Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Tobias Kieslich

Default replace gqview and gqview-devel with geeqie

Hi,

I just noticed that both gqview and gqview-devel got updated and that
reminded me that the gqview project is essentially defunct. Saying that,
there is a fork called geeqie and we do have a package for the alpha
version in the aur. This version is basically a gqview-devel with some
patches. Iwas using gqview-devel with out a crash for the last year and
switched to geeqie by the end of April. No crashing there either.

So I would like to bring geeqie to extra, and by the same time abandon
the gqview packages.

any objections?

-T

Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Tobias Kieslich <tobias@justdreams.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that both gqview and gqview-devel got updated and that
> reminded me that the gqview project is essentially defunct. Saying that,
> there is a fork called geeqie and we do have a package for the alpha
> version in the aur. This version is basically a gqview-devel with some
> patches. Iwas using gqview-devel with out a crash for the last year and
> switched to geeqie by the end of April. No crashing there either.
>
> So I would like to bring geeqie to extra, and by the same time abandon
> the gqview packages.
>
> any objections?

Not from me. gqview is a lesser-used package, so I doubt you'd get
loud complaints from anyone (even though I myself use it, I tend to
use feh more)

Old 07-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Eric Belanger

I just noticed that both gqview and gqview-devel got updated and that
reminded me that the gqview project is essentially defunct. Saying that,
there is a fork called geeqie and we do have a package for the alpha
version in the aur. This version is basically a gqview-devel with some
patches. Iwas using gqview-devel with out a crash for the last year and
switched to geeqie by the end of April. No crashing there either.

So I would like to bring geeqie to extra, and by the same time abandon
the gqview packages.

any objections?

-T

If geeqie is as stable as gqview-devel like you said, then no objections
from me.

believed to be clean.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Firmicus

Eric Belanger wrote:

I just noticed that both gqview and gqview-devel got updated and
that

reminded me that the gqview project is essentially defunct. Saying that,
there is a fork called geeqie and we do have a package for the alpha
version in the aur. This version is basically a gqview-devel with some
patches. Iwas using gqview-devel with out a crash for the last year and
switched to geeqie by the end of April. No crashing there either.

So I would like to bring geeqie to extra, and by the same time abandon
the gqview packages.

any objections?

-T

If geeqie is as stable as gqview-devel like you said, then no
objections from me.

I use gqview intensively, and never experienced any problem. I have
compiled and installed geeqie-svn a few days ago (after reading this
thread) and used it everyday since then. I experienced many crashes! May
I suggest we keep gqview until geeqie reaches its first stable version?
Perhaps you can replace gqview-devel with geeqie though.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Tobias Kieslich

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Firmicus wrote:

> I use gqview intensively, and never experienced any problem. I have
> compiled and installed geeqie-svn a few days ago (after reading this
> thread) and used it everyday since then. I experienced many crashes! May
> I suggest we keep gqview until geeqie reaches its first stable version?
> Perhaps you can replace gqview-devel with geeqie though.

That sounds like a good plan. Just out of curiosity, are you aware of
any specific operations in geeqie that trigger the crash? because I have
not experienced a single one yet. Also I'm on 32bit.

-T

Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Eric Belanger

I use gqview intensively, and never experienced any problem. I have
compiled and installed geeqie-svn a few days ago (after reading this
thread) and used it everyday since then. I experienced many crashes! May
I suggest we keep gqview until geeqie reaches its first stable version?
Perhaps you can replace gqview-devel with geeqie though.

That sounds like a good plan.

Another plan would be to add geeqie and to update gqview to its devel
version. The devel version of gqview is very stable.

Just out of curiosity, are you aware of
any specific operations in geeqie that trigger the crash? because I have
not experienced a single one yet. Also I'm on 32bit.

-T

These problems might be caused by the svn revision that is used for the
package. Tobias built his package several months ago and François built
his recently. Maybe there have been new changes in the code that makes is
unstable.

I'll also try geeqie to see how it goes.
believed to be clean.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Firmicus

Eric Belanger wrote:

Another plan would be to add geeqie and to update gqview to its devel
version. The devel version of gqview is very stable.

I never tried gqview-devel because gqview just worked for me. But I
trust you on that.

Just out of curiosity, are you aware of
any specific operations in geeqie that trigger the crash? because I have
not experienced a single one yet. Also I'm on 32bit.

-T

These problems might be caused by the svn revision that is used for
the package. Tobias built his package several months ago and François
built his recently. Maybe there have been new changes in the code that
makes is unstable.

This is very much possible that some recent changes were causing this. I
built the svn version a few days ago for x86_64. The crashes occurred
mostly when performing rotate operations (with ] [ and shift-R). But I
did not investigate further since this happened during work hours ;-)

Old 07-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Tobias Kieslich

Hi guys just to make that clear,

I'm planning on bringing in the alpha version from april, which
basically is gqview-devel with a view patches that people contributed
and were both tested for a long time and reviewed.

Actual geegie development stred from there and that is what's in svn
atm. So I don't plan on bringing in svn stuff, only released tarballs.

-T

Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Firmicus

Tobias Kieslich wrote:

Hi guys just to make that clear,

I'm planning on bringing in the alpha version from april, which
basically is gqview-devel with a view patches that people contributed
and were both tested for a long time and reviewed.

Actual geegie development stred from there and that is what's in svn
atm. So I don't plan on bringing in svn stuff, only released tarballs.

-T

Sounds all right to me!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Eric Belanger

I'm planning on bringing in the alpha version from april, which
basically is gqview-devel with a view patches that people contributed
and were both tested for a long time and reviewed.

Actual geegie development stred from there and that is what's in svn
atm. So I don't plan on bringing in svn stuff, only released tarballs.

-T

Sounds all right to me!

FYI, alpha2 is out. I'll build it and see how it works, i.e., how stable
it is.

believed to be clean.