PKGBUILD file, it will
have all these little things like so:
foo=1

These are the conflicting sections. You can either justify these, and
remove all the >>> ==== <<< stuff, or go ahead and replace the
PKGBUILD file with one of the three above.
Then when you run "svn resolved" it all gets cleaned up and assumes
you did the right thing.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Thayer Williams

On Sep 08, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you run into a conflict, svn is really smart about it. You
> actually end up with 3 files, named like so:
> PKGBUILD.orig
> PKGBUILD.r1234
> PKGBUILD.r2345
> and also "PKGBUILD". If you take a look at the PKGBUILD file, it will
> have all these little things like so:
> foo=1
> >>>>>>>>

> These are the conflicting sections. You can either justify these, and
> remove all the >>> ==== <<< stuff, or go ahead and replace the
> PKGBUILD file with one of the three above.
> Then when you run "svn resolved" it all gets cleaned up and assumes
> you did the right thing.

Yep, that's basically what I did--and the second time around it worked
fine.

What is confusing is why the repo versions of PKGBUILDs prevented a
commit. I thought the repos subdirs were simply copies of the trunk,
allowing arch-specific commits if/when necessary. I assumed that by
changing something at the trunk-level, the repos would be automatically
updated (without the need to merge)--unless of course a local commit was
specifically done in the repos directory.