Old 07-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Eduardo Romero

Default What should we do with the wine package?

Hi,

Some users would think we should keep wine 1.0.x on extra since it is
the stable version. Some users would disagree as many bugs will never be
fixed in the stable 1.0.x tree and many features will not be added
neither. I have suggestions:

1) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond which will
provide and conflict with wine, as well in extra.
2) Latest wine version always in extra, as this is an evolutionary
package, and people like to have the latest version of it.
3) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond in unstable.

Please, add your suggestions, but I would like 1 or 2 to become the
solution, I really don't like 3, since wine isn't unstable, just ever
changing and adding features.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Allan McRae

Eduardo Romero wrote:

Hi,

Some users would think we should keep wine 1.0.x on extra since it is
the stable version. Some users would disagree as many bugs will never be
fixed in the stable 1.0.x tree and many features will not be added
neither. I have suggestions:

1) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond which will
provide and conflict with wine, as well in extra.
2) Latest wine version always in extra, as this is an evolutionary
package, and people like to have the latest version of it.
3) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond in unstable.

Please, add your suggestions, but I would like 1 or 2 to become the
solution, I really don't like 3, since wine isn't unstable, just ever
changing and adding features.

I see the difficulty. It looks like wine 1.1.x is released every two
weeks so will be much like the old wine releases that people always
wanted really quickly... But it is marked as the developmental branch
now and in general we ship the latest stable package.

I'd go with #2 and see how many complaints you get.

Allan

Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Daniel Isenmann

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 20:51:30 -0400
Eduardo Romero <k3nsai@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some users would think we should keep wine 1.0.x on extra since it is
> the stable version. Some users would disagree as many bugs will never
> be fixed in the stable 1.0.x tree and many features will not be added
> neither. I have suggestions:
>
> 1) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond which will
> provide and conflict with wine, as well in extra.
> 2) Latest wine version always in extra, as this is an evolutionary
> package, and people like to have the latest version of it.
> 3) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond in unstable.
>
> Please, add your suggestions, but I would like 1 or 2 to become the
> solution, I really don't like 3, since wine isn't unstable, just ever
> changing and adding features.

In my opinion, wine was and is always an development package. There
were never complains about the latest wine release in the past, why
should there be complains in the future about the latest wine package.
I would provide always the latest wine package in extra, no separation
between wine and wine-unstable.

+1 for #2

Daniel

Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Paul Mattal

Eduardo Romero wrote:

Hi,

Some users would think we should keep wine 1.0.x on extra since it is
the stable version. Some users would disagree as many bugs will never be
fixed in the stable 1.0.x tree and many features will not be added
neither. I have suggestions:

1) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond which will
provide and conflict with wine, as well in extra.
2) Latest wine version always in extra, as this is an evolutionary
package, and people like to have the latest version of it.
3) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond in unstable.

Please, add your suggestions, but I would like 1 or 2 to become the
solution, I really don't like 3, since wine isn't unstable, just ever
changing and adding features.

I would support whatever decision you decide here, Eduardo. I'm
generally in favor of having a stable package in extra, but it might not
make sense in this case.

I'd go with whatever you think makes most sense, and switch later if you
find it's not working.

Best,
- P

Old 07-07-2008, 04:05 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Paul Mattal <paul@mattal.com> wrote:
> Eduardo Romero wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some users would think we should keep wine 1.0.x on extra since it is
>> the stable version. Some users would disagree as many bugs will never be
>> fixed in the stable 1.0.x tree and many features will not be added
>> neither. I have suggestions:
>>
>> 1) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond which will
>> provide and conflict with wine, as well in extra.
>> 2) Latest wine version always in extra, as this is an evolutionary
>> package, and people like to have the latest version of it.
>> 3) wine 1.0.x in extra and wine-devel 1.1.0 and beyond in unstable.
>>
>> Please, add your suggestions, but I would like 1 or 2 to become the
>> solution, I really don't like 3, since wine isn't unstable, just ever
>> changing and adding features.
>
> I would support whatever decision you decide here, Eduardo. I'm generally in
> favor of having a stable package in extra, but it might not make sense in
> this case.
>
> I'd go with whatever you think makes most sense, and switch later if you
> find it's not working.

I'll side with Paul on this issue. I like "stable" versions, but at
the same time, I figure you know best - go with your gut on this one

Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Eduardo Romero

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 11:05 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> > I would support whatever decision you decide here, Eduardo. I'm generally in
> > favor of having a stable package in extra, but it might not make sense in
> > this case.
> >
> > I'd go with whatever you think makes most sense, and switch later if you
> > find it's not working.
>
> I'll side with Paul on this issue. I like "stable" versions, but at
> the same time, I figure you know best - go with your gut on this one

Let's see if my guts gets me many complains. :-D Thanks for your
suggestions here guys, I went the always the latest wine version in
extra way. Hope it all turns out OK.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Eric Belanger

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Eduardo Romero wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 11:05 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > >
> > > I would support whatever decision you decide here, Eduardo. I'm generally in
> > > favor of having a stable package in extra, but it might not make sense in
> > > this case.
> > >
> > > I'd go with whatever you think makes most sense, and switch later if you
> > > find it's not working.
> >
> > I'll side with Paul on this issue. I like "stable" versions, but at
> > the same time, I figure you know best - go with your gut on this one
> >
> Let's see if my guts gets me many complains. :-D Thanks for your
> suggestions here guys, I went the always the latest wine version in
> extra way. Hope it all turns out OK.

Also, if you notice that a release has important problems and/or
regressions, you can always decide to skip it and to wait for the next
one.

believed to be clean.