Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
"Dan McGee"

Default kernel26 2.6.26-1 and related module packages

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> - madwifi is broken. Do we still need it? AFAIK, all chipsets should now be
> supported by ath5k by now. Can a madwifi user please look at this (Aaron,
> Dan?)

ath5k is not quite there yet- I know it is missing support for the Eee
chipset among others.

If we use an SVN snapshot instead of the horribly outdated release,
everything should work. I didn't need any patching to get it to
compile against my Eee kernel.
http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p=eee.git;a=blob;f=madwifi-eee-svn/PKGBUILD;h=005da1396f21223d4161e49b5cf85fcddcfeb15 9;hb=68a4828eeb1576dad27ef0d2497bff5ffdc0cf3d

With that said, I have never really used or tested the madwifi we ship
with Arch because the default HAL isn't compatible with the Eee
chipset. That is why the above PKGBUILD uses the hal-0.10.5.6 snapshot
branch.

-Dan

Old 07-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Pierre Schmitz

signoff for x86_64.
--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76
53115 Bonn

Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre@jabber.archlinux.de
WWW http://www.archlinux.de

Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 AM
"Dan McGee"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Eduardo Romero <k3nsai@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 22:56 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4chler_
> wrote:
>> [...]
>> i686 is untested[...]
>>
> Boots fine with nvidia, I can game as well and have good performance, I
> think my gaming skills got better with this upgrade, :-D so I give you
> my signoff, i686.

Booted and running fine (including nvidia-96xx), however I got
something I haven't seen before immediately after the kernel takes
over from grub:

Undefined video mode number: 305
blah blah press enter to see modes or wait 30 seconds

Did some video modes get deprecated or something, or what is going on
here? This is my grub configuration, I don't think it is all that
exotic:
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-label/hdroot ro vga=773

-Dan

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Thomas Bächler

Dan McGee schrieb:

Undefined video mode number: 305
blah blah press enter to see modes or wait 30 seconds

Did some video modes get deprecated or something, or what is going on
here? This is my grub configuration, I don't think it is all that
exotic:
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-label/hdroot ro vga=773

A friend of mine had this for a while with 2.6.25-ARCH, no idea why. It
works here, although I have specified it in hex (vga=0x318).

Since 2.6.25, uvesafb is working here, so I only booted up vesafb twice.
With 915resolution and uveafb, I can get a framebuffer in 1280x800, my
native resolution, which means I have square pixels even in console mode.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Does anybody else have problems with suspend2ram/disk? My Notebook just does
not wakeup after s2ram and crashes before suspending to disk.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Thomas Bächler

Pierre Schmitz schrieb:
Does anybody else have problems with suspend2ram/disk? My Notebook just does
not wakeup after s2ram and crashes before suspending to disk.

How exactly does it "not wake up". I had similar trouble with both
2.6.25 and 2.6.26, each time reverting a "bugfix" that was applied in
the late development stages helped. The kernel devs have no idea what's
happening though.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/7/22 Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:
> Thomas Bächler schrieb:

> Ah, and if anyone needs configuration changes or patches/bugfixes applied: I
> will rebuild again tonight, because I forgot to enable uvcvideo in the
> configuration, which is quite popular. So write to this list (or to
> arch-general) if you need anything.

Ouch! Didn't know you forgot that. My laptop has uvc cam on it! 8)

--
Roman Kyrylych (Ð*оман Кирилич)

Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Pierre Schmitz

> How exactly does it "not wake up".

The power led lights up, the hard drive starts spinng and that's pretty much
everything it does; blank screen and no reactions to key presses. I'll check
if I'll be able to ssh into it.

Btw: On my desktop (nforce4) suspend refused to work, too.

Anyway: because suspend is no real shostopper I would signoff for i686, too if
needed.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:00:03 +0200
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:
>
>> Thomas Bächler schrieb:
>> > Okay, I think I have enough signoffs. Any opinions on dropping
>> > wlan-ng26? According to Dan, we still need madwifi, is there an
>> > Atheros user here who will fix it (apparently, a recent enough
>> > snapshot will compile).
>> > IMO, once madwifi and lirc are fixed and I got at least one
>> > positive report for catalyst for every architecture, we can move.
>> > intel-53{6,7ep} and martian are unmaintained closed-source crap
>> > anyway, I won't be held back by those.
>> >

>> Ah, and if anyone needs configuration changes or patches/bugfixes
>> applied: I will rebuild again tonight, because I forgot to enable
>> uvcvideo in the configuration, which is quite popular. So write to
>> this list (or to arch-general) if you need anything.
>>

> report for my notebook:
>
> had to replace ath_pci module from madwifi with ath5k kernel module and
> change netcfg2 config for ath0 -> wlan0 change. works well here.
>
> running the catalyst driver works but i get a weird report when the
> module gets loaded at bootup: unknown symbol
>
> from dmesg:
>
> fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
> fglrx: Unknown symbol flush_tlb_page

My thinkpad has always misbehaved with ath_pci, so I've been using
ndiswrapper. I will try the new atheros modules when I get a chance,
to see if it behaves better.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 AM
"Jason Chu"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Does anybody else have problems with suspend2ram/disk? My Notebook just does
> not wakeup after s2ram and crashes before suspending to disk.

I can verify that I don't have problems with suspend2ram. It works great still!

Also, I have a wifi light again! This is going to take some getting used to...

Jason