FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Jan de Groot
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

Finally we have an opensource, free, alternative java platform available
that's compatible to the official Sun JDK. Our OpenJDK6 package is based
on a mercurial checkout of icedtea6 and is built with the latest Sun
OpenJDK GPL'ed sources.
OpenJDK comes with Java Web Start and a native browser plugin for both
i686 and x86_64.
We would like to make openjdk6 our default java enviornment and
deprecate any use of gcc-gcj/java-gcj-compat, except for the packages
required to build openjdk6.
Please give openjdk6 some testing and report bugs when you find them.
 
Old 08-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Thomas Bächler
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

Jan de Groot schrieb:

Finally we have an opensource, free, alternative java platform available
that's compatible to the official Sun JDK. Our OpenJDK6 package is based
on a mercurial checkout of icedtea6 and is built with the latest Sun
OpenJDK GPL'ed sources.
OpenJDK comes with Java Web Start and a native browser plugin for both
i686 and x86_64.
We would like to make openjdk6 our default java enviornment and
deprecate any use of gcc-gcj/java-gcj-compat, except for the packages
required to build openjdk6.
Please give openjdk6 some testing and report bugs when you find them.


The java plugin seems to work nice. However, the font is ugly when it
first asks for a path to a temporary directory. I have the same ugly
fonts when I launch tvbrowser.
 
Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Andreas Radke
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

Am Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:16:47 +0200
schrieb Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net>:

> Finally we have an opensource, free, alternative java platform
> available that's compatible to the official Sun JDK. Our OpenJDK6
> package is based on a mercurial checkout of icedtea6 and is built
> with the latest Sun OpenJDK GPL'ed sources.
> OpenJDK comes with Java Web Start and a native browser plugin for both
> i686 and x86_64.
> We would like to make openjdk6 our default java enviornment and
> deprecate any use of gcc-gcj/java-gcj-compat, except for the packages
> required to build openjdk6.
> Please give openjdk6 some testing and report bugs when you find them.
>

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2008-August/002835.html

We are also affected. This should be fixed before moving to extra.

-Andy
 
Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Eduardo Romero
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 18:16 +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> Finally we have an opensource, free, alternative java platform available
> that's compatible to the official Sun JDK. Our OpenJDK6 package is based
> on a mercurial checkout of icedtea6 and is built with the latest Sun
> OpenJDK GPL'ed sources.
> OpenJDK comes with Java Web Start and a native browser plugin for both
> i686 and x86_64.
> We would like to make openjdk6 our default java enviornment and
> deprecate any use of gcc-gcj/java-gcj-compat, except for the packages
> required to build openjdk6.
> Please give openjdk6 some testing and report bugs when you find them.
>
Hi,

Wanted to comment, that I just recently started classes at the
University and some of my classes are online. The online site the univ
relies on is heavily dependant on java. I logged in today and it worked
but most of the site was useless, until I changed back to jre from repo.
So i guess this openjdk6 package should not move to extra anytime soon
until it is mature enough. Or maybe we can have both jre/jdk and
oepnjdk6 in repo. I'm not sure if you guys already decided anything on
it, but just writting to inform you of my experiences.

Thanks

Eduardo "kensai" Romero
 
Old 08-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Andreas Radke
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

Am Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:00:28 -0400
schrieb Eduardo Romero <k3nsai@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Wanted to comment, that I just recently started classes at the
> University and some of my classes are online. The online site the univ
> relies on is heavily dependant on java. I logged in today and it
> worked but most of the site was useless, until I changed back to jre
> from repo. So i guess this openjdk6 package should not move to extra
> anytime soon until it is mature enough. Or maybe we can have both
> jre/jdk and oepnjdk6 in repo. I'm not sure if you guys already
> decided anything on it, but just writting to inform you of my
> experiences.
>
> Thanks
>
> Eduardo "kensai" Romero
>

Hm. OpenJDK passes 99,9% java compatibility tests. I haven't had any
problems so far. I have found pages not possible to watch with SUN's
jre but working with OpenJDK.

It might help to have only one java runtime pkg installed and you
should source /etc/profile.d/openjdk6.sh or even relogin. What browser
are you running and what website failed?

-Andy
 
Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Eduardo Romero
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 06:17 +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
>
> Hm. OpenJDK passes 99,9% java compatibility tests. I haven't had any
> problems so far. I have found pages not possible to watch with SUN's
> jre but working with OpenJDK.
>
> It might help to have only one java runtime pkg installed and you
> should source /etc/profile.d/openjdk6.sh or even relogin. What browser
> are you running and what website failed?
>
> -Andy
Hey,

Thanks for your suggestions, this time it is working like a charm, I
guess that a clearing of firefox cache helped a bit as well. :-D

Thanks,

Eduardo "kensai" Romero
 
Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM
"Vesa Kaihlavirta"
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

> The java plugin seems to work nice. However, the font is ugly when it first
> asks for a path to a temporary directory. I have the same ugly fonts when I
> launch tvbrowser.

Also the ugly fonts in, I suppose, all GUI java programs. But at least
in freemind.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52852

--vk
 
Old 08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Jan de Groot
 
Default OpenJDK available in testing

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 16:14 +0300, Vesa Kaihlavirta wrote:
> > The java plugin seems to work nice. However, the font is ugly when it first
> > asks for a path to a temporary directory. I have the same ugly fonts when I
> > launch tvbrowser.
>
> Also the ugly fonts in, I suppose, all GUI java programs. But at least
> in freemind.
>
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52852
>
> --vk

Fonts are ugly yes, this has been fixed in svn trunk, but as I wanted to
make java use the system ssl certs, I haven't released a version based
on that yet.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org