Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Default 2008.08 ISO Release

I have no idea how easy it is to implement, but it would be nice if the iso
was able to boot from cd and usb. This way there would be no need in providing
separate img files just for booting from usb.

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Strae 76
53115 Bonn

Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre@jabber.archlinux.de
WWW http://www.archlinux.de

Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 AM
"James Rayner"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
> With the new kernel in testing, it's time to start gearing up for a
> release that will likely include the .1 or .2 kernel from this series.
> Were there any big issues besides base package selection that anyone
> noticed, or anything you wanted included in this release?

I'll try and get netcfg 2.1 done for it.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/7/22 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> With the new kernel in testing, it's time to start gearing up for a
>> release that will likely include the .1 or .2 kernel from this series.
>> Were there any big issues besides base package selection that anyone
>> noticed, or anything you wanted included in this release?
>
> I think Roman had some timezone-y things he wanted to look at. Also,
> we should probably get out new filesystem and initscript packages, so
> the ISOs don't say "Core Dump" anymore 8)

Yep, I have some fixes accumulated and am still testing time stuff to
make sure I didn't miss anything.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Thomas Bchler

Pierre Schmitz schrieb:
I have no idea how easy it is to implement, but it would be nice if the iso
was able to boot from cd and usb. This way there would be no need in providing
separate img files just for booting from usb.

I think it is not possible.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Pierre Schmitz

> Pierre Schmitz schrieb:
> > I have no idea how easy it is to implement, but it would be nice if the
> > iso was able to boot from cd and usb. This way there would be no need in
> > providing separate img files just for booting from usb.
>
> I think it is not possible.

It should be. At least grml can be booted via cd or usb. See
http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=usb

Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
>> Pierre Schmitz schrieb:
>> > I have no idea how easy it is to implement, but it would be nice if the
>> > iso was able to boot from cd and usb. This way there would be no need in
>> > providing separate img files just for booting from usb.
>>
>> I think it is not possible.
>
> It should be. At least grml can be booted via cd or usb. See
> http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=usb

Yeah, that looks easy...did you see the 10 step process? It is either
that or borrow their grml2usb script, but it seems just as easy for
people to use the IMG otherwise we go right back to what we had
before, which was this exact same pain in the ass, multiple step
process.

-Dan

Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
> With the new kernel in testing, it's time to start gearing up for a
> release that will likely include the .1 or .2 kernel from this series.
> Were there any big issues besides base package selection that anyone
> noticed, or anything you wanted included in this release?

One other thing that'd be worth fixing is the pacman cache location. I
don't know if this was a bug report or not, but currently pacman
caches packages to the ramfs system, and not the host system.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/7/23 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> With the new kernel in testing, it's time to start gearing up for a
>> release that will likely include the .1 or .2 kernel from this series.
>> Were there any big issues besides base package selection that anyone
>> noticed, or anything you wanted included in this release?
>
> One other thing that'd be worth fixing is the pacman cache location. I
> don't know if this was a bug report or not, but currently pacman
> caches packages to the ramfs system, and not the host system.

Hm, I think it was OK in my case, though it asked me about the cache two times.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)