Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Allan McRae

Default Syncing single repo with abs

Hi all,

So looking at abs I noticed it at some stage had the ability to sync
single repos:

> abs --help
Arch Build System 2.1 -- synchronization utility
usage: /usr/bin/abs [options] [repository1 [repository2 ...]]

<snip>
If no argument is given, abs will synchronize the repositories specified
in /etc/abs.conf.

But this no longer works... I'm guessing this came about with the
switch to rsync. Given it has been a while since the switch to rsync,
I'm concluding that nobody actually uses this and will remove it rather
than fix it. Any objections?

Allan

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So looking at abs I noticed it at some stage had the ability to sync single
> repos:
>
>> abs --help
> Arch Build System 2.1 -- synchronization utility
> usage: /usr/bin/abs [options] [repository1 [repository2 ...]]
>
> <snip>
> If no argument is given, abs will synchronize the repositories specified in
> /etc/abs.conf.
>

> But this no longer works... I'm guessing this came about with the switch to
> rsync. Given it has been a while since the switch to rsync, I'm concluding
> that nobody actually uses this and will remove it rather than fix it. Any
> objections?

Um, actually, that feature came about WITH the switch to rsync. How
doesn't it work?

Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Allan McRae

Travis Willard wrote:

[...]

Well, "abs core" syncs every repo, including the ones I have disabled in
/etc/abs.conf. It is because repos are disabled from being synced, not
enabled. Am I doing something wrong?

Allan

Old 07-06-2008, 05:47 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Travis Willard wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> So looking at abs I noticed it at some stage had the ability to sync
>>> single
>>> repos:

>>> Arch Build System 2.1 -- synchronization utility
>>> usage: /usr/bin/abs [options] [repository1 [repository2 ...]]
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> If no argument is given, abs will synchronize the repositories specified
>>> in
>>> /etc/abs.conf.
>>>

>>> But this no longer works... I'm guessing this came about with the switch
>>> rsync. Given it has been a while since the switch to rsync, I'm
>>> concluding
>>> that nobody actually uses this and will remove it rather than fix it.
>>> Any
>>> objections?
>>>

>> Um, actually, that feature came about WITH the switch to rsync. How
>> doesn't it work?
>>

> Well, "abs core" syncs every repo, including the ones I have disabled in
> /etc/abs.conf. It is because repos are disabled from being synced, not
> enabled. Am I doing something wrong?

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. :/ In any case, I
don't think stripping that feature out is the proper way to go - it
shoud be fixed if it's broken, not removed.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 AM
"Travis Willard"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Travis Willard wrote:

>>> Um, actually, that feature came about WITH the switch to rsync. How
>>> doesn't it work?
>>>

>> Well, "abs core" syncs every repo, including the ones I have disabled in
>> /etc/abs.conf. It is because repos are disabled from being synced, not
>> enabled. Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. :/ In any case, I
> don't think stripping that feature out is the proper way to go - it
> shoud be fixed if it's broken, not removed.

Wait wait - are you talking about JUST the command-line functionality?
ie. keeping the REPOS=(...) abs.conf syntax, but just removing the

abs core

syntax?

I suppose that works - I thought you were planning on stripping the
repo-selection feature entirely.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Allan McRae

Travis Willard wrote:

[...]

I was talking about JUST the command-line functionality. That is the
bit the is broken and apparently no-one uses. Selection from abs.conf
will definitely stay.

Allan

Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Travis Willard wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. :/ In any case, I
>>> don't think stripping that feature out is the proper way to go - it
>>> shoud be fixed if it's broken, not removed.
>>>

>> Wait wait - are you talking about JUST the command-line functionality?
>> ie. keeping the REPOS=(...) abs.conf syntax, but just removing the
>>
>> abs core
>>
>> syntax?
>>
>> I suppose that works - I thought you were planning on stripping the
>> repo-selection feature entirely.
>>

> I was talking about JUST the command-line functionality. That is the bit
> the is broken and apparently no-one uses. Selection from abs.conf will
> definitely stay.

OK, in that case I'm not so opposed. If it looks like an easy fix,
go for it, otherwise I don't think it'd hurt to lose.

In the future, I was thinking some kind of configuration or syntax to
allow people to sync a predefined list of packages, instead of whole
repos. For example, if someone wanted to rebuild only wine, they
should be able to say "abs extra/wine" or have PKGS=(extra/wine) in
abs.conf and not be required to sync everything.

Dunno if that sounds like a good idea to you or not, but people have
requested on the forums some method to sync single packages (usually
as an argument to allow anon svn access)

Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Allan McRae

Travis Willard wrote:

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

I was talking about JUST the command-line functionality. That is the bit
the is broken and apparently no-one uses. Selection from abs.conf will
definitely stay.

OK, in that case I'm not so opposed. If it looks like an easy fix,
go for it, otherwise I don't think it'd hurt to lose.

In the future, I was thinking some kind of configuration or syntax to
allow people to sync a predefined list of packages, instead of whole
repos. For example, if someone wanted to rebuild only wine, they
should be able to say "abs extra/wine" or have PKGS=(extra/wine) in
abs.conf and not be required to sync everything.

Dunno if that sounds like a good idea to you or not, but people have
requested on the forums some method to sync single packages (usually
as an argument to allow anon svn access)

Well, I had a quick attempt at fixing this. I can get the command line
arguments working but at the price of a rsync transaction per
arguement. In a coincidence "abs extra/wine" now works but syncs it
into /var/abs/wine instead of /var/abs/extra/wine. I should be able to
fix that though.

Allan

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Travis Willard wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I was talking about JUST the command-line functionality. That is the bit
>>> the is broken and apparently no-one uses. Selection from abs.conf will
>>> definitely stay.
>>>

>> OK, in that case I'm not so opposed. If it looks like an easy fix,
>> go for it, otherwise I don't think it'd hurt to lose.
>>
>> In the future, I was thinking some kind of configuration or syntax to
>> allow people to sync a predefined list of packages, instead of whole
>> repos. For example, if someone wanted to rebuild only wine, they
>> should be able to say "abs extra/wine" or have PKGS=(extra/wine) in
>> abs.conf and not be required to sync everything.
>>
>> Dunno if that sounds like a good idea to you or not, but people have
>> requested on the forums some method to sync single packages (usually
>> as an argument to allow anon svn access)
>>

> Well, I had a quick attempt at fixing this. I can get the command line
> arguments working but at the price of a rsync transaction per arguement. In
> a coincidence "abs extra/wine" now works but syncs it into /var/abs/wine
> instead of /var/abs/extra/wine. I should be able to fix that though.

Hm... dunno if that'd be an acceptable trade-off. Might put too much
load on gerolde that way - one rsync transaction per package in our
repos? Yikes.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Allan McRae

Travis Willard wrote:

[...]

Not one rsync per package, one rsyn per command line parameter. So "abs
core extra" would rsync the core dir followed by rsyncing the extra dir.