Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default Risky business: udev upgrade

So I've let udev stagnate for a while, mostly because I'm a fool and
real life has given me a lack of time for anything serious in
Arch-land.

Anyway, I've rebuilt udev 126 (we're on 119, eek!) and made what
changes I thought ideal. I would love to stick with strictly vanilla
rules, but some of them don't work properly for us, so we still have a
tiny bit of patching to do.

Now... I'm looking for a helping hand here. I've built the package the
best I can, and installed it, but I have not rebooted. I am going to
commit these changes to svn trunk, and upload a package for anyone to
play with.

Please, if you have a little time, take a look at all of it - the
rules, everything, give it a once over and see if we can eliminate any
of the patching done to the stock rules. Some of it (i.e. the addition
of some GROUP directives) needs to stay, but others I am unsure about

i686 package here: https://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/udev-126-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
An x86_64 build of trunk would be appreciated.

Two things to note:
a) rules have moved out of /etc, they are now located in
/lib/udev/rules.d/ (eek!)
b) The cdrom-rules.patch we had appears no longer applicable. Can
anyone confirm this doesn't break anything.

Cheers, I will be back in a few hours to play around some more,
Aaron

Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

<snip>

Briefly tested here. Boot-up went fine. My !pcspkr entry in the
MODULES array of /etc/rc.conf was ignored. Also, I had no (wireless)
internet. Didn't look into this too far but the iwl3945 module had
loaded. I have need for internet today so I gave up there for the time
being.

Allan

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> My !pcspkr entry in the MODULES array of /etc/rc.conf was ignored.

Looks like modprobe is still called directly in
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules I will fix that. It should call
load-modules. Fixing and re-uploading.

> Also, I had no (wireless) internet.
> Didn't look into this too far but the iwl3945 module had loaded. I have
> need for internet today so I gave up there for the time being.

Odd... did you also upgrade the kernel or anything? Doesn't sound like
a udev issue if the module is loaded.

For the record, my internet has been flakey recently too, but I think
that's related to me dropping ndiswrapper for ath5k. ndiswrapper seems
to give me superior signal strength, but now that the atheros drivers
are viable for this laptop, I think I'd rather use that...

Anyway, I re-uploaded. Bumped the pkgrel, so the new i686 package is here:

https://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/udev-126-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz

Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Tobias Powalowski

Am Donnerstag 28 August 2008 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > My !pcspkr entry in the MODULES array of /etc/rc.conf was ignored.
>
> Looks like modprobe is still called directly in
> /lib/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules I will fix that. It should call
> load-modules. Fixing and re-uploading.
>
> > Also, I had no (wireless) internet.
> > Didn't look into this too far but the iwl3945 module had loaded. I have
> > need for internet today so I gave up there for the time being.
>
> Odd... did you also upgrade the kernel or anything? Doesn't sound like
> a udev issue if the module is loaded.
>
> For the record, my internet has been flakey recently too, but I think
> that's related to me dropping ndiswrapper for ath5k. ndiswrapper seems
> to give me superior signal strength, but now that the atheros drivers
> are viable for this laptop, I think I'd rather use that...
>
> Anyway, I re-uploaded. Bumped the pkgrel, so the new i686 package is here:
>
> https://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/udev-126-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
hey there, will look at your changes this weekend.
greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

My !pcspkr entry in the MODULES array of /etc/rc.conf was ignored.

Looks like modprobe is still called directly in
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules I will fix that. It should call
load-modules. Fixing and re-uploading.

Works fine now.

Also, I had no (wireless) internet.
Didn't look into this too far but the iwl3945 module had loaded. I have
need for internet today so I gave up there for the time being.

Odd... did you also upgrade the kernel or anything? Doesn't sound like
a udev issue if the module is loaded.

I did not change anything else at the same time.

For the record, my internet has been flakey recently too, but I think
that's related to me dropping ndiswrapper for ath5k. ndiswrapper seems
to give me superior signal strength, but now that the atheros drivers
are viable for this laptop, I think I'd rather use that...

Further investigation shows it is some kind of issue with
gnome-network-manager as I couldn't even connect via ethernet that way.
All is fine (at least for ethernet) if I don't use
gnome-network-manager. I will do further investigation later tonight.

Allan

Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 AM
"James Rayner"

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've let udev stagnate for a while, mostly because I'm a fool and
> real life has given me a lack of time for anything serious in
> Arch-land.
>
> Anyway, I've rebuilt udev 126 (we're on 119, eek!) and made what
> changes I thought ideal. I would love to stick with strictly vanilla
> rules, but some of them don't work properly for us, so we still have a
> tiny bit of patching to do.
>
> Now... I'm looking for a helping hand here. I've built the package the
> best I can, and installed it, but I have not rebooted. I am going to
> commit these changes to svn trunk, and upload a package for anyone to
> play with.
>
> Please, if you have a little time, take a look at all of it - the
> rules, everything, give it a once over and see if we can eliminate any
> of the patching done to the stock rules. Some of it (i.e. the addition
> of some GROUP directives) needs to stay, but others I am unsure about
>
> i686 package here: https://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/udev-126-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> An x86_64 build of trunk would be appreciated.

Here's -1, you havn't committed -2
http://dev.archlinux.org/~james/udev-126-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

Will look over it and test when I get a chance.

James

Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:24 AM, James Rayner <iphitus@iphitus.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I've let udev stagnate for a while, mostly because I'm a fool and
>> real life has given me a lack of time for anything serious in
>> Arch-land.
>>
>> Anyway, I've rebuilt udev 126 (we're on 119, eek!) and made what
>> changes I thought ideal. I would love to stick with strictly vanilla
>> rules, but some of them don't work properly for us, so we still have a
>> tiny bit of patching to do.
>>
>> Now... I'm looking for a helping hand here. I've built the package the
>> best I can, and installed it, but I have not rebooted. I am going to
>> commit these changes to svn trunk, and upload a package for anyone to
>> play with.
>>
>> Please, if you have a little time, take a look at all of it - the
>> rules, everything, give it a once over and see if we can eliminate any
>> of the patching done to the stock rules. Some of it (i.e. the addition
>> of some GROUP directives) needs to stay, but others I am unsure about
>>
>> i686 package here: https://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/udev-126-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
>> An x86_64 build of trunk would be appreciated.
>
> Here's -1, you havn't committed -2
> http://dev.archlinux.org/~james/udev-126-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
>
> Will look over it and test when I get a chance.

Doh... committed now

Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:24 AM, James Rayner <iphitus@iphitus.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So I've let udev stagnate for a while, mostly because I'm a fool and
>>> real life has given me a lack of time for anything serious in
>>> Arch-land.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I've rebuilt udev 126 (we're on 119, eek!) and made what
>>> changes I thought ideal. I would love to stick with strictly vanilla
>>> rules, but some of them don't work properly for us, so we still have a
>>> tiny bit of patching to do.
>>>
>>> Now... I'm looking for a helping hand here. I've built the package the
>>> best I can, and installed it, but I have not rebooted. I am going to
>>> commit these changes to svn trunk, and upload a package for anyone to
>>> play with.
>>>
>>> Please, if you have a little time, take a look at all of it - the
>>> rules, everything, give it a once over and see if we can eliminate any
>>> of the patching done to the stock rules. Some of it (i.e. the addition
>>> of some GROUP directives) needs to stay, but others I am unsure about
>>>
>>> i686 package here: https://dev.archlinux.org/~aaron/udev-126-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
>>> An x86_64 build of trunk would be appreciated.
>>
>> Here's -1, you havn't committed -2
>> http://dev.archlinux.org/~james/udev-126-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
>>
>> Will look over it and test when I get a chance.
>
> Doh... committed now

Just a bump here. I'd like to throw this in testing if someone else
can verify I didn't make machines unbootable. When this hit's testing,
it will require a rebuild of packages which contain udev rules (move
from /etc/udev/rules.d/ to /lib/udev/rules.d/). When I move to
testing, I will make a todo list for these packages

Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Eric Belanger

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

I tried udev-126-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz. My machine still booted fine. The
only problem that I noticed is that the /dev/sg0 device that it creates
for my external USB DVD/CD-RW doesn't have the write permission for the optical group:

$ ls -l /dev/sg0
crw-r----- 1 root optical 21, 0 2008-08-29 18:42 /dev/sg0

The permissions for sr0 are correct though:
$ ls -l /dev/sr0
brw-rw---- 1 root optical 11, 0 2008-08-29 18:42 /dev/sr0

believed to be clean.