FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 PM
"Aaron Griffin"
 
Default Story time: Gerolde breakage

What follows below is a recounting of the Great Gerolde Breakage of
'08. Details are provided by eyewitness accounts, and names have been
changed to protect the innocent.

It was a dark and gloomy night, that Thursday. I had come home late,
in a bit of a dour mood, and had been drinking a bit. I sat down at my
computer to check some emails and do some things before bed. When I
concluded my events for the night, I decided it was time to -Syu and
reboot. So I closed everything down except one terminal. The events
below were all internal monologue:

Hmm, Syu time. Woah, that's a lot of packages.... ah well. ENTER
Huh, why do I have apache on this laptop? I'll have to remove that later.
Hmm... mailman? I KNOW I didn't install that... what the? OH MY GOD
THIS IS GEROLDE!

I immediately Ctrl-C'd because I had a "sudo reboot" queued up for
when the -Syu finished. I paused for a moment, kicking myself for
doing that. I checked apache, and it was still running. ftp was
working too.

Ok, good. Exit SSH. Let me -Syu locally.

Re-ssh to gerolde... immediate "permission denied". Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.

Yeah, I Ctrl-C'd before a kerberos upgrade was finished. This broke
ssh, and something else goofy broke mailman.

I emailed Dale, and he fixed SSH in the morning (whew, thanks a lot
Dale). Mailman was a bit harder, but considering everything was down
already, we switched from exim to postfix, as we'd been talking about
it for ages. Hooray for silver linings!

So. It's all back up now. Mailman is working, postfix is working, and
everything else should be in working order. If something is broken,
please let me know.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Gerolde, hacked by phrak

- Aaron
 
Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 PM
"Thayer Williams"
 
Default Story time: Gerolde breakage

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, Syu time. Woah, that's a lot of packages.... ah well. ENTER
> Huh, why do I have apache on this laptop? I'll have to remove that later.
> Hmm... mailman? I KNOW I didn't install that... what the? OH MY GOD
> THIS IS GEROLDE!

Oh what I'd give to see the look on your face at that very moment.
I've made similar mistakes while shelled into my wife's computers, but
to do that on a production server...that's heart attack material.

Glad to see something good come from it though!
 
Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 PM
"Dusty Phillips"
 
Default Story time: Gerolde breakage

2008/8/1 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> What follows below is a recounting of the Great Gerolde Breakage of
> '08. Details are provided by eyewitness accounts, and names have been
> changed to protect the innocent.
>
> It was a dark and gloomy night, that Thursday. I had come home late,
> in a bit of a dour mood, and had been drinking a bit. I sat down at my
> computer to check some emails and do some things before bed. When I
> concluded my events for the night, I decided it was time to -Syu and
> reboot. So I closed everything down except one terminal. The events
> below were all internal monologue:
>
> Hmm, Syu time. Woah, that's a lot of packages.... ah well. ENTER
> Huh, why do I have apache on this laptop? I'll have to remove that later.
> Hmm... mailman? I KNOW I didn't install that... what the? OH MY GOD
> THIS IS GEROLDE!
>
> I immediately Ctrl-C'd because I had a "sudo reboot" queued up for
> when the -Syu finished. I paused for a moment, kicking myself for
> doing that. I checked apache, and it was still running. ftp was
> working too.
>
> Ok, good. Exit SSH. Let me -Syu locally.
>
> Re-ssh to gerolde... immediate "permission denied". Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.
>
> Yeah, I Ctrl-C'd before a kerberos upgrade was finished. This broke
> ssh, and something else goofy broke mailman.
>
> I emailed Dale, and he fixed SSH in the morning (whew, thanks a lot
> Dale). Mailman was a bit harder, but considering everything was down
> already, we switched from exim to postfix, as we'd been talking about
> it for ages. Hooray for silver linings!
>
> So. It's all back up now. Mailman is working, postfix is working, and
> everything else should be in working order. If something is broken,
> please let me know.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Gerolde, hacked by phrak

Well written and all but I seriously think we should forward this to
Skoal for some bardification. =)

Well done! Now you can get the hacked by phrak t-shirt!

Dusty
 
Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 PM
"Travis Willard"
 
Default Story time: Gerolde breakage

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Dusty Phillips <buchuki@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/1 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
>> What follows below is a recounting of the Great Gerolde Breakage of
>> '08. Details are provided by eyewitness accounts, and names have been
>> changed to protect the innocent.
>>
>> It was a dark and gloomy night, that Thursday. I had come home late,
>> in a bit of a dour mood, and had been drinking a bit. I sat down at my
>> computer to check some emails and do some things before bed. When I
>> concluded my events for the night, I decided it was time to -Syu and
>> reboot. So I closed everything down except one terminal. The events
>> below were all internal monologue:
>>
>> Hmm, Syu time. Woah, that's a lot of packages.... ah well. ENTER
>> Huh, why do I have apache on this laptop? I'll have to remove that later.
>> Hmm... mailman? I KNOW I didn't install that... what the? OH MY GOD
>> THIS IS GEROLDE!
>>
>> I immediately Ctrl-C'd because I had a "sudo reboot" queued up for
>> when the -Syu finished. I paused for a moment, kicking myself for
>> doing that. I checked apache, and it was still running. ftp was
>> working too.
>>
>> Ok, good. Exit SSH. Let me -Syu locally.
>>
>> Re-ssh to gerolde... immediate "permission denied". Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.
>>
>> Yeah, I Ctrl-C'd before a kerberos upgrade was finished. This broke
>> ssh, and something else goofy broke mailman.
>>
>> I emailed Dale, and he fixed SSH in the morning (whew, thanks a lot
>> Dale). Mailman was a bit harder, but considering everything was down
>> already, we switched from exim to postfix, as we'd been talking about
>> it for ages. Hooray for silver linings!
>>
>> So. It's all back up now. Mailman is working, postfix is working, and
>> everything else should be in working order. If something is broken,
>> please let me know.
>>
>> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>>
>> Gerolde, hacked by phrak
>
> Well written and all but I seriously think we should forward this to
> Skoal for some bardification. =)
>
> Well done! Now you can get the hacked by phrak t-shirt!

"I survived the '08 Gerold Phrak Hack"?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org