Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM
"Dusty Phillips"

Default Web based signoffs

Esteemed ArchLinux Developers,

Partially because Aaron asked for it and thinks it is cool and
partially because all those [signoff] e-mails in my inbox are kind of
boring to me (as a non-packager), I have implemented a web based
signoff mechanism into archweb_dev.

https://dev.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

This is a thoroughly un-tested beta version that will probably break.
I'm far too lazy/important/busy (depending how you perceive my levels
of ambition/arrogance/available time...) to do my own testing, so
please break it and report bugs.

It works pretty simple. All packages in testing are listed in the
signoff page. If you test a package and deem it usable you can click
the "signoff" link to sign off for it. If two or more people sign off
for a package, the package 'approved' flag is set to true. Its up to
the maintainer whether or not he wants to move the package to
core/extra before it is approved, or alternatively if you want to wait
for more than two people to signoff or whatever. Each person who signs
off is listed, so you can even judge the quality of the signoff based
on how much you believe the person really tested it.

I mean you could have figured that out for your self in less time than
it took me to write it, but seriously, isn't documentation wonderful?

Hope you all enjoy.

Dusty

Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Eric Belanger

Partially because Aaron asked for it and thinks it is cool and
partially because all those [signoff] e-mails in my inbox are kind of
boring to me (as a non-packager), I have implemented a web based
signoff mechanism into archweb_dev.

https://dev.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

This is a thoroughly un-tested beta version that will probably break.
I'm far too lazy/important/busy (depending how you perceive my levels
of ambition/arrogance/available time...) to do my own testing, so
please break it and report bugs.

It works pretty simple. All packages in testing are listed in the
signoff page. If you test a package and deem it usable you can click
the "signoff" link to sign off for it. If two or more people sign off
for a package, the package 'approved' flag is set to true.

The 'approved' flag for a package (both i686 and x86_64 versions) should
be set to true when the package has received at
least one signoff per arch.

Apart from that bug, it looks nice and it would be more convenient than
the ML expecially to keep track of the signoffs.

Its up to

the maintainer whether or not he wants to move the package to
core/extra before it is approved, or alternatively if you want to wait
for more than two people to signoff or whatever. Each person who signs
off is listed, so you can even judge the quality of the signoff based
on how much you believe the person really tested it.

I mean you could have figured that out for your self in less time than
it took me to write it, but seriously, isn't documentation wonderful?

Hope you all enjoy.

Dusty

believed to be clean.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Eric Belanger

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Eric Belanger
[...]

Yes and no. I can't think of an easy way to record the packager as
having signed off, but it would be nice to know who exactly signed off
rather than just doing the assumed signoff. For instance, I have built
x86_64 packages before that I have no possible way of signing off on
(GUI application or something), and in that case I do want multiple
signoffs and my implicit one doesn't exist.

However, I can't think of an elegant way to do this. Anyone else?

-Dan

We could just stop assuming that the packager has automatically signed off
and toggle the 'approved' flags after each arch has received 2 signoffs.
Then, the packager will need to go to the web page and signoff his own
packages (if he could test them, of course).

Eric

believed to be clean.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 PM
"Dan McGee"

Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Eduardo Romero

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 13:50 -0400, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> Esteemed ArchLinux Developers,
>
> Partially because Aaron asked for it and thinks it is cool and
> partially because all those [signoff] e-mails in my inbox are kind of
> boring to me (as a non-packager), I have implemented a web based
> signoff mechanism into archweb_dev.
>
> https://dev.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/
>
> This is a thoroughly un-tested beta version that will probably break.
> I'm far too lazy/important/busy (depending how you perceive my levels
> of ambition/arrogance/available time...) to do my own testing, so
> please break it and report bugs.
>
> It works pretty simple. All packages in testing are listed in the
> signoff page. If you test a package and deem it usable you can click
> the "signoff" link to sign off for it. If two or more people sign off
> for a package, the package 'approved' flag is set to true. Its up to
> the maintainer whether or not he wants to move the package to
> core/extra before it is approved, or alternatively if you want to wait
> for more than two people to signoff or whatever. Each person who signs
> off is listed, so you can even judge the quality of the signoff based
> on how much you believe the person really tested it.
>
> I mean you could have figured that out for your self in less time than
> it took me to write it, but seriously, isn't documentation wonderful?
>
> Hope you all enjoy.
>
> Dusty
OK, I have jsut used it, and it works great. I really think it is a
great idea. Two thumbs up for our Django coder.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:23 PM
"Thayer Williams"

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Esteemed ArchLinux Developers,
>
> Partially because Aaron asked for it and thinks it is cool and
> partially because all those [signoff] e-mails in my inbox are kind of
> boring to me (as a non-packager), I have implemented a web based
> signoff mechanism into archweb_dev.
>
> https://dev.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

Nice work! I think this is a great idea too.

I only see one potential problem...what if someone accidentaly clicks
signoff on the wrong package? For instance, I didn't really test the
cracklib, but I couldn't resist the urge to click it!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:39 PM
"Dusty Phillips"

2008/8/17 Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org>:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Esteemed ArchLinux Developers,
>>
>> Partially because Aaron asked for it and thinks it is cool and
>> partially because all those [signoff] e-mails in my inbox are kind of
>> boring to me (as a non-packager), I have implemented a web based
>> signoff mechanism into archweb_dev.
>>
>> https://dev.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/
>
> Nice work! I think this is a great idea too.
>
> I only see one potential problem...what if someone accidentaly clicks
> signoff on the wrong package? For instance, I didn't really test the
> cracklib, but I couldn't resist the urge to click it!

I can easily add 'unsignoff' functionality, but I'm not sure its
necessary; this isn't the general public we're talking about and an
e-mail to the maintainer saying "Ignore my signoff on package x" might
suffice.

But its up to you guys, its probably a matter of 10 minutes to add a
view for removing a signoff.

Dusty

Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Eduardo Romero

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 13:39 -0400, Dusty Phillips wrote:
> 2008/8/17 Thayer Williams <thayer@archlinux.org>:
> > On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Esteemed ArchLinux Developers,
> >>
> >> Partially because Aaron asked for it and thinks it is cool and
> >> partially because all those [signoff] e-mails in my inbox are kind of
> >> boring to me (as a non-packager), I have implemented a web based
> >> signoff mechanism into archweb_dev.
> >>
> >> https://dev.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/
> >
> > Nice work! I think this is a great idea too.
> >
> > I only see one potential problem...what if someone accidentaly clicks
> > signoff on the wrong package? For instance, I didn't really test the
> > cracklib, but I couldn't resist the urge to click it!
> >

> I can easily add 'unsignoff' functionality, but I'm not sure its
> necessary; this isn't the general public we're talking about and an
> e-mail to the maintainer saying "Ignore my signoff on package x" might
> suffice.
>
> But its up to you guys, its probably a matter of 10 minutes to add a
> view for removing a signoff.
>
> Dusty
Well, that would be a great addition, and also, packages from core are
the only ones supposed to be put through the signoff proccess. I know
this one might be a bit harder to implement, maybe not.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Eric Belanger

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Eduardo Romero wrote:

[...]

We should keep the packages from extra on the list as it can always be
useful for packages like the servers or the kernel modules. What would be
nice would be to seperate the core packages from the extra packages and
to have the core packages listed first as they are the ones
requiring signoffs. If it's too hard/impossible to do, then keeping them
in alphabetical order is fine.

believed to be clean.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Eduardo Romero <k3nsai@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 13:39 -0400, Dusty Phillips wrote:

>> > Nice work! I think this is a great idea too.
>> >
>> > I only see one potential problem...what if someone accidentaly clicks
>> > signoff on the wrong package? For instance, I didn't really test the
>> > cracklib, but I couldn't resist the urge to click it!
>> >

>> I can easily add 'unsignoff' functionality, but I'm not sure its
>> necessary; this isn't the general public we're talking about and an
>> e-mail to the maintainer saying "Ignore my signoff on package x" might
>> suffice.
>>
>> But its up to you guys, its probably a matter of 10 minutes to add a
>> view for removing a signoff.
>>
>> Dusty
> Well, that would be a great addition, and also, packages from core are
> the only ones supposed to be put through the signoff proccess. I know
> this one might be a bit harder to implement, maybe not.

If it goes through testing, I don't think anyone is going to object to
others signing off on it- if anything it will reassure them that
everything went OK.

The rule is not "only core packages get signed off on", the rule is
"core packages *must* get signed off on".

-Dan