Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
"Hugo Doria"

Default Installer and i18n

Hi everyone,

I do not know what your guys think about i18n, but i'm trying to make
the installer translatable and i am almost done.

Although it seens to be working quite well, the installer still needs
more tests. It is the first time that i put my hands in gettext and
something can be wrong. A patch, the pot file and the setup can be
found here:

http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/

As i said, i never used gettext before and i'm having some problems. I
could not apply the gettext on messages that used dialog and variable
(as in function _mkfs). For more I try, the pot file or the dialog
were never correct.

Can someone test the installer and give some tips of how fix these problems?

Thanks.

-- Hugo Doria

Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

What about this patch? http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10425

Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
"Hugo Doria"

Hi,

I did not saw this patch before, but it seems to solve all the
problems and add support for i18n very well. I think that now is just
a matter of wait for the patch be officially added and open a call for
translators.

-- Hugo Doria

Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Simo Leone

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 01:23:37PM -0300, Hugo Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not saw this patch before, but it seems to solve all the
> problems and add support for i18n very well. I think that now is just
> a matter of wait for the patch be officially added and open a call for
> translators.

Well... there's a couple factors at play here. My working branch at
code.neotuli.net has a whole ton of changes in it, and will be getting
even more as I clean up the codebase, so any patches aren't going to
apply cleanly for very long.

That said, i18n is definitely something we want to add immediately after
we finish shuffling code around. Also, I was wondering whether we should
use gettext, or whether we should use bash's builtin i18n mechanism
(which is poorly documented, but easy to use). Do you know any drawbacks
to using it?

-S

Old 07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 01:23:37PM -0300, Hugo Doria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did not saw this patch before, but it seems to solve all the
>> problems and add support for i18n very well. I think that now is just
>> a matter of wait for the patch be officially added and open a call for
>> translators.
>>

> Well... there's a couple factors at play here. My working branch at
> code.neotuli.net has a whole ton of changes in it, and will be getting
> even more as I clean up the codebase, so any patches aren't going to
> apply cleanly for very long.
>
> That said, i18n is definitely something we want to add immediately after
> we finish shuffling code around. Also, I was wondering whether we should
> use gettext, or whether we should use bash's builtin i18n mechanism
> (which is poorly documented, but easy to use). Do you know any drawbacks
> to using it?

bash has a builtin i18n mechanism? Can you elaborate? I've never heard of this

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Simo Leone

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 12:39:12PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> bash has a builtin i18n mechanism? Can you elaborate? I've never heard of this

Sure, bash does some tricks with strings prefixed with a dollar sign.
Check out the -D option in the bash manpage for a very terse explanation
of what it does. It uses translations from
/usr/share/locale/[lang]/LC_MESSAGES like glibc and a whole slew of
other programs.

-S

Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 AM
"Hugo Doria"

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Well... there's a couple factors at play here. My working branch at
> code.neotuli.net has a whole ton of changes in it, and will be getting
> even more as I clean up the codebase, so any patches aren't going to
> apply cleanly for very long.

Lets wait for you to clear the codebase then. When you finish, we can
add support to i18n in the installer. Just tell me that i can work on
this.

>Also, I was wondering whether we should
> use gettext, or whether we should use bash's builtin i18n mechanism
> (which is poorly documented, but easy to use). Do you know any drawbacks
> to using it?

I found the following information:

"GNU bash 2.0 or newer has a special shorthand for translating the
string and substituting variable values in it: $ "msgid". But the use
of this construct is discouraged, due to the security holes it opens
and due to its portability problems.

The Security holes of $"..." come from the fact that after looking up
the translation of the string, bash processes it like it processes any
double-quoted string: backquote dollar and processing, like 'eval'
does."

More here: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/gettext/bash.html

-- Hugo Doria