Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default Possible signoff addendum

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 08:02 -0400, Paul Mattal wrote:
>> >
>> > It's not necessarily a bad thing to have the signoffs come from testers
>> > who are not developers-- it saves time for developers to be developing
>> > if others are testing.
>> >
>> > I know I test when I can, but usually get around to it less when I have
>> > a backlog of developing to do already.
>
> I would be happy to test more packages, but I am hesitant to open up the
> testing repo on my system after having some bad encounters in the past.
>
> I've also got an arch in virtualbox, but that doesn't really help for
> hardware-related stuff like the recent 3945 wifi update.
>
> How do you other devs manage your test packages? Do you use separate test
> machines or are ya just livin' on the edge? Any best practises you'd like
> to share?

I just run testing. I haven't had anything break that wasn't my own
fault in ages

Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 08:02 -0400, Paul Mattal wrote:
>> >
>> > It's not necessarily a bad thing to have the signoffs come from testers
>> > who are not developers-- it saves time for developers to be developing
>> > if others are testing.
>> >
>> > I know I test when I can, but usually get around to it less when I have
>> > a backlog of developing to do already.
>
> I would be happy to test more packages, but I am hesitant to open up the
> testing repo on my system after having some bad encounters in the past.
>
> I've also got an arch in virtualbox, but that doesn't really help for
> hardware-related stuff like the recent 3945 wifi update.
>
> How do you other devs manage your test packages? Do you use separate test
> machines or are ya just livin' on the edge? Any best practises you'd like
> to share?

Testing hasn't broken my machine beyond a quick 5 minute fix once in
the last 6 months. I think we are getting a lot better at self-testing
before blindly pushing packages. It isn't like you have to -Syu every
day either- just take a glance at the ML and see if there are any "OMG
broken" messages there before upgrading.

-Dan

Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Thomas Bächler

Thayer Williams schrieb:

I would be happy to test more packages, but I am hesitant to open up the
testing repo on my system after having some bad encounters in the past.

I've also got an arch in virtualbox, but that doesn't really help for
hardware-related stuff like the recent 3945 wifi update.

How do you other devs manage your test packages? Do you use separate test
machines or are ya just livin' on the edge? Any best practises you'd like

to share?

I use testing on all my machines. I occasionally hold back on a few
updates when I know they might break and I have no time to fix it. I
usually know how to fix stuff though.