Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
"Hugo Doria"

Default arch-i18n project

What do you think about creating a i18n project for Arch? Even though
I only use the system in English (my writing in English is not good,
but I read very well #), I think that a i18n project is important.

I think we could create a basic structure to facilitate the users
groups to translate Arch for their native language. I started
something (it is only an idea):

http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html

In addition to providing all pot files, this project can work to make
all the tools translatable (add gettext support, for example). We can
use the wiki, or the site, for that too.

I do not know if we need to have translations leaders (spanish leader,
German leader ...) or any more complex structure for that. We can
discuss this later.

This is just an idea and would like to hear what you guys think and,
if you are pro this, tips on how to make the project and the page work
well.

Thanks.

-- Hugo Doria

Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think about creating a i18n project for Arch? Even though
> I only use the system in English (my writing in English is not good,
> but I read very well #), I think that a i18n project is important.
>
> I think we could create a basic structure to facilitate the users
> groups to translate Arch for their native language. I started
> something (it is only an idea):
>
> http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html
>
> In addition to providing all pot files, this project can work to make
> all the tools translatable (add gettext support, for example). We can
> use the wiki, or the site, for that too.
>
> I do not know if we need to have translations leaders (spanish leader,
> German leader ...) or any more complex structure for that. We can
> discuss this later.
>
> This is just an idea and would like to hear what you guys think and,
> if you are pro this, tips on how to make the project and the page work
> well.

It might be worth getting in touch with Giovanni about this, as he's
the translation lead for pacman, and probably knows more than most of
us about the ins-and-outs.

Needless to say, my first and only language is English (though I know
a tiny bit of french and japanese), but I also see this as important,
so I will do whatever I can to help you out where I can. Also, I can
translate to en_GB if you want (colour!)

Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
"Hugo Doria"

Thank you for your support, Aaron.

I will contact Giovanni to get some information. Now I have a
question: would be better to create a project called arch-i18n or
arch-l10n?

I saw that there was already a project for the i18n Arch before, but
he ended without further information:

http://arch-i18n.berlios.de/

The last message from the project is not encouraging:

http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch/2006-May/010365.html

Does anyone know more details about this?

I had thought about creating a category "i18n" in flyspray, but
talking to Andrea Scarpino today we decided that a maillist would be
better. Anyway to create it under the Arch project?

I made some changes in the page:

http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html

Opinions?

--
Hugo Doria
http://hugodoria.org

Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 AM
"Dan McGee"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> I made some changes in the page:
>
> http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html

Not that I don't like community sites, but any reason for not using
dev.archlinux.org for this kind of stuff? I mean, that is what it is
there for...

-Dan

Old 07-14-2008, 05:00 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I made some changes in the page:
>>
>> http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html
>
> Not that I don't like community sites, but any reason for not using
> dev.archlinux.org for this kind of stuff? I mean, that is what it is
> there for...

Maybe my fault? You guys all have public_html access, it just shows up
on http://dev.archlinux.org/~username/

Feel free to use it as you see fit.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:02 PM
"Hugo Doria"

Page moved:

http://dev.archlinux.org/~hugo/arch-i18n/

-- Hugo

Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Page moved:
>
> http://dev.archlinux.org/~hugo/arch-i18n/

This looks great! While I can't really help, I can at least cheer for ya!

Keep us updated.

-- Aaron Griffin, Futurist