Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Eric Belanger

Default What to do with the gtkam package?

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Eduardo Romero wrote:

Hi guys,

I finally got libgphoto2 to build after fighting it for almost a week. I
have already committed it to extra and gphoto2 as well. Now, gtkam is
also outdated and as I was going to build it it stops compiling saying
that libexif-gtk is needed for it to build. The thing is that
libexif-gtk is only in AUR. Three options we have that come to my mind:

1) We move libexif-gtk to extra.
2) We move gtkam to AUR.
3) We move gtkam and libexif-gtk to community.

I appreciate you inputs and suggestions on this.

Thanks

Eduardo "kensai" Romero

If you (or another dev) wants to maintain gtkam, then do option 1.
Otherwise, it's option 2.

believed to be clean.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Eduardo Romero

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:24 -0400, Eric Belanger wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Eduardo Romero wrote:
[...]
> > 1) We move libexif-gtk to extra.
> > 2) We move gtkam to AUR.
> > 3) We move gtkam and libexif-gtk to community.
[...]
> If you (or another dev) wants to maintain gtkam, then do option 1.
> Otherwise, it's option 2.

Well, I might be able to take on gtkam and libexif-gtk, just to make
some users happy. But, the problem now lies in this bug report,
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10074 someone wants gtkam withouth gnome
dependencies, but gnome users would want gtkam with gnome dependencies.

Here is what I have found, if I compile gtkam with libbonoboui and
libgnomeui installed they are picked as dependencies, and if I remove
them afterwards gtkam does not start at all, so they are not and cannot
be makedepends only.

Are we all OK with making gtkam use GNOME dependencies? Or do you have
other suggestions?

Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Jan de Groot

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:13 -0400, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:24 -0400, Eric Belanger wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> [...]
> > > 1) We move libexif-gtk to extra.
> > > 2) We move gtkam to AUR.
> > > 3) We move gtkam and libexif-gtk to community.
> [...]
> >
> > If you (or another dev) wants to maintain gtkam, then do option 1.
> > Otherwise, it's option 2.
> >

> Well, I might be able to take on gtkam and libexif-gtk, just to make
> some users happy. But, the problem now lies in this bug report,
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10074 someone wants gtkam withouth gnome
> dependencies, but gnome users would want gtkam with gnome dependencies.
>
> Here is what I have found, if I compile gtkam with libbonoboui and
> libgnomeui installed they are picked as dependencies, and if I remove
> them afterwards gtkam does not start at all, so they are not and cannot
> be makedepends only.
>
> Are we all OK with making gtkam use GNOME dependencies? Or do you have
> other suggestions?

As stated in my comment in the bugreport, the gnome dependencies don't
bring real extra features. libbonobo is something like dbus, but much
more complicated and with much more overhead. libgnome is used to launch
the gnome help browser, which I don't see as a basic requirement for a
package (I guess it uses some fallback to launch a help
browser/documentation when not depending on libgnome).
Just remove the depends, probably nobody will notice and if they do, we
can always add it back if someone can convince us there's extra value in
depending on libbonobo and libgnome.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Eduardo Romero

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 20:25 +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:13 -0400, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:24 -0400, Eric Belanger wrote:
> > > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Eduardo Romero wrote:
> > [...]
> > [...]
> > >
> > > If you (or another dev) wants to maintain gtkam, then do option 1.
> > > Otherwise, it's option 2.
> > >

> > Well, I might be able to take on gtkam and libexif-gtk, just to make
> > some users happy. But, the problem now lies in this bug report,
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10074 someone wants gtkam withouth gnome
> > dependencies, but gnome users would want gtkam with gnome dependencies.
> >
> > Here is what I have found, if I compile gtkam with libbonoboui and
> > libgnomeui installed they are picked as dependencies, and if I remove
> > them afterwards gtkam does not start at all, so they are not and cannot
> > be makedepends only.
> >
> > Are we all OK with making gtkam use GNOME dependencies? Or do you have
> > other suggestions?
>
> As stated in my comment in the bugreport, the gnome dependencies don't
> bring real extra features. libbonobo is something like dbus, but much
> more complicated and with much more overhead. libgnome is used to launch
> the gnome help browser, which I don't see as a basic requirement for a
> package (I guess it uses some fallback to launch a help
> browser/documentation when not depending on libgnome).
> Just remove the depends, probably nobody will notice and if they do, we
> can always add it back if someone can convince us there's extra value in
> depending on libbonobo and libgnome.

OK, will do, thanks for the suggestions.