Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Default ncurses wide-char only testing

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have set up a repo with an ncurses version that only has wide-charater
> libraries and rebuilt as many packages as I knew needed a rebuild. See
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/ncursesw for details and the
> repo location. There are about a dozen build failures that I haven't
> looked into yet.
>
> I am using the packages now and have yet to find a problem so I would
> appreciate some testing from others, especially people using other locales.
> Only word of caution is that I haven't used ldd on the kde packages yet so
> there may be some rebuilds there that I don't know about. Also I had to do
> a version bump of util-linux-ng and a patchlevel bump on vi.

Just making this more visible. I can test this and all, but I'm
sitting here in en_US mode, so it'd be appretiated if some people who
use other locales, especially those that typically cause us issues
(ru?) could test - this includes users as well.

Let me know.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
"Grigorios Bouzakis"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have set up a repo with an ncurses version that only has wide-charater
>> libraries and rebuilt as many packages as I knew needed a rebuild. See
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/ncursesw for details and the
>> repo location. There are about a dozen build failures that I haven't
>> looked into yet.
>>
>> I am using the packages now and have yet to find a problem so I would
>> appreciate some testing from others, especially people using other locales.
>> Only word of caution is that I haven't used ldd on the kde packages yet so
>> there may be some rebuilds there that I don't know about. Also I had to do
>> a version bump of util-linux-ng and a patchlevel bump on vi.
>
> Just making this more visible. I can test this and all, but I'm
> sitting here in en_US mode, so it'd be appretiated if some people who
> use other locales, especially those that typically cause us issues
> (ru?) could test - this includes users as well.

Even though i had said i was gonna test the packages you made i only have a
x86_64 pc running Archlinux ATM, using only en_US locale too.

Greg

Old 08-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

Giving this one final bump before I move the rebuilds to testing. I
have had some reports from people with European locales that things are
working and some improvements have been noticed.

Anybody using Russian or Asian locales who can give this a test?
Contact me if x86_64 builds would be useful in testing and I can start
those builds now.

Thanks,
Allan

Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have set up a repo with an ncurses version that only has wide-charater
>>> libraries and rebuilt as many packages as I knew needed a rebuild. See
>>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/ncursesw for details and
>>> the
>>> repo location. There are about a dozen build failures that I haven't
>>> looked into yet.
>>>
>>> I am using the packages now and have yet to find a problem so I would
>>> appreciate some testing from others, especially people using other
>>> locales.
>>> Only word of caution is that I haven't used ldd on the kde packages yet
>>> so
>>> there may be some rebuilds there that I don't know about. Also I had to
>>> do
>>> a version bump of util-linux-ng and a patchlevel bump on vi.
>>>

>> Just making this more visible. I can test this and all, but I'm
>> sitting here in en_US mode, so it'd be appretiated if some people who
>> use other locales, especially those that typically cause us issues
>> (ru?) could test - this includes users as well.
>>
>> Let me know.
>>

> Giving this one final bump before I move the rebuilds to testing. I have
> had some reports from people with European locales that things are working
> and some improvements have been noticed.
> Anybody using Russian or Asian locales who can give this a test? Contact me
> if x86_64 builds would be useful in testing and I can start those builds
> now.

I'll give you my stamp of "great job, go on forward". I've seen no
huge issues yet, and moving it to testing will give us better test
coverage.