Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Allan McRae

Default ncurses todo list?

Hi all,

Does anybody have a ncurses build list? I am building ncurses with only
the wide-character libraries which should hopefully clear up a few of
the locale issues with applications using it (e.g. FS#4418, FS#6384,
FS#9872). The current situation is sort of between doing this and not
(we have only the wide character include files but both libraries).

After some initial problems (don't install an ncurses without a real
libncurses.so before fixing readline & bash!), I have this up and
working and most of the needed core rebuilds done. I'm thinking I will
push it to a separate repo first so that I can get some testing of this
by people with other locales before I push it to [testing].

Cheers,
Allan

Old 07-28-2008, 06:01 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Allan McRae <allan.mcrae@qimr.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody have a ncurses build list? I am building ncurses with only the
> wide-character libraries which should hopefully clear up a few of the locale
> issues with applications using it (e.g. FS#4418, FS#6384, FS#9872). The
> current situation is sort of between doing this and not (we have only the
> wide character include files but both libraries).
>
> After some initial problems (don't install an ncurses without a real
> libncurses.so before fixing readline & bash!), I have this up and working
> and most of the needed core rebuilds done. I'm thinking I will push it to a
> separate repo first so that I can get some testing of this by people with
> other locales before I push it to [testing].

Are you sure this actually fixes these issues? I suggested the same
thing a while back, but Roman pointed out something regarding Cyrillic
chars or something... I don't know the details, but it had to do with
the fact that not all locales are really UTF friendly.

Also, let me see if our old TODO lists have an ncurses list.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:

[...]

So I see.... (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4418#comment14208). Am I
100% percent sure? No. But I am quite confident (say 97%). From what I
have read wide-character libraries work with both multibyte and 8-bit
locales, while normal libraries work only in 8-bit locales. Anyway,
that niggling 3% is why I don't want to push it directly to testing....

How about I completely rebuild the stuff in core and stick it
somewhere. Then people can make a testing chroot, install the 10 or so
updated core packages and check that man pages work properly in their
locales. If that doesn't break, then I will go for the whole rebuild.

Also, let me see if our old TODO lists have an ncurses list.

That would be great. Thanks.

Allan

Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Allan McRae

Allan McRae wrote:

Aaron Griffin wrote:
[...]

So I am now running a fully ncursesw system here and I have no
problems. I tested with a couple ISO-8859-n locales and all seems well.

Does anybody have a good test case for something that was broken with
the old ncurses? Most of what I could find by searching in the bug
tracker appears to have been fixed by building against the ncursesw
libraries already. I can dump a tarball containing the rebuilt core
packages (and probably screen and lynx) if people would like to test
these in a chroot.

Allan

Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:

>>> Are you sure this actually fixes these issues? I suggested the same
>>> thing a while back, but Roman pointed out something regarding Cyrillic
>>> chars or something... I don't know the details, but it had to do with
>>> the fact that not all locales are really UTF friendly.
>>>

>> So I see.... (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4418#comment14208). Am I
>> 100% percent sure? No. But I am quite confident (say 97%). From what I have
>> read wide-character libraries work with both multibyte and 8-bit locales,
>> while normal libraries work only in 8-bit locales. Anyway, that niggling 3%
>> is why I don't want to push it directly to testing....
>
> So I am now running a fully ncursesw system here and I have no problems. I
> tested with a couple ISO-8859-n locales and all seems well.
>
> Does anybody have a good test case for something that was broken with the
> old ncurses? Most of what I could find by searching in the bug tracker
> appears to have been fixed by building against the ncursesw libraries
> already. I can dump a tarball containing the rebuilt core packages (and
> probably screen and lynx) if people would like to test these in a chroot.

Feel free to setup a repo in your public html. Like so (Allan, I know
you have a grasp on this. I'm just being concise for other people if
they ever want to do this):
mkdir -p ~/public_html/ncursesw/
cp *.pkg.tar.gz ~/public_html/ncursesw
cd ~/public_html/ncursesw
repo-add ncursesw.db.tar.gz *.pkg.tar.gz

Old 08-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Allan McRae

Hi all,

I have set up a repo with an ncurses version that only has wide-charater
libraries and rebuilt as many packages as I knew needed a rebuild. See
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/ncursesw for details and
the repo location. There are about a dozen build failures that I
haven't looked into yet.

I am using the packages now and have yet to find a problem so I would
appreciate some testing from others, especially people using other
locales. Only word of caution is that I haven't used ldd on the kde
packages yet so there may be some rebuilds there that I don't know
about. Also I had to do a version bump of util-linux-ng and a
patchlevel bump on vi.

Cheers,
Allan